GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using the Powerflex hybrid dogbone puck?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
https://powerflexusa.com/vwgolfmk7frontlowerenginemounthybridbushinglarge--1-2-1.aspx

Curious for any reviews of this. It looks interesting as it replaces the entire lower puck, and also is an insert for the upper puck. I've had nothing but bad luck with the longevity of other brands of aftermarket replacement dogbone pucks, and was wondering how well this holds up, and also how much the NVH increases with this. I'm trying to keep NVH to a minimum, as much as possible.

I was literally just about to order an OEM puck toss in an Integrated Engineering insert, then I stumbled across this. I will also most likely be adding 034 engine & tranny mounts in the not too distant future.

***EDIT 06/19/2019*** For anyone concerned about NVH with this puck, I suggest looking into the RocEuro pendulum arm. Info is sprinkled throughout this thread. For myself and several others, it returned NVH levels back to nearly stock levels, without a performance hit.

Last edited:

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Haven’t seen it around, however my Revo dog bone insert kit will be here today. Whole new puck, as well, but solid poly, nothing hollowed out. Great deal from one of our shops on here

rafal83

Hi, I installed 3 months ago for Cupra. I would reccomend this version, because of potential longer durability. I had previously simple CTS insert and after 1,5 years wheel hop came back while it made soften. I would say that NVH are lower than in my previous insert. With CTS NVH was a little noticable and it lessen after few months and then almost disappear. I did not notice any change in NVH after moving to hybrid powerflex. Make sure you will order correct version (there are 2 and only way is check from the bottom of the car). Another tip is with removal of OEM part of the insert - It's not that easy to remove it while it was pressed by factory. My collegue installed for MK7 GTI and he was very happy as well. I have Stage 2 and there is a small wheel hop in the rain, but when it dry it does not exist.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Hi, I installed 3 months ago for Cupra. I would reccomend this version, because of potential longer durability. I had previously simple CTS insert and after 1,5 years wheel hop came back while it made soften. I would say that NVH are lower than in my previous insert. With CTS NVH was a little noticable and it lessen after few months and then almost disappear. I did not notice any change in NVH after moving to hybrid powerflex. Make sure you will order correct version (there are 2 and only way is check from the bottom of the car). Another tip is with removal of OEM part of the insert - It's not that easy to remove it while it was pressed by factory. My collegue installed for MK7 GTI and he was very happy as well. I have Stage 2 and there is a small wheel hop in the rain, but when it dry it does not exist.

Thanks, appreciate your feedback. I think I'll go ahead and order it and see how it works.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Ordered. I'll follow up with initial impressions after it arrives and have had a couple days to drive around with it, hopefully by next weekend. Crossing my fingers that NVH isn't harsh, and that its durable!

Hotfart

Ready to race!
The mount showed up a day early. Hopefully I'll have some time to install it this weekend. Unfortunately it's been snowing, so I won't be able to get too crazy with trying it out to see how it performs. Also I'll soon order the 034 engine & trans mounts to go along with this.

My initial impressions are positive, as it looks like a well designed, quality piece. Hopefully the NVH is acceptable, and it's more durable than my past aftermarket mounts!

If this one doesn't work out, hopefully 034 hurries up and releases their solid rubber (*NOT* poly!) upper & lower pucks. I emailed them to see if they will have something similar to their MK6 offering (see https://store.034motorsport.com/dogbone-mount-pair-density-line-mk5-mk6-volkswagen-8j-8p-audi.html), and their response was that they will have something in the near future, but do not yet have an ETA. To me this looks like the best solution for durability and NVH, as the OEM-like collar should keep them from tearing, and being rubber the NVH should be less than compared to a similar durometer poly. The only downside is the subframe will need pulled to install the upper puck.

Anyways, will update after the Powerflex mount is installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20180222_193134.jpg
    IMG_20180222_193134.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,780
  • IMG_20180222_193208.jpg
    IMG_20180222_193208.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,610
  • IMG_20180222_193229.jpg
    IMG_20180222_193229.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2,612
  • IMG_20180222_193244.jpg
    IMG_20180222_193244.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 2,483
  • IMG_20180222_193331.jpg
    IMG_20180222_193331.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 2,627

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
So does this thing stick out of the bottom or does it sit flush like all other poly inserts? I have a spulen right now and I like it.

Hotfart

Ready to race!
So does this thing stick out of the bottom or does it sit flush like all other poly inserts? I have a spulen right now and I like it.

This is a full lower puck replacement, but at the same time also serves as an insert for the upper puck. Kind of a hybrid. That's why it's so tall. Looks like it will sit flush like other lower puck replacements and inserts.

Here's a pic taken from their website to illustrate how it works:

Attachments

• 5-830pic2.jpg
    5-830pic2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3,342

Hotfart

Ready to race!
The upper puck can be installed with removal of the sway bar. You will need to build a clamp to press in both sides together.

Fortunately, this puck doesn't require subframe or swaybar removal. Basically is the same procedure as installing any other lower puck.

EDIT: Oh...wait...just realized, were you referring to installing the (hopefully) upcoming 034 upper & lower pucks?

rafal83

be careful with removal - my mechanic by mistake removed upper and lower part of OEM and needed to re-install upper again. He just thought it replaced upper and lower OEM

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Install was a breeze, about a 20 minute ordeal. Granted the stock puck was already out (the Powerflex is replacing a Revo puck), so if you're stock I'd maybe double the time it took me. Pulled the old puck out by using a long thick screwdriver to pry it out, and surprisingly it didn't tear. Turns out the Revo puck was in a little better condition than I thought, but the metal center is still separating from the urethane which is not very reassuring.

Lubed up the Powerflex with the supplied PTFE grease, and it pushed in nearly fully with minimal effort (torquing the bolt down got it the rest of the way in). Getting the threads started takes a little bit of pushing the engine towards the back of the car, but it's not difficult and can be done by hand. I used a new dogbone bolt (OEM p/n N91201001, costs about $7), and if I remember correctly this is torque to yield, so a brand new bolt gets torqued to 100nm (74 ft-lbs) plus 1/4 turn. I didn't feel comfortable doing the full 1/4 turn as it got really tight, so I ended up going a little more than 1/8 turn. Note, if you're reusing the stock bolt, just torque to the 100nm spec (74 ft-lb) *without* the extra 1/4 turn. After driving it for a bit, I loosened the bolt then re-torqued to spec.

Bad news is that it's raining today, so I couldn't test it out fully to see how it performs. But the good (GREAT!) news is NVH is minimal. Note, the HPA kit and Revo pucks both had unbearable NVH when they were new and not yet broken in. They would shake the dash, pedals, steering wheel, seats...basically it would have ruined the car if they would have never broke in. However, both the HPA and Revo did settle down quite a bit after 100 miles or so. Even being brand new and not broken in yet, this Powerflex puck feels similar to the Revo puck after it was already broke in, so I'm very confident that NVH will settle down even more. Even as it stands right now, NVH is acceptable, and I'm confident that it will be very OEMplus-like after a couple hundred miles. This is coming from a guy who *HATES* NVH!

Shifts feel more positive than the other pucks I've tried, and the front end feels just a bit more planted. While it's hard to say how it's affected wheelhop since it's wet out today, I get the feeling the onset of wheelhop is delayed. Once it dries out, I will have a better idea. I do believe that since this puck also serves as an insert for the upper puck, it definitely has an advantage over other aftermarket pucks.

As for longevity, only time will tell. However, I'm confident that the design with the large washer and cup for holding the bolt will help it last longer. There is nothing to separate like on other pucks, and the washer should keep it from squishing out over time. But again, only time will tell.

Next up are 034 engine and trans mounts, which are already on the way. I'll get those installed once I have some time, hopefully in the next couple weeks.

Bottom line is I'm initially VERY impressed with the Powerflex mount, and would surely recommend it to anyone looking for an upgrade. Here are a couple pics of it installed, and for shits and giggles I also included a couple pics of the Revo before pulling it out (at 7 months old with 3300 miles).

Cost was $84 with shipping. Also of note, the one I bought is the street variety. If you don't care about NVH, there is also an option for a race variety.

For the earlier model dogbone type A (2015's & some 2016's): https://powerflexusa.com/vwgolfmk7frontlowerenginemounthybridbushinglarge-1-2-1.aspx
For the later model dogbone type B (most 2016's and newer): https://powerflexusa.com/vwgolfmk7frontlowerenginemounthybridbushinglarge--1-2-1.aspx

Attachments

• Powerflex 1.jpg
    Powerflex 1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 4,164
  • Powerflex 2.jpg
    Powerflex 2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 3,020
  • Revo 1.jpg
    Revo 1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 3,149
  • Revo 2.jpg
    Revo 2.jpg