GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apple Carplay dongles

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
^ That's good to know. You're using the same model in the discussion above?
I’m also using the newer version that’s utilizing the usb-c connection... I have a very modified audio system and I as well as not able to hear and audio quality loss. Steering controls are slower but we are talk ing in the half a second range.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I’m also using the newer version that’s utilizing the usb-c connection... I have a very modified audio system and I as well as not able to hear and audio quality loss. Steering controls are slower but we are talk ing in the half a second range.
Seconded; I’ve done multiple back to back comparisons between wired and wireless and I haven’t been able to discern any difference in audio quality (at least on the stock Fender system in a ‘19 SE.)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I update everything.. They release versions updates pretty frequently to the dongle so I wouldn't worry. These have been around a long time and they've gotten much better recently, Apple doesn't care.

Also to be fair it's definitely not indistinguishable. If you go back and forth between wired without adapter and wireless through adapter it is obvious. Wireless is slower at everything (but not enough to be unusable by any means). Sound quality is noticeably worse. It's also slightly slower to bootup and connect, since first the app connect for VW boots up and loads the dongle, and then the dongle boots up and then connects to the iPhone. I timed it and it adds about an extra 30 seconds or so (compared to just having your phone plugged in).

THAT SAID.... For short trips (and in the winter especially) you can't beat the convenience and leaving your phone in my pocket the whole time. Even with the slightly slower UI and worse audio quality I still use the dongle.

PS: I have the older one (the one with the wire built in), I've never tried the "2.0" one, maybe its faster/better.

Completely agree! .. but didn't know you lose audio resolution with these things. That sucks.
I think I'll just continue to use Siri via BT and go hands free.

Music source has to be taken into consideration as well. If you're just streaming Spotify, the default setting is just 160kbps, and caps out at 320kbps. That is going to sound the same wether it's wired or wireless.

is there an android version of this yet? the amazon descriptions are kinda janky.

This is the first one. I backed it early, so my unit should be shipping by mid-December, but from Hong Kong, so it'll probably be January by the time I get it. They do plan on having it available to be bought sometime next year.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
You both are using the newer 2.0 version one? Maybe it's faster I'll report back when I receive mine in the mail.

Worth noting that I've experienced no loss in audio quality compared to Bluetooth, and there's no slow UI either.
I'm not comparing to playing via bluetooth which is compressed/bad quality. I'm comparing to using CarPlay using a USB cable (without the dongle). If you use a high quality audio source, its a noticeable difference. UI lag is also worse, but that could be the older version of the dongle that I have, its on latest software which made it a lot more stable.

That half second of lag is exactly what I'm referring to. With the cord its instant. It also has a half second delay with UI interactions.

I don't mean to sound nitpicky but I think people spending $100 on this should know what they're getting, not a "10/10 review". Theres a reason this thing has a shit ton of 1 star reviews. I'm happy with it but will continue to be honest with its negatives. I think I've given it a pretty favourable review honestly.

Also good luck if you have problems getting help from the sellers. They don't really speak English and just ask for photos and videos before ignoring you. The first one I got was useless for the first 4 months (horrible disconnections and audio wouldn't play), before they finally had enough firmware updates that it got to the state its in now that's usable and I like it. I'm hoping the 2.0 is noticeably faster (as some of you mention) so I ordered it.

Last edited:

dbhajek

You both are using the newer 2.0 version one? Maybe it's faster I'll report back when I receive mine in the mail.

I'm not comparing to playing via bluetooth which is compressed/bad quality. I'm comparing to using CarPlay using a USB cable (without the dongle). If you use a high quality audio source, its a noticeable difference. UI lag is also worse, but that could be the older version of the dongle that I have, its on latest software which made it a lot more stable.

That half second of lag is exactly what I'm referring to. With the cord its instant. It also has a half second delay with UI interactions.

I don't mean to sound nitpicky but I think people spending $100 on this should know what they're getting, not a "10/10 review". Theres a reason this thing has a shit ton of 1 star reviews. I'm happy with it but will continue to be honest with its negatives. I think I've given it a pretty favourable review honestly.

Also good luck if you have problems getting help from the sellers. They don't really speak English and just ask for photos and videos before ignoring you. The first one I got was useless for the first 4 months (horrible disconnections and audio wouldn't play), before they finally had enough firmware updates that it got to the state its in now that's usable and I like it. I'm hoping the 2.0 is noticeably faster (as some of you mention) so I ordered it.

I have the older version and the delay, especially using the map prompts, is really bad. I don't use mine.

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
Worth noting that I've experienced no loss in audio quality compared to Bluetooth, and there's no slow UI either.
which one are you using? because audio quality is about the only thing that im not willing to compromise
and i already notice a slight decrease when i go to apple carplay from bluetooth...
thnks!

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Music source has to be taken into consideration as well. If you're just streaming Spotify, the default setting is just 160kbps, and caps out at 320kbps. That is going to sound the same wether it's wired or wireless.

Most people don't get this, but we're all streaming today using our phones through Apple Music/Spotify which caps out at 320KBP/s, so you will probably never hear a difference even when upgrading sound systems.