GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anything wrong with these cheap parts?

sdamike

I did search this before I posted it, so if this has been beaten to death previously, sorry for missing it and please just point me to the thread.

But if not, I am mainly mentioning this because of the turbo muffler delete and turbo intake pipes that are on ebay. Im not a fan of no name parts from china...but these seem impossible to screw up. They also look pretty damn close if not exact to some of the better name versions out there. And, most importantly they cost way less.
Specifically:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intake-Tur...298455?hash=item2ace272597:g:dFoAAOSwyvldAwYZ

Anyone using these (or similar no name ones) ?

blackecho101

I heard that some of these Chinese companies will directly knock off a major tuners parts, even ordering the original to china so they have a direct 1:1 replica. When i heard this it was actually in reference to the CTS TIP and how some replicas were exactly the same design minus the logo. This says nothing for the material they are made from and could be much weaker. The specific TIP and TMD you posted could be of any quality and I would recommend buying name brand for the smaller/cheaper parts like these. If you want to save some money with ebay parts, there is a lot of information of the forums about the rev9 downpipe or majesty intercooler. Those will save you more money and you wont be testing out parts the forum hasn't had experience with yet.
If you do decide to get the TIP/TMD combo off ebay please update us with your thoughts on fitment when they arrive!

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
So let’s see, you buy a 30k car and then put the cheapest parts you can on it? So, when you go to sell, will the new buyer want a car loaded with Chinese junk or a car built with IE, APR etc. parts? Hey the Chinese make tires too, why not buy them, they are black and round, just like a Michelin!

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
I ordered a turbo muffler delete just like the one pictured and it was a racing line branded one. Had the logo on it and everything. Does it do much of anything, no but sure beats paying way over $100 for the part.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Personally Mikey - I wouldn't cheap out on parts that involve BOOST related things. Fit and finish is important. Granted, I have no experience with anything you linked - but the quality name brand versions of those parts add so little power - I don't see how it's worth taking the chance on buying Mickey Mouse Chinese copies.

sdamike

So let’s see, you buy a 30k car and then put the cheapest parts you can on it? So, when you go to sell, will the new buyer want a car loaded with Chinese junk or a car built with IE, APR etc. parts? Hey the Chinese make tires too, why not buy them, they are black and round, just like a Michelin!

I understand the point your trying to make but really, this is all (modding a car, even buying a car) a terrible investment so the thought of buying any part with the hopes that it will sustain the most value in hopes of future resale value isnt a strong point.

If some of these cheap ebay parts are simple and basically replicas, I dont see the harm in them. These parts are not complicated. Given that, could china still screw them up, sure they could. But they are not clutches or turbos, they wont explode and create a catastrophic cascade of shit. The worst I could see is they wont fit, because sometimes china doesn't have the best record in that department.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Buy it and try it. Make a review.

Take one for the team!

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Turbo inlets are like $100 from reputable companies. $65 for something that may not fit exactly or won't be easily returnable... Eh.

$150 for a Chinese downpipe vs $699 downpipe.
Ok. But Also had fitment issues with cheap pipe. Machined it again myself.

$230 for intercooler vs $800 intercooler ok.
But it's known for having fitment issues and having to make brackets or permanent modifications.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk