GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apple CarPlay bad audio quality during calls

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I’ve been having issues with CarPlay but only during phone calls. Audio from music or podcasts is clear and never a problem. However, when I’m on a phone call, the other person often sounds like a robot. It’s very glitchy and robotic sounding with static cutting in and out.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I have the exact same issue. Have tried every permutation of cable imaginable (including multiple Apple OEM) to no effect. Even had the dealer check out the head unit to make sure it wasn't firmware related. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears as well!

ImpetuousOne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTi S DSG
Think I might've fried something inside my HU using a set of removal keys. Stuck the blade into the lower right slot, missing the little release tang and went too deep. Noticed a small wisp of smoke coming out from behind the unit and pulled the removal key out right quick!

Now my bluetooth playback is in slow speed, like 30-40% of normal. Downloaded content on my phone also plays slow. My FM tuner fails to locate even one single radio station and with hands-free calling, the person I'm talking to can't hear me. Weirdest thing is that everything was working normal for about 2 weeks after I got it back together.

Now I'm debating whether to buy an aftermarket HU or bring this messed up one to the dealer now that I've removed my entire aftermarket sub/amp.

Anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket HU with all the functionality of the OEM?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
wasbaggedonce - Have you tried another phone to see if that "fixes" it? Also, do you have another Bluetooth headset that shows the same problem (indicates it's the phone and not the car) or is it OK (indicates it's the car and not the phone)? It other audio sounds good, it sounds like the phone is the culprit.

MilkToast20, you might want to make your question its own thread as it isn't really related to the OP's question and others around here might miss it if they don't open this thread. If I were you, I'd put it all back together stock and bring it in to the dealer under warranty. Not exactly the most honest thing to do I suppose since you fried it yourself but it might get you a new HU.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
wasbaggedonce - Have you tried another phone to see if that "fixes" it? Also, do you have another Bluetooth headset that shows the same problem (indicates it's the phone and not the car) or is it OK (indicates it's the car and not the phone)? It other audio sounds good, it sounds like the phone is the culprit.
Not sure if OP is having the same experience, but for me it 1) never happens over Bluetooth, only CarPlay, and 2) occurs with multiple iPhones. Indicates to me that it's either A) an Apple bug in iOS/CarPlay, or B) an issue with VW/infotainment/AppConnect.

Last edited:

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn

MilkToast20, you might want to make your question its own thread as it isn't really related to the OP's question and others around here might miss it if they don't open this thread. If I were you, I'd put it all back together stock and bring it in to the dealer under warranty. Not exactly the most honest thing to do I suppose since you fried it yourself but it might get you a new HU.

It does the same thing with my girlfriends phone. The rest of my Bluetooth items work fine with my phone. AirPods, sound bar, Alexa, etc.

Seems to be an issue with the head unit.

iceorbital

Passed Driver's Ed
I apologize for the off topic but what was that feature? I was in 890 and my call issues were fixed with 879. I don’t think I loss anything or introduce any new bugs

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I apologize for the off topic but what was that feature? I was in 890 and my call issues were fixed with 879. I don’t think I loss anything or introduce any new bugs
Probably trivial for most, but under Display settings there was something called "display time in standby mode". With that checked, turning infotainment off would show a clock on the screen. With the option unchecked, the display would turn fully off (my preference.) 0879 removed this option altogether so that you could not ever turn the display fully off. Super disliked this behavior and am glad to have the option back on 0867. I'm still trying to figure out if 0890 or 0879 is newer; the numbers are apparently not sequential and there's a great difference of opinion on it generally, I've found.