GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone have DCC + VWR springs?

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
As I will be purchasing a MK7 GTI with PP (which in Canada includes DCC....unfortunately), I will be lowering it on VWR springs to take advantage of the DCC (at least, that's the plan)

Is anyone already on this setup and can share you thoughts and opinion? Also, whether your shocks are doing okay?

I know these shocks will be hella expensive to replace if they blow....so I may still just get coilovers and sacrifice the DCC features.

Wadaya think?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I know these shocks will be hella expensive to replace if they blow....

I have read people speculate how much these DCC shocks are going to be to replace, but have not once seen how much the actual price is. Have you seen a price, or are you going off of Internet rumor?

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
I have read people speculate how much these DCC shocks are going to be to replace, but have not once seen how much the actual price is. Have you seen a price, or are you going off of Internet rumor?

Neither. Going with what I know about OEM shock prices along with the extra DCC module.

I think I will just get some B14 and sacrifice the DCC which I never wanted to begin with...

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
VWR designed these springs to work with DCC. If you go on the UK Golf R boards you will see lots of guys running this setup with great success. Everyone says don't use H&R springs as the variable rate lowering springs destroy ride quality with DCC.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
VWR designed these springs to work with DCC. If you go on the UK Golf R boards you will see lots of guys running this setup with great success. Everyone says don't use H&R springs as the variable rate lowering springs destroy ride quality with DCC.

Does R come with DCC?
I never considered H&R, would never run progressive springs.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Its optional in the R, yes

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
So most of the guys running VWR may just be on regular shocks.
I just don't want to risk that high cost of replacing DCC shocks down the road if they crap out (road here are pretty shitty)

No, there are threads specifically on DCC with VWRs on those boards. I was looking at getting an R with DCC and did a ton of research, I even had the first set of VWR Golf R springs in the US. Remember they have had DCC for over a year now, so they have some good seat time with a lot of their stuff and its a great resource.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
No, there are threads specifically on DCC with VWRs on those boards. I was looking at getting an R with DCC and did a ton of research, I even had the first set of VWR Golf R springs in the US. Remember they have had DCC for over a year now, so they have some good seat time with a lot of their stuff and its a great resource.

That sounds promising, but also depend on driving style, how much these guys drive, and lastly their road conditions.

Anyone know what will happen if I remove the DCC shocks and replace with coilovers? Where would the wiring in the wheel-well go? Would I get a dash error?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
There will be a dash error. You will have to use VAGCOM to reprogram it and ziptie up the wires somewhere out of the way. KW makes DCC compatible coilovers for the MK7, they plug right into the existing harness and have a dual chamber shock that it works in-conjunction with the oem system. Bilstein and a few other companies are releasing similar products soon too.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
There will be a dash error. You will have to use VAGCOM to reprogram it and ziptie up the wires somewhere out of the way. KW makes DCC compatible coilovers for the MK7, they plug right into the existing harness and have a dual chamber shock that it works in-conjunction with the oem system. Bilstein and a few other companies are releasing similar products soon too.

The KW DDC kit (is this twintube?) costs an arm and a leg...but I might just take the bite on the Bilstein B16 DampTronic if it's the most ideal solution....in the long run it's probably still cheaper than replacing DCC shocks!! Does it come with its own controller or we can still control the suspension settings via the GTI driving profile button beside the shifter?

Ugh, there's always something wrong in Canada....we either don't get a nice car (Scirroco) or we get it with EVERYTHING loaded (DCC, which I don't even want...)

Last edited:

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
The KW system AFAIK uses the same damper design as the one VW's DCC is based on(its technically a tri-tube), which is why it is plug and play to the DCC system. Bilstein has their own adaptive damper technology but that is not what's used by VW(but IS used by Nissan and Porsche, which is why they are plug and play to those cars).

FWIW I think you could be fine with running a lowering spring on the DCC car. The problem historically with normal shocks with lowering spring is that the damping force generated is fixed by the valving, they are designed to work with a certain amount of travel to dissipate road inputs(bumps), or body motion. If you lower the car you get less available travel in the compression direction and as a result you might not have enough force to stop the damper from bottoming out, and more you do that the more likely you will break something or blow out a seal or something, the damper is working harder beyond what it is designed for. DCC is adaptive, it knows a) where it is in the range of travel available(via some kind of height sensor at each corner and b) it can adjust how much force it can generate to best control what is happening, so it should be able to generate the needed force to maintain control.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
The KW system AFAIK uses the same damper design as the one VW's DCC is based on(its technically a tri-tube), which is why it is plug and play to the DCC system. Bilstein has their own adaptive damper technology but that is not what's used by VW(but IS used by Nissan and Porsche, which is why they are plug and play to those cars).

FWIW I think you could be fine with running a lowering spring on the DCC car. The problem historically with normal shocks with lowering spring is that the damping force generated is fixed by the valving, they are designed to work with a certain amount of travel to dissipate road inputs(bumps), or body motion. If you lower the car you get less available travel in the compression direction and as a result you might not have enough force to stop the damper from bottoming out, and more you do that the more likely you will break something or blow out a seal or something, the damper is working harder beyond what it is designed for. DCC is adaptive, it knows a) where it is in the range of travel available(via some kind of height sensor at each corner and b) it can adjust how much force it can generate to best control what is happening, so it should be able to generate the needed force to maintain control.

Thanks. I guess it really is just down to VWR springs (~$300 CAD) or KW DDC coilovers (~$3500-4000 CAD)

If that's the case...even if the DCC shocks blow, it will be cheaper to replace! haha.
I've just never been a fan of springs because from experience, stock shocks ALWAYS blow after certain mileage and potholes...the road here is pretty sh*tty....

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

This is great information. Thanks.

Rexican

Passed Driver's Ed
Any update on this? I purchased DCC car about 4 weeks ago and now looking into lowering the stance a little bit. I like the ride quality but the huge fender drives be a little crazy.