GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running Emmanuelle Design springs ?

Dysfunktional

I just picked up a 2019 7.5 R and my FTG on a 19" wheel is:
26.5 frt and rear

My previous Mk7 GTI was on VWR and 19" wheels
FTG was 25.25"

Every car I've ever owned has been lowered one way or another, but man the ride of the stock Golf R wtih DCC is so nice. I'd probably be happy if it were 15mm lower, but I''m worried about dropping it 30mm, if that is what the ED springs are going to do.

H&R has a VHT (adjustable kit) but expensive at roughly $700, and I believe the Eibachs are less of a drop (but progressive rate) and prefer a linear spring.

Thomas (ED) has a special going on for springs and install right now, so really considering going this route.

The eibach springs for the R are not progressive - I've had the ED's in the past but they were too low for my complex so I went to the eibach. less than 3/4 drop and ride fantastic.

mlvswoll

Passed Driver's Ed
I just put a set of ED springs on my 2016 PP GTI w/ DCC. Two quick questions? I made no mods to oem bumpstops, did you? Also on driver side I dropped inner axle for clearance at time of install. Can anyone confirm if the 6 inner axle bolts are TTY? ECS says no. Just trying to confirm as I swapped all TTY hardware during the install. Thanks guys.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I just put a set of ED springs on my 2016 PP GTI w/ DCC. Two quick questions? I made no mods to oem bumpstops, did you? Also on driver side I dropped inner axle for clearance at time of install. Can anyone confirm if the 6 inner axle bolts are TTY? ECS says no. Just trying to confirm as I swapped all TTY hardware during the install. Thanks guys.

I did not but I have a Golf R. I'm not sure how the bump stops might differ. ED did do an installation video on a Gti so maybe skim through that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGISWrhnEEo

Navi

Autocross Champion
Pretty sure those axle bolts are one time use. Actually, I there was a post a while back where the bolts came loose and someones transmission casing got fucked up and had to be replaced. I don't remember the details.

Martin398

Ready to race!
inner axle bolts are torqued to 70nm, not TTY. there's no additional turn after reaching torque spec.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
After about 25k miles on ED Springs (16 Base Golf R w/out DCC) and stock dampers I'm thinking I need to either upgrade my shock/struts or get coils as the ride is feeling a bit bouncy. Not sure if it's the OEM's on the way out or just me wanting a better experience.

Anyone on ED Springs without DCC upgrade their shock/struts? I know some have tried the Bilstein B8's but it seems from the feedback that the ED Springs 'OEM' match is not ideal leaving this combo to be too bouncy. How about using the B6's since they are made for OEM springs? I think the Koni Adjustables but the rear adjustment has me turned off a bit. I'd rather get coils like the Bilstein B16's or the EQT one's where you can easily adjust the dampers.

Most likely I will go with either B16's or the EQT's.

What are people doing here on ED's?

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Installed my emd springs along with 20mm rear spacers and 15mm in the front pretty happy with the ride quality with the factory shocks.
Wish I had 25mm rear spacers instead of the 20mms

DBB11BB6-62DA-48EF-9FFB-C49C11A944C3.jpeg

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Hey all,

Figured I'd bump this back up since it hasn't seen any love in a while. My springs have been installed for about 40k miles now and pot hole hits are starting to feel a bit more jarring than they used to. I'm chalking this up to my stock shocks and struts being about done (and the Atlanta-area roads deteriorating at a rapid rate = high speed pot hole hits are no bueno). Rather than throw another set of stockers in and get another 40k out of them, I'd like to replace them with something a bit better. I see Bilstein B8 brought up a lot, but also saw in another thread by @Hammersticks that Koni Yellow are recommended for a softer spring like these, but may result in a dramatically more aggressive ride. Any input?

P.s. I know this is beat to death, but my car has been so solid lately that I haven't needed to post a lot, just lurk. I miss interacting with you all :ROFLMAO:

Thanks,
Adam

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Hey all,

Figured I'd bump this back up since it hasn't seen any love in a while. My springs have been installed for about 40k miles now and pot hole hits are starting to feel a bit more jarring than they used to. I'm chalking this up to my stock shocks and struts being about done (and the Atlanta-area roads deteriorating at a rapid rate = high speed pot hole hits are no bueno). Rather than throw another set of stockers in and get another 40k out of them, I'd like to replace them with something a bit better. I see Bilstein B8 brought up a lot, but also saw in another thread by @Hammersticks that Koni Yellow are recommended for a softer spring like these, but may result in a dramatically more aggressive ride. Any input?

P.s. I know this is beat to death, but my car has been so solid lately that I haven't needed to post a lot, just lurk. I miss interacting with you all :ROFLMAO:

Thanks,
Adam

I’m in your shoes and have about 35k on my ED Springs with stock shocks/struts. All of what I’ve read is the same in that the B6/B8 are too soft and the Koni Yellows are the way to go. That or the B4’s which are the stock replacements I believe.

I’m still on the fence and part of me want’s to just do the B16 Coils.

Good luck and I’ll be interested to see what you do.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I’m in your shoes and have about 35k on my ED Springs with stock shocks/struts. All of what I’ve read is the same in that the B6/B8 are too soft and the Koni Yellows are the way to go. That or the B4’s which are the stock replacements I believe.

I’m still on the fence and part of me want’s to just do the B16 Coils.

Good luck and I’ll be interested to see what you do.

Thanks. I probably won't actually do anything for another month or so, but I'll try to remember to come in and update here. I'm contemplating throwing a rear sway bar on as well since I'll have the back apart anyway.

parallax

Ready to race!

Hey all,

Thanks,
Adam

I ran into similar issues with harshness after about 35k miles with them on the stock struts. I ended up picking up a set of Koni Yellows, and 10k miles later I'm still very pleased with this set up. FWIW, I have mine set to 1/2 from full soft in the rears and a 1/4 turn from full soft in the front.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I ran into similar issues with harshness after about 35k miles with them on the stock struts. I ended up picking up a set of Koni Yellows, and 10k miles later I'm still very pleased with this set up. FWIW, I have mine set to 1/2 from full soft in the rears and a 1/4 turn from full soft in the front.

Perfect, thanks for the info!