GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using the Powerflex hybrid dogbone puck?

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
If you haven't already, shine a flashlight in the subframe opening where the Dogbone connects to the Powerflex Puck.
If you've got that much vibration, the Puck may have rotated somehow and is now pinching the dogbone against the subframe.
Mine is only slightly rumbly feeling, slight NVH, only noticeable because its slightly more than Zero.
Most of my poor idle went away when I gapped my plugs to 0.033".
A tune will probably get rid of it, as it's totally dependent on VW's stock programming.
I have not kicked the idle rpm up in VCDS.
I'll definitely take a look at the puck.

I actually thought about checking the plugs as you mentioned.

Could be the motor itself running a bit rough at idle which wasn't noticeable when I was on stock mounts not too long ago.

tmbzip

Ready to race!
My arm looks fine n pretty straight, no contact that I can tell at least. Recently gapped plugs to 0.24 with rs7 plugs, although I've never had a rough idle on this car.

I did look at my OBD11 to raise idle rpm, which for some reason the "Engine Idle RPM" option isn't there...so hoping it'll continue to break in over time

Last edited:

narsnail

Car(s)
2017 Golf R 6 Speed
Not having much luck with this hybrid puck.

I've got about 100 miles on them so far, but, it still vibrates pretty bad in N, D and even with A/C.

I'm getting significantly more vibrations than the BFI Stage 1 insert that I had.

Besides the hybrid puck, i've got the stock pendulum and BFI Stage 1 mounts with about 600 miles on them.

During the install, i had to lever the engine and trans backwards a little to get the dogbone puck bolt to line up and catch the thread.

I replaced the 2 front dogbone bolts and torqued everything to 37, 37, 90 ft-lbs, all with 1/4 turn.

I'm pretty sure there is some preload on the hybrid and upper puck. Is that normal?
The vibration I had right off the bat was more significant than just an aluminum lower insert, but after 100km it lowered quite a bit and I would say it's 90% gone now, after close to 1000km. I also had to re-align the engine a bit to get the bolt to catch, which I think is a good thing. Shows how much excessive play there was before.

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
The vibration I had right off the bat was more significant than just an aluminum lower insert, but after 100km it lowered quite a bit and I would say it's 90% gone now, after close to 1000km. I also had to re-align the engine a bit to get the bolt to catch, which I think is a good thing. Shows how much excessive play there was before.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m at 185 miles and unfortunately mine hasn’t calmed down yet.

Hopefully by 600 miles it’ll be mostly gone like your case.

Just re-gapped my NGK Ruths to 0.028, hasn’t really helped.

tmbzip

Ready to race!
Update on my end of the vibrations. I recently put in the EQT grounding kit, after a couple days I can say it did take down the harshness a knotch, at times I don't notice it now. Still there but not as numbing, AC is on.

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
The EQT Grounding kit seems interesting.
Its preventative and upgrade all in one.
Sounds great to me.
Did you completely replace the oem ground?

Last edited:

tmbzip

Ready to race!
Yes I installed the pro kit, preferred the cleaner look but either version will provide the same results.

It'll make your spark plug changes a lot easier too hah

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
Yes I installed the pro kit, preferred the cleaner look but either version will provide the same results.

It'll make your spark plug changes a lot easier too hah

Just ordered the pro kit for my 2019 rabbit. I was going to pop in the lightly used blue APR coilpacks this weekend, but I can wait for the EQT kit shipping.

Thanks, I haven't been keeping up, and am always looking for maintenance simplification and longevity fixes.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
(y)

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
I just installed the hybrid puck at 63000miles. It replaced 034 upper/lower inserts I’ve had in since 5000miles. Nothing visibly wrong with any of the parts I removed, but the improvement in shifts was big; crisper, smoother. More vibes at idle, no different with A/C on. Loving it so far. Next week BFI Stg-1 mounts will replace the 034 street density mounts.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
A friend (he’s here but won’t drop his name lol) just got one. Had the bfi insert previously

he loves it. After the install he only drove the car around the drive way to park it and instantly noticed differences vs the insert.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
A friend (he’s here but won’t drop his name lol) just got one. Had the bfi insert previously

he loves it. After the install he only drove the car around the drive way to park it and instantly noticed differences vs the insert.

Word. My Bfi was shot, had to use needle nose pliers to get the broken bits out of the puck. Logged around 100 miles today on the powerflex and i love it so far.
F70622E1-0BFC-4BF8-B7EA-F4FCB22B8DD0.jpeg
EC657B68-67B4-4B80-B115-FA2179241DB6.jpeg

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Word. My Bfi was shot, had to use needle nose pliers to get the broken bits out of the puck. Logged around 100 miles today on the powerflex and i love it so far. View attachment 250775View attachment 250776
I was actually referring to u lmao! Speak of the devil!

have u gotten a chance to push it a bit? Anything u can say about the new one vs the insert?

that tornado red with those wheels looks so naughty