GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have experience with updated Ohlins road and track kit?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I'm considering upping the rear spring rates in my car. Still a bit pushy with the 400/575 setup I have now.

Regarding front camber, I was trying out the Eurosport offset inserts with the OEM mounts along with CSS knuckles. I thought it would be a good solution for a street driven car without any added NVH. Got about -2.6 degrees of camber which I was very pleased with. Unfortunately as I was worried about, the offset angle did result in an issue. It seems that the Ohlins supplied upper spring bearing has separated on the outer side leading to some bad spring bind. After a track day, the passenger side adjuster came loose and I've been getting a constant popping noise up front.

Now to decide if I should get go all in on some Vorshlag plates or give up on tracking what was supposed to be my practical commuter car... @Mini7 , with the Vorshlag plates the upper spring bearing is included correct? I couldn't find a replacement for the Ohlins bearing online (PN 25602-02). I'll contact 3DM depending on what I decide to do.

View attachment 211463
You should move to a spherical coaxial spring setup. I think the Vorshlag is okay, but limits the car's lowering potential with all the hardware.

I was able to get pretty low with my cobbled together GC plate.

king526

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi S3
What is the spring length?

Im assuming 7” if you have helper springs?
No these are the stock 8" springs that came with the Ohlins but I had them upgraded to 80n/mm for the front and 90n/mm for the rears. I purchased new 7" Swift springs in 9kg and 11kg and thinking i was going to need helper springs for the front, i ordered 2 sets.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
You should move to a spherical coaxial spring setup. I think the Vorshlag is okay, but limits the car's lowering potential with all the hardware.

I was able to get pretty low with my cobbled together GC plate.
I've always heard great things about Vorshlag so I think I'll give them a try this time. Not too concerned about lowering as I keep telling myself to keep this car practical haha. I haven't been a huge fan of the GC products I've tried in the past, but the MK7 plates do look nice at least from a features and design standpoint. Have yours been noisy at all?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I've always heard great things about Vorshlag so I think I'll give them a try this time. Not too concerned about lowering as I keep telling myself to keep this car practical haha. I haven't been a huge fan of the GC products I've tried in the past, but the MK7 plates do look nice at least from a features and design standpoint. Have yours been noisy at all?
No noise from my plates, and I’ve never heard anyone else, except for that “one” forum member, complain about noise.

tolas

I got -2.5 degrees camber at stock ride height with the Vorshlag plates. My current combo of Vorshlag plates and CSS swivels got me to -3.4 degrees.

@Mini7 What caused the -2.5 limit with just the Vorshlags though, as in theory they should be able to add much more negative camber. Were you limited by not wanting to notch/cut the strut tower holes for the shock adjustment knobs? I'm asking because I was hoping that just the Vorshlags + Ohlins alone could get me to -3.5 camber.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
@Mini7 What caused the -2.5 limit with just the Vorshlags though, as in theory they should be able to add much more negative camber. Were you limited by not wanting to notch/cut the strut tower holes for the shock adjustment knobs? I'm asking because I was hoping that just the Vorshlags + Ohlins alone could get me to -3.5 camber.
No way I was going to get much more than -2.5 with plates alone at stock ride height. Ohlins have the rebound adjusters on the bottom, so no issues there. The upper shock swaybar mount starts to come into play with the inner wheel fender.

Adding the CSS swivels help with inner fender clearance And got me an additional 1-degree of camber.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Made my final mounting modification for now.

Got new hardware (upper spring top hat and alignment bushing) installed.

The first photo shows the new setup on the left and previous setup (with washers) on the right.

86D30668-C9CD-4419-9176-B1BE0DAB2FAD.jpeg

This next photo shows the new setup compared to the supplied Ohlins hardware connected to an 034 camber plate (OEM style) mounting.

BA7ADE96-D0D7-45AF-805E-1FBB057FCAFA.jpeg

All 8 inch springs shown are tightened to 7 5/8 preload.

The clunking noise I was getting from the left shock is gone.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

The first photo shows the new setup on the left and previous setup (with washers) on the right.

View attachment 220455

This next photo shows the new setup compared to the supplied Ohlins hardware connected to an 034 camber plate (OEM style) mounting.

View attachment 220456

Wow that removes a lot of stack height.

The new version of the Ohlins shocks does have less overall height, so the extremes gone through there to get lowering aren't as necessary. That said, they're still waiting on production. I just went with the old version and will deal with being stock ride height :)

king526

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi S3

View attachment 220455

View attachment 220456

what new hardware did you get and from where. cause i have a clunking noise at low speed from the right shock.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
what new hardware did you get and from where. cause i have a clunking noise at low speed from the right shock.
The top hats are from turner motorsports and the bearing sleeves are from Speedway Motors.

Both items had to be bored out to 15mm to work.

Reactions: q74

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R

View attachment 220455

View attachment 220456

Can you share full list of parts required (and where you ordered from), and any other work done to convert GC plates to this bearing style?

I see you mention a few of parts above, but I want ensure I'm not missimg anything. I'm intrested in possibly making same modification to my GC plates as well.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Anyone who's purchased the kit, do you know if you got both the 10mm and 12mm rear shock spacers, and which shock mount p/n you used?

1655047399158.png

Talking to Barry @ 3DM, I picked up one of the first versions of the kit, MP20 which predates any of the ones mentioned in this thread. Had a 2015 build date on the sticker. The former owner included his shock mounts, which seem to just be a different revision of the new ones I picked up from FCP. Looks like he also trimmed his bump stops.

Going through all the info I could find, the VWS MU21/MT22 kits just have a 20mm shortened body and the stiffer rear valving than the earlier revisions (looks like they went from 70/50 to 70/70 and then 70/80 for 4WD). Stock spring ID is 65mm and length is 200mm for the earlier ones, 180mm for the new ones (which are still backordered based on talking to Barry).