GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APPLE Car Play Wireless

mcrook

Does anyone know if Apple IPhone or Android for that matter is able to be used without plugging into the USB port? Why can't it be used like a Bluetooth device. The cable seems so archaic and defeats the purpose...no different than my old ipod nano....any help wold appreciated..2017 GTI SE

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I remember reading an article a few months back about wireless Android Auto. The technology apparently does exist, but it's only found on some extremely high end aftermarket head units.

It doesn't transmit over bluetooth either though, something else (wifi maybe?). Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth to transfer all the data required of android auto. I think it also said it was a huge battery hog, which pretty much requires it to be plugged in anyway...

I'd imagine Carplay suffers the same way.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Wireless CarPlay uses a combination of Bluetooth & WiFi to function. I doubt that it's much of a drain of phone power, unless maybe if you're using nav on the phone, which will definitely use a fair amount of juice.

BMW is the only OEM I'm aware of that offers it today. The rest of the automakers need to get busy and bring it. A factory wireless charging pad and wireless CarPlay would finally make CarPlay as convenient as using the native software the head unit provides.

mcrook

No. It’s missing the WiFi chip and software from apple to enable wireless CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick response. I'll look for an retractable wire or the accessory box that fits into the cubby that you can just dock the phone instead of hooking/unhook in the wire each time. I just can't remember where I saw it on utube.

mcrook

I remember reading an article a few months back about wireless Android Auto. The technology apparently does exist, but it's only found on some extremely high end aftermarket head units.

It doesn't transmit over bluetooth either though, something else (wifi maybe?). Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth to transfer all the data required of android auto. I think it also said it was a huge battery hog, which pretty much requires it to be plugged in anyway...

I'd imagine Carplay suffers the same way.

Thanks for the response. It doesn't appear there is a way yet. I thought we had come farther than that but apparently not. oh well.

mcrook

Wireless CarPlay uses a combination of Bluetooth & WiFi to function. I doubt that it's much of a drain of phone power, unless maybe if you're using nav on the phone, which will definitely use a fair amount of juice.

BMW is the only OEM I'm aware of that offers it today. The rest of the automakers need to get busy and bring it. A factory wireless charging pad and wireless CarPlay would finally make CarPlay as convenient as using the native software the head unit provides.

Thanks for the response....looks like I bought wrong "W".....lol.

Honestly if I ever have a car that can do wireless, then I will never use it for the following 3 reasons....

1.) As others said it drains your battery. Trust me its going to drain your battery more than just being connected to WiFi and browsing the internet. It's constantly pushing that image back in forth hundreds of times a minute to make sure there's as little lag as possible on the display. Trust me... It's going to drain quickly.

2.) I prefer to have my phone charging in my car. Pretty much every time I get in the car, my phone is below 90% and could use a charge. So not only will my battery not drain, but it will increase.

3.) Lastly something no one has mentioned, audio quality. Anyone who enjoys music at least moderately who's played music through Bluetooth and through a wired connection will realize there's a HUGE difference. Playing any audio through Bluetooth is going to have way less depth and sound kind of washed out. Hardly any bass and hardly any treble.

If you haven't noticed this, then try it. Play a song through Bluetooth in your car first, then pause the song and play the same song, at the same volume through a wired Android Auto or Apple Car Play connection.

The difference is literally night and day.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
1.) As others said it drains your battery. Trust me its going to drain your battery more than just being connected to WiFi and browsing the internet. It's constantly pushing that image back in forth hundreds of times a minute to make sure there's as little lag as possible on the display. Trust me... It's going to drain quickly.

Source of this information? I seriously doubt that it's "constantly pushing that image back and forth hundreds of times". Where did you get that idea?

3.) Lastly something no one has mentioned, audio quality. Anyone who enjoys music at least moderately who's played music through Bluetooth and through a wired connection will realize there's a HUGE difference. Playing any audio through Bluetooth is going to have way less depth and sound kind of washed out. Hardly any bass and hardly any treble.

Wireless CarPlay doesn't compress the music, it's not using Bluetooth to stream, it's using 5gHz WiFi.

The difference is literally night and day.

Source of this information? I seriously doubt that it's "constantly pushing that image back and forth hundreds of times". Where did you get that idea?

Wireless CarPlay doesn't compress the music, it's not using Bluetooth to stream, it's using 5gHz WiFi.

You don't know what a display refresh rate is? I didnt provide a source because I figured it was common logic among car guys. (See I can be an asshole too ?)

So when casting an image wirelessly, to keep up with that refresh rate of display, the device has to send the image to the display through the air at minimum equal to the refresh rate of the display. Otherwise the display will look choppy/stuttering.

Most displays are 60Hz, but it's possible the display in the 2016-17 GTI's are only 30hz. That means it updates the image on the display 30 times per second. The device casting that image has to send an updated image to cast to the display every one of those times.

So actually at 30 times at second it sends the image to the display through the air 1,800 times in just 1 minute. You still want a source? Just simply google "chromecast refresh rate" pulls up....

"Chromecast Ultra is designed to pick the maximum refresh rate (up to 60Hz) and resolution supported by your 4K Ultra HD TV's HDMI connection."

Source right here.

Chromecast uses the same technology as wireless Android Auto and wireless CarPlay. It casts the image over WiFi to your router, then from the router to the display. It does that 60 times per second. So to get an idea of how much it drains your battery, get a Chromecast and play it for 10 minutes from your phone to see how much battery drains. If using navigation at the same time, then it will drain even much faster than that.

I never said CarPlay compresses music. Even if it doesn't, then it's still not going to be nearly the same quality over the air, even though it's using WiFi instead of Bluetooth. It will be better than Bluetooth, but still not the same as a direct wired connection by auxiliary or by USB.

In regards to Bluetooth Audio quality vs. Aux or USB Audi quality, this is also another common known fact among not just audiophiles but anyone who reads about tech reviews.

Source right here.

It talks a ton about how Bluetooth Audio basically sucks. It does say how casting audio is much better over WiFi, but also talks about how casting audio over WiFi can still be a bottleneck, but just not as much as Bluetooth.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
If the image is being refreshed over the air 30 or 60 times a second under wireless CarPlay, I'll eat my airedale. Why would a still image such as album art need to be refreshed at all once received by the infotainment system? It's not like it's moving video.

Chromecast is a turd. Like most Google products.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

dude just google it.
https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/...ess-android-auto-but-almost-no-one-can-use-it

You might not be missing too much, though. Android Auto wireless mode will use substantially more power on your phone (it’s pushing data over Wi-Fi continuously), and it’s not plugged into the car to recharge at the same time.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
If the image is being refreshed over the air 30 or 60 times a second under wireless CarPlay, I'll eat my airedale. Why would a still image such as album art need to be refreshed at all once received by the infotainment system? It's not like it's moving video.

Chromecast is a turd. Like most Google products.

That's where video compression comes into things - if the data doesn't need updating, it won't be updated. Oversimplification, but it gives you an idea.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I do notice a difference in audio quality of wired vs over the air... Prefer wired. I even prefer to use my BoseQCII headphones wired because of this, even though one of the selling points for those is bluetooth connectivity.