GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had windshield replaced on mk7.5 GTI with rainsensor and the crash avoidance options?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Dealer is saying it will take 5 hours and cost $750 to re-calibrate the car, requiring all sensors to be recalibrated and an alignment done. I thought the windshield with the one round spot was just the rain sensor and the crash avoidance sensors were behind the VW emblem. Anyone know if this sounds right?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Dealer is saying it will take 5 hours and cost $750 to re-calibrate the car, requiring all sensors to be recalibrated and an alignment done. I thought the windshield with the one round spot was just the rain sensor and the crash avoidance sensors were behind the VW emblem. Anyone know if this sounds right?
Mk7's have them in the crash bar/lower grill area. Mk7.5's the forward sensor is behind the emblem. Rain sensor sits on a pad in the rear view mirror trim.

Not sure on the recalibration part. I don't recall reading anyone needing that for rain/light when doing the retrofit.

Do you have the windshield camera for auto high beams? Only thing I could think would need recalibrating.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mk7's have them in the crash bar/lower grill area. Mk7.5's the forward sensor is behind the emblem. Rain sensor sits on a pad in the rear view mirror trim.

Not sure on the recalibration part. I don't recall reading anyone needing that for rain/light when doing the retrofit.

Do you have the windshield camera for auto high beams? Only thing I could think would need recalibrating.

No I don't.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Usually with OEM glass, a recalibration is not necessary, but recommended.

I'm pretty sure the sensor in the glass is for rain sensor and lane detection. ACC and crash avoidance are in the emblem.

I had my glass replaced, and in the week before recalibration (insurance covered it), never had any errors on the car, and I tested lane detection and ACC. I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of people on here say their car is just fine w/o recalibration when going with OEM glass.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
@GTIfan99

Sounds like you have the regular windshield that does not need to be re-calibrated for anything. Even if you do have the windshield camera, disconnecting the power for safe measure on the battery, followed by glass replacement and reintallation of the camera should not be a problem. The camera recalibrates it self after some driving.

If it helps, I replaced my windshield a few months after owning my 2019 GTI S. I also just finished retrofiting the Driver Assitance camera which required a windshield replacement. The only thing I had to do was calibrate the camera.

Good luck

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@GTIfan99

Sounds like you have the regular windshield that does not need to be re-calibrated for anything. Even if you do have the windshield camera, disconnecting the power for safe measure on the battery, followed by glass replacement and reintallation of the camera should not be a problem. The camera recalibrates it self after some driving.

If it helps, I replaced my windshield a few months after owning my 2019 GTI S. I also just finished retrofiting the Driver Assitance camera which required a windshield replacement. The only thing I had to do was calibrate the camera.

Good luck

Do you have a part number and who did the work?

AWD4416

Ready to race!
The original windshield replacement was handle by safelite through my insurance. They did a good enough job and I asked them to get the OEM glass. The second replacement was done by a local guy.

Basically if you talk with anyone, they will ask if you have a rain sensor or not. If you do have the camera, you have to mention that, then they will ask if you have the "Type R" and you say yes.

Unfortunatly i do not have the part number for the original glass. If it helps to narrow down the search, the windshield with the camera mount is 5GM-845-011-AT-NVB .

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The original windshield replacement was handle by safelite through my insurance. They did a good enough job and I asked them to get the OEM glass. The second replacement was done by a local guy.

Basically if you talk with anyone, they will ask if you have a rain sensor or not. If you do have the camera, you have to mention that, then they will ask if you have the "Type R" and you say yes.

Unfortunatly i do not have the part number for the original glass. If it helps to narrow down the search, the windshield with the camera mount is 5GM-845-011-AT-NVB .

So I told them yes last time and they brought a windshield with rain sensor AND lane departure camera. They are so bad.