GOLFMKV

APR A02 Flow Formed Wheels are Here - 4 Colors - 5 Sizes

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

Product Page

APR A02 FLOW FORMED WHEELS

APR A02 Flow Formed Wheels pay homage to several classic wheels in a new and unique design that is sure to turn heads! Central to the wheel is a classic 5-spoke pattern that has been hollowed out for weight savings and interlaced inside of a 5-spoke Y pattern that pays respect to the APR A01 wheels. The meshing together of these two iconic designs brings together a snow flake pattern we all love from decades past.

The wheels are flow formed, which means they are strong and light weight, yet cost dramatically less then forged wheels. Finite Element Analysis (FEA) was used to reduce spoke width to reduce weight while providing the strength necessary to achieve a 720 KG load rating. Furthermore, weight saving pockets are cut behind the wheel face to reduce weight.

Strong billet aluminum CNC-machined rings allow the wheels to be compatible with both common center bores, and won’t wobble, crack, or crumble like other materials. The center caps are removable and upgradeable and are even compatible with various OEM center caps for a stealth look! The lug bolts are compatible with OEM ball seat lugs, and the barrel has anti-slip machining features to prevent tire-to-wheel rotation.

FEATURES AND BENEFITS

• Hyper Silver, Anthracite, Satin Black, and Bronze wheel colors
  • 18x8.5” ET45, 18x9.0” ET40, 19x8.5” ET45, 19x9.0” ET40, and 20x9.0” ET37 sizes
  • 9-11 kg depending on size
  • Flow-formed aluminum construction for an extreme weight to strength ratio at an affordable price
  • Light weight design with weight saving pockets behind the wheel face
  • 5x112mm bolt pattern fits most Audi, Seat, Skoda, and VW Vehicles from 2005+
  • Fits both common VAG center bores (66.5mm and 57.1mm)
  • Billet aluminum CNC-machined center locking rings which prevent wobble, cracking and crumbling like other materials
  • Tested to SAE J2530 and VIA/JWL specifications
  • Compatible with various OEM Audi, Seat, Skoda, and VW center-caps
  • Compatible with OEM-style and length ball seat lug bolts
  • Ant-Slip machining on the barrel to prevent tire-to-wheel rotation
  • Finite Element Analysis (FEA) designed to minimize weight, yet retain a 720 KG load rating

Hyper Silver

Anthracite

Bronze

Satin Black

Product Page

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
They do seem inspired by the goofball 3d printed HREs.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
How are those inspired by the AO1 aside from being loosely a five spoke design and a wheel?

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Come on now, these are literally the same as HRE FF-10 wheels, but at a better price point. I have know idea how wheel designs work in industry. Licensing? Does APR have some affiliation through different companies? I'm sure more nefarious brands are just straight ripping designs off. Given how many replicas and same/similar designs there are across wheel manufacturers, most designs are not being patented, trademark, copyrighted, and so on I would think.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Come on now, these are literally the same as HRE FF-10 wheels, but at a better price point. I have know idea how wheel designs work in industry. Licensing? Does APR have some affiliation through different companies? I'm sure more nefarious brands are just straight ripping designs off. Given how many replicas and same/similar designs there are across wheel manufacturers, most designs are not being patented, trademark, copyrighted, and so on I would think.
Yeah, I would assume you're correct and a lot of companies don't go through the process of doing anything with the design necessarily. I could see more focus being on if you came up with a new way of making the wheel stronger, lighter, etc of going through and getting a patent for that. In art school back in the day we always used to use an arbitrary number of "change it at least 30%" if a client came to you with wanted something essentially reproduced. Obviously that number is subjective and doesn't really mean anything to anyone haha. I would be curious to see a flat front photo though overlaid on the HRE because they do look near identical (but you're right, this happens with wheels all the time to the point where there's a whole "reps" industry).

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Yeah, I would assume you're correct and a lot of companies don't go through the process of doing anything with the design necessarily. I could see more focus being on if you came up with a new way of making the wheel stronger, lighter, etc of going through and getting a patent for that. In art school back in the day we always used to use an arbitrary number of "change it at least 30%" if a client came to you with wanted something essentially reproduced. Obviously that number is subjective and doesn't really mean anything to anyone haha. I would be curious to see a flat front photo though overlaid on the HRE because they do look near identical (but you're right, this happens with wheels all the time to the point where there's a whole "reps" industry).

After staring at this for a bit longer, there is one discernable difference I can find. The spot between the triangular portion. There's your 30% I suppose. :)

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
How are those inspired by the AO1 aside from being loosely a five spoke design and a wheel?

Took the 5 spoke Y, continued it across. Did the 5 star (hollow) inside.

Same guy who did the A01 did these.

You'll find with any design, there's going to be something similar. Wheels just are that way unless you go off the wall.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Similar wheels are similar, and my preference is for something more simple. But adding the squares in paint took me way longer than spotting two differences that I wouldn't consider nit-picky. If we want to pick nits more differences show up, but we would never pick nits, would we :ROFLMAO:.

1669964926539.png