GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone using the Powerflex hybrid dogbone puck?

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Also, what ft lb are people using 74 or 96?

Buried in post #15:

"I used a new dogbone bolt (OEM p/n N91201001, costs about $7), and if I remember correctly this is torque to yield, so a brand new bolt gets torqued to 100nm (74 ft-lbs) plus 1/4 turn. I didn't feel comfortable doing the full 1/4 turn as it got really tight, so I ended up going a little more than 1/8 turn. Note, if you're reusing the stock bolt, just torque to the 100nm spec (74 ft-lb) *without* the extra 1/4 turn. After driving it for a bit, I loosened the bolt then re-torqued to spec."

Couple thoughts for your situation: Might be a long shot, but you're sure you got the right version (Type A or Type B)? Also, if you're able to torque it to 75, is it able to be driven? If so, maybe drive it around a bit, then come back and loosen the bolt then re-torque it again.

If you're concerned about NVH, try out the RocEuro stabilizer arm. It's relatively cheap (~$85), and it all but eliminated NVH on mine (6MT, so I can't speak from firsthand experience for DSGs).

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
If it was the wrong version, the extended prongs would not go into the hole. It slips in fine. It aligns fine. It threads by hand fine. Then when I go to torque the washer creeps forward toward the lip of the subframe hole. I am gonna try to reinstall the whole thing tonight and see if that helps.

I will note, the nvh is awful at 1krpm, which tells me something isn't right

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I have flippn had it with this thing.

So now I've reinstalled twice. Everything is perfectly aligned. The puck is centered. It is vertically centered. With a light looking through the hole it is almost perfectly straight through. I tiny push gets it to thread in by hand. Everything is fine and centered until it gets tight then bam the washer starts walking to the edge. I've tried flipping , and pushing on the motor back and still it does this.

I'm almost entirely certain it is a defective mount. I don't think the washer is perfectly flat. It seems fine driving but has ridiculous vibrations at 1-1.3k rpm. Like shake my backpack bad. Before I contact power flex does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20181128_194206.jpg
    IMG_20181128_194206.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I have flippn had it with this thing.

So now I've reinstalled twice. Everything is perfectly aligned. The puck is centered. It is vertically centered. With a light looking through the hole it is almost perfectly straight through. I tiny push gets it to thread in by hand. Everything is fine and centered until it gets tight then bam the washer starts walking to the edge. I've tried flipping , and pushing on the motor back and still it does this.

I'm almost entirely certain it is a defective mount. I don't think the washer is perfectly flat. It seems fine driving but has ridiculous vibrations at 1-1.3k rpm. Like shake my backpack bad. Before I contact power flex does anyone have any ideas?

Grasping at straws here, but how does the center hole of the washer fit with the black insert? Maybe the hole on the washer is too big? IIRC, mine was tight. But you say it feels fine driving? Maybe the washer movement is a non-issue, as some low RPM NVH is to be expected, possibly more so with a DSG. I do recall NVH went down just a tad after breaking it in. I'd get under mine to compare how it looks to yours, but it's freezing out and snowed the other day. Regardless, it can't hurt to contact Powerflex to see what they say, perhaps maybe you did get a bad one.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Grasping at straws here, but how does the center hole of the washer fit with the black insert? Maybe the hole on the washer is too big? IIRC, mine was tight. But you say it feels fine driving? Maybe the washer movement is a non-issue, as some low RPM NVH is to be expected, possibly more so with a DSG. I do recall NVH went down just a tad after breaking it in. I'd get under mine to compare how it looks to yours, but it's freezing out and snowed the other day. Regardless, it can't hurt to contact Powerflex to see what they say, perhaps maybe you did get a bad one.

It had a little bit of play around the black piece. My main concern is the washer moving around under load and shearing the subframe or even ripping the insert.

The physics do not make any sense. Everything is aligned perfectly.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Also, try this. When you are getting ready to leave from a stop, slowly let pressure off the brake pedal. This tells the DSG you are going to start accelerating. If you just take your foot off the brake and immediately go to the gas it will chatter a bit.

I have MT. So yours is slightly skewed forward towards the motor too? Although it doesn't seem to be as bad as mine. My washer is really close to the subframes lip which has me worried. I

My last thought is too take everything out and reinstall the puck bolt FIRST, it should have no excuse not to go straight up into it unless upper puck is messed up.

So much for getting new sty bolts.. ugh.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Just in case anyone's wondering. I reinstalled again, this time I grinded down the washer to avoid it touching. It was the torque arm having to flex up causing the bushing to pull askew, pulling the washer forward. I still have bad nvh but am attributing to the other full mounts I have

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Power flex customer service is pretty amazing. This is how you gain life long customers. After just mentioning my issue not expecting anything as I already solved myself, they not only sent me a full replacement but also custom made a smaller washer for me to try.

Great company!

Joel

Ready to race!
Just ordered this to replace my HPA that is currently falling apart.

Joel

Ready to race!
FYI, this doesn't play well with the HPA arm.... tried modifying it to work, no bueno. Going to have order another one and put the stock arm back on.

Getting lots of knock anytime I push the gas hard.