GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone here have MTM tune?

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Not much info on MTM on the MK7 platform online. I was wondering if anyone runs this tune. This is the only stage 1 tune that offers a pops/bangs tune. Otherwise, my other option is Unitronic Stage 2. What’s nice is Unitronic is definitely cheaper. While MTM with the exhaust tune its about 1000$ (Stage 1+)

I wanna hear what y’all think on MTM and if anyone has it

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not much info on MTM on the MK7 platform online. I was wondering if anyone runs this tune. This is the only stage 1 tune that offers a pops/bangs tune. Otherwise, my other option is Unitronic Stage 2. What’s nice is Unitronic is definitely cheaper. While MTM with the exhaust tune its about 1000$ (Stage 1+)

I would go with a known tuner than worry about pops and bangs. I love pulling up to a stoplight against a guy who has pops and bangs and blowing them away. If you have a catalytic convertor pops and bangs will eventually destroy it.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Every tuner offers pops and bangs or gurgles with stage ones... don’t see a point in getting a random one. Also not to beat a dead horse.

but don’t see why anyone would not go with an AP with any of the various tuners OTS maps in this day and age. stage 1 will be temporary, then you get smoked by a piggy charger and want to go stage 2, then after stage 2 you will realize an is20 is slow and narrow with delivery and you’ll go with a bigger turbo, lol.

May as well have the AP so tuning UP is not a big deal.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I agree that a stage 1 with pops and bangs would be fun to roast quietly on a stage 2 car. I lose most street races no matter what though. Not great at speed shifting and I don’t have a radar detector so I always pull back before it gets felonious. You’ll want room to grow, Uni is a trusted company and many pro-tuner shops use them.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
If I go Unitronic stage 2 I still want my catalytic converter. I want the pops/bangs. Someone on here has the pops/bangs with the cat still going no issues.

Only thing is I wanna make sure everything is running perfect for that power since its stage 2.

Ima need a clutch upgrade (my eyes set on Rsr) and the CTS intercooler (i live down south dont want heat soak)

I’ve been reading about crankwalk and ppl having engine failure on tunes for the manual transmission. Shifted me away from the DKM clutch and doing any tunes with a tuner like that. I just want something OTS that’s literally set up already on the car where I dont need to do logs and shit. I dont got time for that. I want to make sure I get everything right when I tune this car.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Crankwalk has happened on stock clutches and engine failures have happened on stock ECUs as well. The percentages are probably pretty small but minority cases are louder than the overwhelming majority with no issues. Just use a trusted tune that’s made for your car, not a one size fit all solution.

If my local shop used Eurodyne I’d have had them install and it and check everything out but they don’t (they use Uni). When I get maestro I’m going to have them check it out regardless. Tunes are generally safe but just use common sense and do a health check once in a while at a minimum.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Crankwalk has happened on stock clutches and engine failures have happened on stock ECUs as well. The percentages are probably pretty small but minority cases are louder than the overwhelming majority with no issues. Just use a trusted tune that’s made for your car, not a one size fit all solution.

If my local shop used Eurodyne I’d have had them install and it and check everything out but they don’t (they use Uni). When I get maestro I’m going to have them check it out regardless. Tunes are generally safe but just use common sense and do a health check once in a while at a minimum.
Local VW shop down the street from my job. 15minutes from my house. Their an authorized Unitronic I might as well go that route

If I were to go an OTS tune I wouldnt get an AP even though its cool to see your codes and change maps. I rather get OB11 to see the codes and let the OTS tune do the rest

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Local VW shop down the street from my job. 15minutes from my house. Their an authorized Unitronic I might as well go that route

If I were to go an OTS tune I wouldnt get an AP even though its cool to see your codes and change maps. I rather get OB11 to see the codes and let the OTS tune do the rest

You're missing the point for an AP. It's not just to change maps, it's to monitor what's going on with your car while driving and to take datalogs. Pretty much everybody that has an AP also has either OBDeleven or VCDS.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

I don't recall reading about anybody using MTM. Perhaps in Europe? I don't know what changed that led to them not being as big a player as they used to be.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You've been kind of bouncing around with questions and concerns about tuning in a few threads. A couple things for your consideration.
  1. You gotta be ready to pay if you are going to tune. Sure the chance is unlikely but if you're going to hunt around for the safest thing and perseverate over the risks just skip it. Go grab a JB1/4 and call it a day.
  2. The absolute safest tune above a JB unit is not going to be any off the shelf option, it's going to be a conservative custom tune. It'll cost you some more money but you can get something that is truly not risky that you can be comfortable with.

Edit: just did a little background and saw that you already have a downpipe and a bunch of other mods. You're too far down the rabbit hole to be worrying about what is a "safe tune" either put yourself in a position to be able to afford to replace your engine or go revert some mods and stick to stage 1. Point still stands from above the absolute safest tune is a custom tune.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
More advice, you should get an intercooler - you live a very hot and humid climate and if there's one thing that will beat on an engine more than anything it's heat.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Living in FL best mod I’ve done was a FMIC

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Don't go Unitronic if you're a diy person. Trust me. I did, and I don't know why honestly. It was two years ago and I was new to the vw scene so maybe I hadn't researched enough to know about access port and good ots tunes like EQT? I spent the dough on stage 1 and then it was only another 150 to go stage 2 so I did that too.

I've since switched to access port for stage 2 with eqt e30 which is much better, plus now I can do logs. My only hope to recoup any of the money spent on Unitronic is to sell the cable and my account along with the car itself one day and even then, I doubt it will help add any value.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Not too many people run MTM on this forum, I know they are popular in Europe though. I see you are from South FL, there is a guy on the MK7 facebook page in S. FL who is big into MTM. Don't remember his name but I"m sure you could find him if you ask around on FB.

There are definitely other tunes that offer pops and bangs on stage 1 though, not sure where you got that info. Unitronic calls it "overrun", sounded good when I used it. I've since switched to EQT and would recommend them all day, as would most on this forum....

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not too many people run MTM on this forum, I know they are popular in Europe though. I see you are from South FL, there is a guy on the MK7 facebook page in S. FL who is big into MTM. Don't remember his name but I"m sure you could find him if you ask around on FB.

There are definitely other tunes that offer pops and bangs on stage 1 though, not sure where you got that info. Unitronic calls it "overrun", sounded good when I used it. I've since switched to EQT and would recommend them all day, as would most on this forum....

I believe EQT calls their pops and bangs "burbles".