GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have experience with updated Ohlins road and track kit?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I got mine for about $200 off during the winter holiday sales a few months back. That was the cheapest I had seem them. Down time will be a drag, but definitely worth it considering their performance and it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new set of PSS10 shocks or similar setup when performance starts to drop.

According to Barry from 3DM, I guess the MT21 and MT22 is being discontinued and replaced by a version with shortened shocks and struts to allow for more lowering. I guess the Audi MQB owners shopping the same kit didn't like the lack of lowering since those cars start lower than ours from the get go. I think I got one of the last kits that allowed the car to stay closer to oem ride height.

Dang, I actually want to stay closer to OEM height. Hopefully they're adjustable enough I can get back up to less than an inch of drop. Or they find some sets kicking around and put them on clearance.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Dang, I actually want to stay closer to OEM height. Hopefully they're adjustable enough I can get back up to less than an inch of drop. Or they find some sets kicking around and put them on clearance.
The current Ohlins version does not lower much, but the rear shocks have a shorter stroke than OEM and the Koni FSD shocks.

So if you run them low, you need to dramatically increase the spring rate so you don't bottom out the shock.

IMG_4109.JPEG

IMG_4107.JPEG

IMG_4108.JPEG

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
What you need to know about this purchase is that the springs that come with either kit, are irrelevant. You are buying a shock, not springs. Springs are replaceable.

For comfort you will want to run the kit front springs, if you want, but then, I suggest using a much higher rear rate. With equal rates, or close to equal rates front to rear, the car will not have enough rear spring to catch up to the font over bumps. IMO, this is the biggest contributing factor to ride comfort, the forward and aft pitching and bouncing.

With a larger rear spring, I suggest a starting rate of 575 in/lb or higher, depending on the front rate (400 in/lb for the MT22). Then you turn up the rear rebound to slow down the rear motion over bumps to your liking.

I raced 425/750 last autocross season. The rid is very flat, and comfort depends mostly on tire sidewall.

Right now for the winter I run the OEM front springs and Koni FSD front shock. The rear has the Ohlin stock 400 in/lb and Ohlin shock. Wheels are 225/40/17.

The ride is very comfortable over bumps.

On the track with the 425 springs I run the front shock at full soft, the rear with 750 springs I run maybe 50-70% stiffer than soft, depending on the surface.

I think this means you can run a much higher front spring, and maybe another 50-100 lb/in spring in the rear over what springs I'm running, without a re-valve.

Whatever you do, a softer rear spring rate will be a worse ride quality.
An update on this.

After trying a few differnt spring legths and rates I've discovered that the sweet spot is 7 inch length in the front. 8 is too tall and you can't lower the car much, 6 is too short and the car will be slammed with the height adjuster maxed.

I'm trying to run more spring rate vs last year, but running into issues with valving.

I sent my rear shocks off to be revalved and I used the wrong company, RE suspensions, and they didn't exactly know what I needed and was not familiar with this shock.

So now I'm running 550/750. The fronts are appropriately damped with the adjuster 10 clicks from closed (full stiff), but the rears, even at full stiff, need more low speed rebound in order to control big bumps and dips.

In a few weeks I'll probably send off the rear again, this time to PSI in cali for a proper revalve for more low speed rebound. The are also working a custom shock design for the mk7 gti, so that may be next year's answer.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
3DM Motorsports is also a great option. Barry Battle knows Onlins and was recommended to me by Ohlins themselves. He helped Ohlins develop the F80 M3 track package.

I had my Ohlins revalved by 3DM without any issues. If you buy your Ohlins from 3DM, they offer one free revalve.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I would second recommending 3DM. I ended up going through them as they offered custom rate swift springs for no extra cost. Barry certainly sounded like he knew his stuff and was very nice/helpful. I kept with the stock valving as I ended up with 7k front and 10k rear springs. Also went with 8" springs. Ride height is a tiny bit lower than it was stock, but nearly the same. I would believe 7" would be better if going stiffer.

I also recall someone recently asking about using the ohlins with oem top mounts. I'm currently using the eurosport acc camber puck inserts with the oem mounts and haven't had any issues so far. Pretty low nvh, only thing I've experienced is a slight grown going into a steep drive way. We'll see how long the top mounts hold up with the added camber of the pucks and css spindles. I could see them wearing out faster with the different angle/force being applied as they are fairly soft. Time will tell.

tolas

For reference I currently have CSS swivel, 018k SuperPro LCA and Vorshlag camber plates. I really like my Ohlins. Great dual duty coilover.

@Mini7 , did you need the CSS swivels? Shouldn't you be able to dial in all the camber you want just with the Vorshlag camber plates?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
@Mini7 , did you need the CSS swivels? Shouldn't you be able to dial in all the camber you want just with the Vorshlag camber plates?
I got -2.5 degrees camber at stock ride height with the Vorshlag plates. My current combo of Vorshlag plates and CSS swivels got me to -3.4 degrees. I’m running NT01’s on track and the car needs about -3.4 at VIR on R-comps. Once I get my Verkline front LCA installed, I will be setting camber at -3.8.

It all depends on what you are planning for our camber challenged GTi. If you drop ride height you will gain some camber. I would recommend more than a 3/4” drop. CSS swivels will gain you a full degree of camber but prices have jumped. Verkline LCA’s are good for 3-degrees maybe a little more.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Down to 400/650, so smooth now.
Right around my spring rates. 450/672

I find that it is better to add rebound to the shocks then drive on full soft on the street.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I'm considering upping the rear spring rates in my car. Still a bit pushy with the 400/575 setup I have now.

Regarding front camber, I was trying out the Eurosport offset inserts with the OEM mounts along with CSS knuckles. I thought it would be a good solution for a street driven car without any added NVH. Got about -2.6 degrees of camber which I was very pleased with. Unfortunately as I was worried about, the offset angle did result in an issue. It seems that the Ohlins supplied upper spring bearing has separated on the outer side leading to some bad spring bind. After a track day, the passenger side adjuster came loose and I've been getting a constant popping noise up front.

Now to decide if I should get go all in on some Vorshlag plates or give up on tracking what was supposed to be my practical commuter car... @Mini7 , with the Vorshlag plates the upper spring bearing is included correct? I couldn't find a replacement for the Ohlins bearing online (PN 25602-02). I'll contact 3DM depending on what I decide to do.

20210424_164437.jpg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The Vorshlag plates come with the upper spring perch. 3DM is a Vorshlag dealer. You can also add an extra degree of caster with the Vorshlag plates which I like.
Vorshlag and Ground Control are the only two adjustable options. I cannot remember if VWR sells camber plates separate from their coilover kit. I suspect those are rebadged AST camber plates because their coilover kit looks very similar to the AST5100’s I have on my Mini.

What ride are you running FTG front and rear? And what tire sizes?

if you decide to up the rear spring rate, go to a 7” spring with a helper. I’m waiting on a 7” Swift spring/ helper combo for the rear. COVID supply chain issues.
My rear ride height jumped 1” when I upped the spring rate from 450 to 672lbs.

king526

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi S3
Not sure if its alright to post in here, but I have a set of 80 and 90 N/mm springs for sale since I also upped the spring rates on my Ohlins. They are the factory Ohlins brand springs and I might also have a set of helper springs for sale.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What is the spring length?

Im assuming 7” if you have helper springs?