GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Use Liqui Moly MoS2 Oil Additive?

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I'm at a little over 80k miles, and hearing some lifter noise, so thinking about throwing a can of MoS2 in with my upcoming oil change. Anyone use it? Is it safe to use in our engines? I'm thinking it can't hurt, but I'm no expert. I never even played one on TV once.

Also, Liqui Moly Cera Tec is twice as expensive, but is it worth it?

Ps. I'm begging you (yes, you) not to turn this into another "which oil" thread. And I don't care about $100 additives. Let's just talk about Liqui Moly MoS2, and/or Cera Tec (or things in that ballpark). TIA!

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm at a little over 80k miles, and hearing some lifter noise, so thinking about throwing a can of MoS2 in with my upcoming oil change. Anyone use it? Is it safe to use in our engines? I'm thinking it can't hurt, but I'm no expert. I never even played one on TV once.

Also, Liqui Moly Cera Tec is twice as expensive, but is it worth it?

Ps. I'm begging you (yes, you) not to turn this into another "which oil" thread. And I don't care about $100 additives. Let's just talk about Liqui Moly MoS2, and/or Cera Tec (or things in that ballpark). TIA!

What's lifter noise?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
There's lifter tick if you listen closely to some mk7 engines. Typically on cold starts, in my experience. i've used both mos2 and ceratec. I noticed immediate change in engine noise (reduced lifter noise) with the mos2. The ceratec was nice but not as noticeable immediately (no surprise tbh). I'll probably toss a thing of ceratec every few changes as recommended.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
There's lifter tick if you listen closely to some mk7 engines. Typically on cold starts, in my experience. i've used both mos2 and ceratec. I noticed immediate change in engine noise (reduced lifter noise) with the mos2. The ceratec was nice but not as noticeable immediately (no surprise tbh). I'll probably toss a thing of ceratec every few changes as recommended.

Got it. Are these additives to be dumped only immediately before oil changes?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Mos2 is molybdenum disulfide and is a well known friction modifier. It's added to the oil after an oil change typically (with fresh oil). Ceratec is similar, but uses another blend of ceramic additives to reduce wear/friction

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The products being talked about will have to be continually added to help quiet your engine. There's a one time treatment that will permanently quiet your engine. Forum members Twist1 and cptnjosh have used it and can attest to it. I used it and 3 guys that I know with Veloster Turbos have used it and swear by it.

https://cermatreatment.com/products/engine-treatment-for-gas-and-diesel-autos?variant=14123871666211
It's expensive but it is a one time treatment. If you order it use the promo code "xeperformance" for a 20% discount. In the long run its less expensive than continually adding additives with every oil change. Below is a thread with some results near the end of the thread.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/tapping.371543/page-4

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
OK, just took a leap of faith and ordered the Cerma product. The discount code didn't work but whatever, its on it way. Got 53K on the odometer and seems like a better deal than putting additives in every oil change.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
OK, just took a leap of faith and ordered the Cerma product. The discount code didn't work but whatever, its on it way. Got 53K on the odometer and seems like a better deal than putting additives in every oil change.

Did you use promo code xeperformance? Works for me every time.