GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running 245/35/19 on STOCK SUSPENSION?

22dias

Having the same dilemma.. looking at 19x8.5 +45 Pretoria replicas, can't decide between 245/35 or 235/35 - Michelin PS4S

Car is stock and likely to be stock for the medium term as the wifey will be driving it 9/10.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Having the same dilemma.. looking at 19x8.5 +45 Pretoria replicas, can't decide between 245/35 or 235/35 - Michelin PS4S

Car is stock and likely to be stock for the medium term as the wifey will be driving it 9/10.

Going from 235/35 to 245/35 is just over a 1/4" difference in height, total. You won't notice a single bit of difference between the two on stock suspension.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Going from 235/35 to 245/35 is just over a 1/4" difference in height, total. You won't notice a single bit of difference between the two on stock suspension.

Yeah, I actually did this before I was lowered. The 245 actually fills things out a bit better if you ask me. Just need to take into consideration the fact that you WILL rub if you decide to lower the car, even on springs.

If you look at an unmounted 235/35 and a 245/35 next to each other, the difference is bigger than you would think. The 245 looks like a much bigger tire.

Last edited:

22dias

Thanks guys. It's VERY unlikely i'll lower it. Next funding cycle (as the wife coins it), will be put towards a stage 1 + ECU tune and that'll be that.

Yeah, I actually did this before I was lowered. The 245 actually fills things out a bit better if you ask me. Just need to take into consideration the fact that you WILL rub if you decide to lower the car, even on springs.

If you look at an unmounted 235/35 and a 245/35 next to each other, the difference is bigger than you would think. The 245 looks like a much bigger tire.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
What wheels are these? do you have anymore pictures

I've been through a few different setups since this picture. I still have the same wheels, though. I've also been involved in many suspension threads here.

Neuspeed RSe 102s - Matte Bronze - 19x8.5 +45

This picture was when I was on Neuspeed springs. They were decent, kinda stiff. Too low for stock dampers, travel was very limited. Bump stops were easy to hit.

Eibach Pro Kit - Best springs for stock dampers IMO. Not as low as H&R, Neuspeed, ED, or others. Ride was better than the Neuspeeds.
1665588743867.jpeg

KW V1 Coilovers - I was rubbing on this setup, specifically in the front. Too much compression travel, too soft.
1665589008496.jpeg

Bilstein B16 Damptronics - Current Setup. My favorite so far. Retains DCC and feels great. Tighter, more responsive. I don't have the ride height set so low.
1665589576066.jpeg

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've been through a few different setups since this picture. I still have the same wheels, though. I've also been involved in many suspension threads here.

Neuspeed RSe 102s - Matte Bronze - 19x8.5 +45

This picture was when I was on Neuspeed springs. They were decent, kinda stiff. Too low for stock dampers, travel was very limited. Bump stops were easy to hit.

Eibach Pro Kit - Best springs for stock dampers IMO. Not as low as H&R, Neuspeed, ED, or others. Ride was better than the Neuspeeds.
View attachment 262791

KW V1 Coilovers - I was rubbing on this setup, specifically in the front. Too much compression travel, too soft.
View attachment 262792

Bilstein B16 Damptronics - Current Setup. My favorite so far. Retains DCC and feel great. Tighter, more responsive. I don't have the ride height set so low.
View attachment 262793
These cars do not like when you take away suspension travel. They handle and ride terribly when you lower them and don't shorten the bump stops.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
These cars do not like when you take away suspension travel. They handle and ride terribly when you lower them and don't shorten the bump stops.

Bilstein recommends not trimming the bumps. I can confirm that at my current ride height, which is within the useable range that Bilstein specifies, I'm not hitting the bump stops. Very smooth riding. Occasionally you will hit the stops over larger bumps, even on stock suspension. Damn construction zones.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Bilstein recommends not trimming the bumps. I can confirm that at my current ride height, which is within the useable range that Bilstein specifies, I'm not hitting the bump stops. Very smooth riding. Occasionally you will hit the stops over larger bumps, even on stock suspension. Damn construction zones.
Yeah, some have internal stops, but I cut mine with koni sports.

AIlyen

Car(s)
Golf R 7.5 Akrapoviç
So, I read the whole topic, and for summary: if I will run 245/35 R19 winter tires on stock Spielbergs 8jx19 et50 without spacers, it won't rub? I am especially worried about inner side on the rear.
PS: Stock DCC suspension Golf R

Last edited:

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
So, I read the whole topic, and for summary: if I will run 245/35 R19 winter tires on stock Spielbergs 8jx19 et50 without spacers, it won't rub? I am especially worried about inner side on the rear.
PS: Stock DCC suspension Golf R

If you don't plan on lowering the car, you will be fine with a 245 tire. I actually ran a 245/35 when I was at stock height and never had an issue.

Daniel López

Car(s)
2016 GTI MK7
Does Conti Extreme Contact Sport 02 245/35/19 will rub in the GTI lowred with Eibach Pro Kit EU version? Already did the front fender screw mod just to be safe. I was using 235/35/19 ContiSport5P in some Pretoria Reps 19x8.5" but they got damaged and also looked too stretched. Please I need help!

Attachments

• 29e3053b-6a5b-40d8-8117-6b0ef6bafd66.jpg
    29e3053b-6a5b-40d8-8117-6b0ef6bafd66.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 126
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-11-21 at 12.17.41 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-21 at 12.17.41 PM.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 124

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Does Conti Extreme Contact Sport 02 245/35/19 will rub in the GTI lowred with Eibach Pro Kit EU version? Already did the front fender screw mod just to be safe. I was using 235/35/19 ContiSport5P in some Pretoria Reps 19x8.5" but they got damaged and also looked too stretched. Please I need help!

You should be fine. You may rub on occasion over very large bumps, but that will be rare. Your suspension and tire size are spot on.