GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have experience with updated Ohlins road and track kit?

IGM2019

Passed Driver's Ed
Will I need to get adjustable endlinks along with the ohlins if I'm not planning to do any swaybar upgrades yet? Planning to run the out of box specifications on the vwsmu21s2 which should just be 15mm lower all around.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Will I need to get adjustable endlinks along with the ohlins if I'm not planning to do any swaybar upgrades yet? Planning to run the out of box specifications on the vwsmu21s2 which should just be 15mm lower all around.
Yes, if you want to get rid of the front bar pre-load.

If you don't you may have to fight with the bar to get it installed.

IGM2019

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, if you want to get rid of the front bar pre-load.

If you don't you may have to fight with the bar to get it installed.
Thanks David. The rears aren't a problem with the preload? Is that why I see most of the aftermarket ones aren't made to be adjustable for the rear?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

scrllock

Autocross Champion
you really should get end-links, but if you're on the original 200mm dampers, the lowering is so mild that you likely won't have too much trouble. I'm still on the default 5mm preload (8" swift springs) and it's certainly higher than eibach pro-kit springs.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Hey guys - needed a quick spot of advice. Have a potential BNIB set of Ohlins - only issue is that the part number is MT21. Any ideas of how to tell the spring rates apart between the R & GTI versions?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Hey guys - needed a quick spot of advice. Have a potential BNIB set of Ohlins - only issue is that the part number is MT21. Any ideas of how to tell the spring rates apart between the R & GTI versions?
The R version is 7k front 8k rear
Fwd is 7k front 7k rear

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The part number printed on the springs will tell you. No reason the seller shouldn't provide this (since it's not uncommon to find unexpected springs on used kits).

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
The R version is 7k front 8k rear
Fwd is 7k front 7k rear
Yeah - just wasn't sure if that info would be on the springs themselves. I'll ask him for pictures of the springs. Appreciate you guys.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yeah - just wasn't sure if that info would be on the springs themselves. I'll ask him for pictures of the springs. Appreciate you guys.
The springs are the least important part of the kit. You are buying the shock.

That being said, you can run any rate all the way up to 12/18K or 650/1000 in/lbs

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
The springs are the least important part of the kit. You are buying the shock.

That being said, you can run any rate all the way up to 12/18K or 650/1000 in/lbs

Would ideally like to run them as is at least for right now. Only reason I ask is so I don’t have too low of a rate in the rear for the R

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
I’m somewhat interested in these- mostly will be street driving. I’m on stock DCC/Eibach currently with Eurosport top camber mounts. The Ohlins springs for an R= 400/575. That seems ‘very’ high rate compared to Eibach Pro kit at 177/257. Do those numbers translate into a much firmer ride on the Ohlins set to ‘street’ damper settings?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I’m somewhat interested in these- mostly will be street driving. I’m on stock DCC/Eibach currently with Eurosport top camber mounts. The Ohlins springs for an R= 400/575. That seems ‘very’ high rate compared to Eibach Pro kit at 177/257. Do those numbers translate into a much firmer ride on the Ohlins set to ‘street’ damper settings?
With good dampers it's not a big issue. Full soft and I'd say it's not that much stiffer than DCC/eibach.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The Ohlins are a mid-level track/autocross shock.

You can get a great street ride for a lot less money, but these can work. They also don't go very low, and if you try the ride will suffer without sufficiently stiffer spring rates.

Depending on the quality of your streets the ride can be bumpy.