GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have experience with ARM FMIC?

Benjimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Non-PP
In search of a FMIC. Have seen posts about neuspeed, cts and Wagner. But have yet to come across anything about ARM. Their FMIC has a higher cubic inch than most that I’ve seen. It’s bar and plate as well and claims up to 500+ HP capable (not that I will ever come anywhere close).

They have a lifetime warranty, which makes me feel a little better, but I am yet to see any reviews on them. Seems like a well built IC with a good price too.

dmsyr

Ready to race!
I installed mine 2 weeks ago. I bought the charge pipes upgrade as well since they were running a deal when I bought my kit in Feb. I haven't really had much road time but I definitely notice a difference in throttle response and IAT's drop really quickly from what I've seen on my jb4 app. Build is solid. If I hadn't installed the charge pipes at the same time install would have taken just a few hours. However I am no professional mechanic and it took way longer than I anticipated as my buddy and I only had a .pdf and YouTube DIY's to refer to. And not actually attempted an install of this kind ever.

I love the way it looks. And now that I am essentially full bolt on I am on the fence of ditching my jb4 for an Accessport. Ugh.

If you do go with the charge pipes I would suggest using different clamps than the ones provided. Just use normal hose clamps. I did not and I have been having issues with the lower charge pipe popping apart (happened 4 times) Probably just not tight enough due to the tight space and odd shape of the clamps. But idk. Actually taking it to a shop to have them take a look to see if the fitment is just off just enough to pop apart or something like that.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Golf sport wagen and not GTI, but some of my experience:

Picked up mine awhile ago and got around to installing it this month. So far so good (3ish weeks and counting), things seem to be happy. I'll be running some logs when I get a chance, but things have been hectic so that's been put off for a bit. Some notes: Their instructions kinda suck with the order they have things listed. Reading through them a few times to familiarize yourself is recommended. Others have used youtube for vids posted of the arm install there, and claim they help quite a bit more.
Ambient air sensor has you grind/break or bend the OEM tab on the crash bar - not sure if this is common with FMICs or just the ARM but be aware. I had to break mine off as folded over didn't allow enough clearance to line up the mounting brackets up top, but as always YMMV.
Also note myself and a few others have noticed that the relocation of the air sensor has the reported temps on the Cluster and the Radio (when not using phone connection) reading a bit high. The mounting bar puts the new location for the sensor behind the crash bar. Prior with a hot engine/sun parking it'll be off by a bit as the OEM location would, takes about 5-10 minutes before it'll report within the 3-5 degree variance. I've so far measured it from the dash cluster vs what my phone reports to judge the 3-5 degree variance. No issues once it's dropped within variance with drive thrus or stop and go and it spiking on my end so far, we'll see as summer heats up.

Went with stealth black for my finish and noticed two minor issues with the finish. One on the back where a small 1/2 inch section of the fins either chipped/scraped or didn't take the finish and one on the front where the finish was bubbled like some dust or other got in. Both cosmetic and not a big enough issue to send it back IMO, you'd have to be about a foot away from the grille or closer to even notice the bumps.

You also -may- have some issues with the OEM rubber/plastic air fins/guides that run either side of the OEM air cooled stack. I had to remove mine due to no room between the FMIC and the hoses for the AC condenser. You may also see slightly higher oil temps - I installed as things are getting warmer, but I do see 230-235ish temps where I would normally see 228-230ish prior; again it's warming up here so take with a grain a salt. I commonly have seen 228ish on the high side if not 234ish when romping with temps during the California "winter" being 55-68ish ambient out. Highest with a romp for oil has been 237 so far that i've seen with it being 73ish outside.

I can say I've been in contact with their customer service since my purchase of their FMIC and DP, and things have been great. Learned the Golf/GSW is 60mm and not 65 like the GTI exhaust with their DP, but they've been great with response and attempts to help sort things out. Had a clamp strip in tightening with the FMIC and they've shipped a replacement at no charge. Once that arrives and I can swap the OEM worm i'll probably run some logs. Their response time has been at longest 3 days via email, and they are happy to help with any concerns I've had.

So far it's been a great company and a good experience all around.

Some existing logs from another source I came across when looking up info:
http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/10/arm-motorsports-fmic-bench-cooling-test/
http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/10/arm-fmic-street-data/

Honestly if you don't want to go over 350-400ish HP, i'd say it's a great buy for the cost over existing kits.

Last edited:

Benjimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Non-PP
Thanks for the replies. After reading I’m basically sold. Good customer service goes a long way. Hoping their build quality lives up to what they state. Overall, it probably better than an eBay special that I know some people enjoy. So here goes nothing...

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Mine is on the way

dmsyr

Ready to race!
I forgot to add that I have been in contact with customer service as well and have been very pleased with them on that front. Most cases same-day replies.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I already had the same intercooler they use a replica of so I purchased the hardware and charge pipes (and got a hell of a deal!) but I was unable to get the throttle pipe-specifically the MAP sensor-far enough away from the fan shroud to be comfortable. Honestly just trying to get the pipes as secure and close to OEM routing was the most difficult part, everything else went as smooth as can be!

1619829150793.png

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Golf sport wagen and not GTI, but some of my experience:

Picked up mine awhile ago and got around to installing it this month. So far so good (3ish weeks and counting), things seem to be happy. I'll be running some logs when I get a chance, but things have been hectic so that's been put off for a bit. Some notes: Their instructions kinda suck with the order they have things listed. Reading through them a few times to familiarize yourself is recommended. Others have used youtube for vids posted of the arm install there, and claim they help quite a bit more.
Ambient air sensor has you grind/break or bend the OEM tab on the crash bar - not sure if this is common with FMICs or just the ARM but be aware. I had to break mine off as folded over didn't allow enough clearance to line up the mounting brackets up top, but as always YMMV.
Also note myself and a few others have noticed that the relocation of the air sensor has the reported temps on the Cluster and the Radio (when not using phone connection) reading a bit high. The mounting bar puts the new location for the sensor behind the crash bar. Prior with a hot engine/sun parking it'll be off by a bit as the OEM location would, takes about 5-10 minutes before it'll report within the 3-5 degree variance. I've so far measured it from the dash cluster vs what my phone reports to judge the 3-5 degree variance. No issues once it's dropped within variance with drive thrus or stop and go and it spiking on my end so far, we'll see as summer heats up.

Went with stealth black for my finish and noticed two minor issues with the finish. One on the back where a small 1/2 inch section of the fins either chipped/scraped or didn't take the finish and one on the front where the finish was bubbled like some dust or other got in. Both cosmetic and not a big enough issue to send it back IMO, you'd have to be about a foot away from the grille or closer to even notice the bumps.

You also -may- have some issues with the OEM rubber/plastic air fins/guides that run either side of the OEM air cooled stack. I had to remove mine due to no room between the FMIC and the hoses for the AC condenser. You may also see slightly higher oil temps - I installed as things are getting warmer, but I do see 230-235ish temps where I would normally see 228-230ish prior; again it's warming up here so take with a grain a salt. I commonly have seen 228ish on the high side if not 234ish when romping with temps during the California "winter" being 55-68ish ambient out. Highest with a romp for oil has been 237 so far that i've seen with it being 73ish outside.

I can say I've been in contact with their customer service since my purchase of their FMIC and DP, and things have been great. Learned the Golf/GSW is 60mm and not 65 like the GTI exhaust with their DP, but they've been great with response and attempts to help sort things out. Had a clamp strip in tightening with the FMIC and they've shipped a replacement at no charge. Once that arrives and I can swap the OEM worm i'll probably run some logs. Their response time has been at longest 3 days via email, and they are happy to help with any concerns I've had.

So far it's been a great company and a good experience all around.

Some existing logs from another source I came across when looking up info:
http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/10/arm-motorsports-fmic-bench-cooling-test/
http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/10/arm-fmic-street-data/

Honestly if you don't want to go over 350-400ish HP, i'd say it's a great buy for the cost over existing kits.
Did you have to cut or remove the side panels on either side of the lower grill? or is this what you're describing as "plastic air fins / guides"?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Did you have to cut or remove the side panels on either side of the lower grill? or is this what you're describing as "plastic air fins / guides"?
When you drop the bumper their are two plastic fins that sit on either side of the cooling stack to force air through them, rather than around the rest of the bumper. Picture for reference:
View attachment 1640727847610.png
View attachment 1640727878248.png

Due to how the piping sits at the bottom, at least on the 1.8T for the GSW I cannot reinstall them. I suppose I could attempt to modify or maybe print up a solution. Been taking a break from the car, but haven't had issues otherwise.
1640727977724.png

Edit: Other than that, no cutting or removing anything. Just flipping the horns the other way. Main reason I went with the ARM FMIC over others was they advertise no cutting on the 1.8T (outside OEM Ambient air sensor bracket), where is ECS and other require trimming of the bumper to fit.

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
When you drop the bumper their are two plastic fins that sit on either side of the cooling stack to force air through them, rather than around the rest of the bumper. Picture for reference:
View attachment 233799
View attachment 233800

Due to how the piping sits at the bottom, at least on the 1.8T for the GSW I cannot reinstall them. I suppose I could attempt to modify or maybe print up a solution. Been taking a break from the car, but haven't had issues otherwise.
View attachment 233801

Edit: Other than that, no cutting or removing anything. Just flipping the horns the other way. Main reason I went with the ARM FMIC over others was they advertise no cutting on the 1.8T (outside OEM Ambient air sensor bracket), where is ECS and other require trimming of the bumper to fit.
so did you cut your lower grill cut out to fit?

GTI Jake did an install on 2015 golf of his, which is simlar size as ARM and he had to trim and remove it.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
so did you cut your lower grill cut out to fit?

GTI Jake did an install on 2015 golf of his, which is simlar size as ARM and he had to trim and remove it.
Nope. Only the air flaps had to be removed, and they just clip out. I have mine sitting in storage incase I ever need them. Everything else was pretty straight forward.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Nope. Only the air flaps had to be removed, and they just clip out. I have mine sitting in storage incase I ever need them. Everything else was pretty straight forward.
sorry for all the piecemeal questions, what year is your car?

edit nevermind, I see you are 2017. I'm going to study a parts diagram but it sounds promising

Last edited: