GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running Bilstein B6 shocks with OEM springs?

BATTON

I have stock suspension on my MK7 GTI and I'm wanting to go this route but I cannot find reviews anywhere.

I really dont want to lower the car due to all the farm and country roads I'm on. But I do want a sportier driving experience with good daily comfort and this seems to be one of the few stock height options.

If anyone is running this:
1: general impressions
2: comfort - is it lost or gained and how so
3: any issues
4: is it worth it to have a stock suspension with just stiffer shocks / any regrets or letdown experiences
5: parts needed to replace or tips for proper install

Hope there are some members out there who have done this but Golfs seem to all be lowered

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
I'm curious about this myself. I'm not real keen on lowering my GTI with the crappy roads around Chicago, and I occasionally drive out to my cousin's farm. Granted, I'm currently on winter tires, and haven't driven the car with decent tires (compared to the stock all-seasons), but the stock damping seems to be... good enough (I had Koni Yellows on my old Mazdaspeed3, which had mediocre stock shocks/struts).

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
This is my plan, only I'm going to run Eibach springs (minimal lowering) with Bilstein B6 DCC shocks. I'm also going to add CSS knuckles (already bought) and a RSB (just haven't decided on the brand yet). I live on the Lake Michigan shoreline so lots of snow and lots of pot holes. Anyway, it's another option to look at while still meeting your needs.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'm on my second Z4M coupe. On my first one, I replaced the worn stock shocks at ~45k miles with B6's but left the rest of the suspension alone. It was the perfect solution - I too did not want to lower the car at all. They're just a superior shock to the crummy parts bin stock parts by a LONG stretch. They are warranted to the original purchaser for life and will easily go 100k+ miles without wearing out. If one develops a leak, Bilstein will rebuild or replace it/them. Or if you manage to wear them out, same story. Ride quality is as good or better than stock (on that car, I'd suspect similar results on a GTI). They are firm yet not harsh, if that makes any sense.

I plan on doing the same thing on the current Z4M at 50k miles, along with a refresh of the FCAB's and RTAB's.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
The Mk6 in my avatar was on B6 and stock springs, however i also had stiffer LCA bushings and bigger sways (26/24) so can't really comment on stock feel. Seemed pretty bulletproof and it's nice not having to drive carefully as with a lowered car (y)

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an Alltrack; replaced the suspension with GTI takeoffs, then replaced the rear shocks with B6, then later replaced the rear springs with R springs. I have also used Bilstein HD on many prior cars. Bilsteins are so good - and such a bargain relative to Ohlins etc - that I won't buy a car if Bilstein doesn't make anything for it. I have a low opinion of Koni, KW, Tein and most twin-tubes I've used in the past, mostly due to poor longevity. Oh also - wifey has a bone stock GTI.

An MK7 GTI with stock springs and B6 is a VAST improvement on an already competent factory setup. The ride will be firmer, which is not exactly ideal on a rough roads, but in all other driving situations it will put a smile on your face. The car will feel extra-German! Bilstein monotubes are pressurized with about 350psi of nitrogen and this will add a bit to your springs (contrary to what some of the dumdums on Vortex believe). My educated-guess is about 15lbs, which would make them feel nearly identical to R springs. Honestly if you are driving a lot of dirt or gravel you might want to stick with the OEM Sachs, but if you want it to feel like a sportscar go for the B6. Nothing wrong with OEM GTI springs. Once you do this I doubt you will ever buy Koni again.

You should probably do new strut bearings and tops, and don't install via the 2X4 method, because you might kill yourself. The B6 will last the life of the car.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
^^ agree with all of this..

Especially the notion that they will last the life of the car, and the stock parts-bin garbage that comes on the car are good for MAYBE 40k miles before they're significantly worn. And that's on stock springs - cut than in half, or maybe by 2/3rds if the car has been lowered.

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
I know I’m reviving a somewhat older thread, but wanted to weigh in since I’ve been running B6 Damptronic Shocks/Struts with the OEM springs on my 2019 Golf R for a few weeks now. I couldn’t find much feedback on this set-up when I was doing research, so throwing in my .02

My initial impressions are extremely positive. Build quality and fitment are great and there were no issues with install. Per one of the earlier posts, I wouldn’t be surprised if the the set-up increased the suspension compression rate a bit through greater pressure in the tubes. Rebound is noticeably improved - Normal now feels a bit stiffer/sportier than Race (Sport) used to; Comfort is a bit stiffer than the old Normal setting; Race (Sport) is beyond what I consider tolerable for daily driving, but now finally feels ‘sporty’.

The real question about this set-up for most people is the price vs. performance. For around $1400 + install, you’re in the same price range as the B16 PSS10 coilovers and many other similar options. What made the decision for me was a desire to maintain the DCC functionality and achieve an OEM+ ride quality (with Bilstein’s limited lifetime warranty on the parts as a bonus).

57D25A72-95B5-4C53-9CDF-907996A57DC6.jpeg

Kokekan

Car(s)
VW Golf R 7.5
I know I’m reviving a somewhat older thread, but wanted to weigh in since I’ve been running B6 Damptronic Shocks/Struts with the OEM springs on my 2019 Golf R for a few weeks now. I couldn’t find much feedback on this set-up when I was doing research, so throwing in my .02

My initial impressions are extremely positive. Build quality and fitment are great and there were no issues with install. Per one of the earlier posts, I wouldn’t be surprised if the the set-up increased the suspension compression rate a bit through greater pressure in the tubes. Rebound is noticeably improved - Normal now feels a bit stiffer/sportier than Race (Sport) used to; Comfort is a bit stiffer than the old Normal setting; Race (Sport) is beyond what I consider tolerable for daily driving, but now finally feels ‘sporty’.

The real question about this set-up for most people is the price vs. performance. For around $1400 + install, you’re in the same price range as the B16 PSS10 coilovers and many other similar options. What made the decision for me was a desire to maintain the DCC functionality and achieve an OEM+ ride quality (with Bilstein’s limited lifetime warranty on the parts as a bonus).

View attachment 169814
Hi, thanks for this writeup! Have the B6 shocks improved steering feel, as this is really what I would love to improve. I hear the B16 transforms steering feel when coupled with an LCA.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I ran the B6 shocks with OEM springs when I ran street class for autox. Compared to OEM, the car felt much more composed over bumps. Ride was firmer than OEM but again it was more composed as well. The inverted design of the strut made the front end feel stiffer, and the steering feel was slightly heavier overall.

Overall a great upgrade. This was for the non-DCC struts.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Interested in upgrading to the B6 shocks at some point over the next year.

Qustion for you guys who have them with stock springs....from some of the comments it's not clear if the ride height turns out to be same as stock or a little higher? While I'm past the days where I'd seek to lower a car, I don't really want to raise the ride height either...

Kokekan

Car(s)
VW Golf R 7.5
I ran the B6 shocks with OEM springs when I ran street class for autox. Compared to OEM, the car felt much more composed over bumps. Ride was firmer than OEM but again it was more composed as well. The inverted design of the strut made the front end feel stiffer, and the steering feel was slightly heavier overall.

Overall a great upgrade. This was for the non-DCC struts.
I was also wondering if having the B6 shocks coupled with the SuperPro LCA and Camber Mounts will help with getting steering feel into the car, rather than the dead fish that it is right now, or is this a waste?