GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyway to reduce the R from bottoming out?

al3xh

read my post
Ah I see the earlier post now, so if we cut the limiter the tire can possibly contact the body on hard impacts? Also, is the limiter the black ring? If so, it seems like there's an available 55mm bump stock at least for the 2017 GTI without the ring, part # 1K0412303F, maybe that can be used?

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
the wheel is never going to contact the body and the other bump stop is only 2mm shorter its not worth the time and money to switch just cut the limiter off

Last edited:

al3xh

I jacked her up and looked, turns out I have the bump stop without the plastic limiter and still have the harsh bottom out sound.

bump stop.jpg

Looks exactly like part #1K0412303F

Perhaps there's something else to this problem.

spessx

Ready to race!
So my 2016 Base Golf R does this. It's so bad that I really don't even enjoy driving it that much. My 2001 S2000 is much smoother on the streets around my house. Because it's a base Golf R, it does not have DCC. Also, I've added 19" Pretorias and Eibach springs which lower it .5". I don't know if the springs and wheels made it worse because I changed them when I lived in a different neighborhood with smoother streets.

I have jacked it up and checked for strut pucks and they had been removed properly - so that's not it.

Has anyone come up with a way to make their car not have this issue?

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
So my 2016 Base Golf R does this. It's so bad that I really don't even enjoy driving it that much. My 2001 S2000 is much smoother on the streets around my house. Because it's a base Golf R, it does not have DCC. Also, I've added 19" Pretorias and Eibach springs which lower it .5". I don't know if the springs and wheels made it worse because I changed them when I lived in a different neighborhood with smoother streets.

I have jacked it up and checked for strut pucks and they had been removed properly - so that's not it.

Has anyone come up with a way to make their car not have this issue?

My 16' R was the same, I was pretty worked up over it because I test drove it on smooth roads but when I brought it home, not only would slight road imperfections be felt, but anything abrupt felt like someone hit the bottom of the car with a sledgehammer. In my case, fresh shocks & struts all but eliminated this. I opted for Bilstein B6 on the stock springs while refreshing all rubber isolators & bushings. The car feels like a spritely 3 series now as far as composure and ability to mitigate imperfections. I only had like 43k miles on it when I did this. Not sure if the stuck gear is horrid from the factory or they just wear out quickly but the difference was night and day.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I hate extra firm riding cars but found the R to be OK once I carefully monitored the tire pressures. Do you adjust them according to the ambient temperature and the forecasts? Do you run 2 PSI lower than the factory recommendation?

al3xh

Eventually switched to 17'' rims with touring tires for softer compound and it eliminated this problem unless going through an extreme pothole. Traded off some handling but my ass does not pucker nearly as frequently now which I find worthwhile.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I think the R rides rough as well, but I had a MK7 GTI with VWR springs on 19inch as daily driver and compared to that, the R is VERY compliant. My current daily driver is a 19 WRX Limited (18inch wheels with DWS06) and she is very comfy.

I have no plans to modify my Golf-R's suspension (DCC) and will continue to ride on 19 inch wheels.. and since mine is a hobby car, I just choose smoother roads to drive on. She does absolutely fine for me.

ohtwo

Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
My 16' R was the same, I was pretty worked up over it because I test drove it on smooth roads but when I brought it home, not only would slight road imperfections be felt, but anything abrupt felt like someone hit the bottom of the car with a sledgehammer. In my case, fresh shocks & struts all but eliminated this. I opted for Bilstein B6 on the stock springs while refreshing all rubber isolators & bushings. The car feels like a spritely 3 series now as far as composure and ability to mitigate imperfections. I only had like 43k miles on it when I did this. Not sure if the stuck gear is horrid from the factory or they just wear out quickly but the difference was night and day.
Old thread, but curious if your improvements held up over time? My new-to-me 2019 GTI with DCC has the same issue. It feels like there's no damper travel in the front, regardless of drive mode. Just bang bang bang over every expansion joint in the road.

CmlapisMK7R

I'm currently running Bilstein B16 Damptronic Coilovers and have similar issues. I cut two nubs of the bumpstops and went to a 18" Websport TC105X wheels. It definitely made and improvement. I also have seen APR came out with bumpstops for lowered cars. You could try this also. Someone had suggested going to a thinner coil spring like Tien for my B16 coilovers.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Old thread, but curious if your improvements held up over time? My new-to-me 2019 GTI with DCC has the same issue. It feels like there's no damper travel in the front, regardless of drive mode. Just bang bang bang over every expansion joint in the road.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK: I guess I would need to see how big the expansion joint is. If it's big enough, I get a big thump on wide ones. I run my tires 2-3 PSI under the prescribed 39 pounds cold for my 19s. I adjust them in the garage. I also have a thermometer in the garage at about 5 feet from the ground in the middle of the garage. I set the tires to 36-37 PSI cold, taking into consideration what the outside temperature will be for the time of year, so I'm not "overfilling" them when the garage is warmer than outside. I consider this the main cause of a poor ride. I bet 99.999% of people either overfill their tires, or worse not check them every couple of weeks or so. Even if the car is outside, which is worse for trying to set tires pressures, the tire pressures will rise a good 2-3 pounds just from the heat generated through friction from driving and any direct sunlight. It's a tricky thing to get it so the ride is good all of the time. Keep in mind that's what we signed up for when we bought the cars. One other thing to consider - I initially fill the tires to 39 cold in the garage and set the TPMS to 39. You don't want to set the TPMS to, for example 37 after you adjust the pressures a little lower, because the tires will be too low before you get the TPMS warning. It could mean the difference between being able to stop in a safe place to pump it up or ruining a tire. Being set at 39 will also give you advanced warning if you get a sudden cold spell. Keep in mind that, at least in the US, there is no recommendation in the owner's manual to do this on an R with 19s, at least not on my 2016. So, do this experiment at your own risk. And try not to take corners fast until the tires warm up, which is good advice no matter the tire pressures or outside temperatures. You probably already know it could about a mile for the TPMS to detect a low tire, so check your tire pressures before you get on a highway if you don't have the time to spare to pump it on the way to your destination. I live about 1-2 miles from a main road depending which direction I'm going, so it's not usually an issue for me. A good tire gauge and portable air are a must when you have high-performance tires. One other thing I noticed when I went to replace my old PS4S's with new ones. Despite all my efforts, the tire treads were all worn more in the middles more than the outsides by about 1/32. That lead me to believe the VW-recommended tire pressures are only there for better MPG, but since tires are not my field of expertise, what do I know.

Last edited:

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
Also, if you guys still on the stock bridgestone S001 Tires, they are known to be pretty harsh. Especially if you don't have a car with DCC.