GOLFMKV

APR “Emissions Compliant Drop-in Turbocharger”

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Arguably you have that now for the Golf/GTI with the IS20/38 upgrades that run the stock DP. I suppose for the R it's the same deal - some aftermarket larger turbo than the 38 that runs with the stock DP.

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
Arguably you have that now for the Golf/GTI with the IS20/38 upgrades that run the stock DP. I suppose for the R it's the same deal - some aftermarket larger turbo than the 38 that runs with the stock DP.

Yeah, my assumption is that it’s some sort of IS38 hybrid which is good for low-400”ish” HP. I’ll be curious what the price point will be (or more likely how overpriced it will be) and I also find it interesting they’re marketing it primarily from the ‘emissions compliant’ perspective right off the bat (vice a ‘Stage 2-like level of performance‘ perspective).

*Edit: A little interesting to me that APR is saying this won’t be a hybrid.

Attachments

• F1546829-C767-488A-89CD-4CB8BD972083.jpeg
    F1546829-C767-488A-89CD-4CB8BD972083.jpeg
    449.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Pretty much how @tigeo stated.
It is just another stock location turbo that will flow more air. Perhaps an increased intake side diameter with lighter wheels. I think that is what they are referring to as “emissions compliant”; because it would be able to run more efficiently, lower EGT, and generate more power in doing so.
The wordsmithing just makes it sound mo betta....

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
it’s emissions compliant because it works with all oem parts including downpipe and it’s technically not a hybrid since they are using all new apr designed parts including the bearing section

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
it’s emissions compliant because it works with all oem parts including downpipe and it’s technically not a hybrid since they are using all new apr designed parts including the bearing section

So you're saying that it's OEM specs with just upgraded bearings? Must be a hybrid with different wheels because I can't imagine replacing an OEM turbo just for better bearings.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
APR has removed "Stage 2" which really just means "downpipe file". Now they show Stage 3 for some models that really just means "different turbo on the stock downpipe so no need to mess with the CEL in the tune file".

Rtarded

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 APR S2 DSG R
I'm interested in what APR will have in mind with this upgrade kit. I've got my Stage 2 registered and paid for so I'm just waiting for my downpipe to come in. My APR shop is telling me the idea behind the turbo kit is to price them cheap enough to make it highly competitive. So 1k spinnybois with software after your initial purchase of APR stage 1.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I wonder if they got their hands on an e-turbo.