GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apple Carplay USB not connecting

jhbjrpdx

Car(s)
2020 GTI 6M
Had my GTI 6M for a week and love it. Carplay was flawless now it act like the USB will not connect. Bluetooth works fine. I got it to connect once but now it is back to not seeing the USB when I plug it in. I tried rebooting the iPhone 8 and no joy. What am I missing? Thanks.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You still receive power, just not app connection?

Try rebooting the head unit by holding down the volume knob for 10+ seconds. Should turn off and then do a "long start" screen where the logo stays for a few seconds. If that fails, try deleting the saved cars on your phone and reconnecting.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
You can also clear the saved phones from the car. I think it's one of the two I recall reading is part of the fix if you have power but no connection. I use android auto, so I don't have any first hand experience troubleshooting.

jhbjrpdx

Car(s)
2020 GTI 6M
I think I figured it out. So the 10 second reset is helpful. I was testing different cables and it looks like it doesn't like to have disconnect a session and try to just plug in again and connect. A new session after turning off the ignition worked and if it didn't a reset did the trick. It also seems to work to reset if you unplug and plug back in. I think I am good now. Thanks for the ideas.

Nyulak

Ready to race!
If I plug in my phone before starting the car, this happens to me fairly often. I find that starting the car and letting the system boot and run for about five seconds before plugging in the phone helps. Otherwise, I unplug the phone and connect it again.

joswald21

Car(s)
2020 GTI
If I plug in my phone before starting the car, this happens to me fairly often. I find that starting the car and letting the system boot and run for about five seconds before plugging in the phone helps. Otherwise, I unplug the phone and connect it again.
I agree 100%. It’s definitely glitchy/buggy/not-quite-right…

Theory

Car(s)
2019 VW GTI
I have never got my android auto to work. Had the car 3 days and the USB charges my phone buy nothing registers on the app connect page at all.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I have never got my android auto to work. Had the car 3 days and the USB charges my phone buy nothing registers on the app connect page at all.
Double check your cable is a data cable, and if possible swap cables. I've noticed the VW USB is picky about what cables it'll use.