GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone get a used oil analysis?

Jasper3

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all.
With all this long life oil and huge OCI's, does anyone do used oil analysis? It's fairly affordable with Blackstone Labs for $25/sample. I used to do it for a while with my previous car just to see if everything inside was ok. (It was great although fuel % was higher than normal due to the engine being GDI)
So does anyone do it?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
in for this. do this for all my cars

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
Someone posted one both here and on vortex awhile back. It suggested an early change for the first one and then 10k oci after that was probably fine with a quality oil and filter iirc.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
I did this, with Blackstone, for my previous car, a Jetta TDI. Good info.

Plan on doing it as well with the new GTI.

joema2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI 6MT
....With all this long life oil and huge OCI's, does anyone do used oil analysis? It's fairly affordable with Blackstone Labs for $25/sample....

I have 6,700 mi on my 2015 GTI with APR stage 1. I've had the oil changed twice, and had Dyson analysis and professional interpretation done both times. First change was at 2,889 mi on the oil, 2nd change was at 3,781 mi on the oil.

Analysis and interpretation indicated the early change was needed both times, and he recommended trying a different oil. Initial analysis was on the factory fill, presumably Castrol. Second analysis was on dealer-serviced Castrol Syntec 5W-40.

I'm now running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, and will have it analyzed in about 3,000 more miles.

See attached .PDF which he gave the OK to post.

Attachments

• DysonAnalysis2015GTI - Copy.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 806

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Joema,

Do you do the sample collection on your own or have a mechanic collect the sample?

I went to www.testoil.com and it appears they work directly with mechanic shops. I failed to see where they provide sample collection to general public.

joema2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI 6MT
Joema,

Do you do the sample collection on your own or have a mechanic collect the sample?

I went to www.testoil.com and it appears they work directly with mechanic shops. I failed to see where they provide sample collection to general public.

I use Dyson Labs; they provide a sample collection kit and pre-paid mailer. You can collect it yourself or have the mechanic do it. The analysis includes an extensive narrated audio commentary as he interprets each item on the results. It also includes unlimited follow-up questions via email, which are typically answered within 1-2 hours: http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
Blackstone is popular on BITOG but Joema has had a great experience with Dyson.

Joema, thank you for continuing to share your knowledge with the rest of us. Was planning on M1 0W40, Castrol 5w40, of Shell T6 5w40 as the change as I thought that the engine would benefit from a heavier oil than a 30 weight although I know that some of those oils, particularly the M1, are very light 40s that quickly shear into the 30 weight range. Have you posted about this on BITOG? If there is a place where I can keep up with your oil exploits I would like to know it.

joema2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI 6MT
...Was planning on M1 0W40, Castrol 5w40, of Shell T6 5w40 as the change as I thought that the engine would benefit from a heavier oil than a 30 weight ...Have you posted about this on BITOG? If there is a place where I can keep up with your oil exploits I would like to know it.

I'll post on BITOG as soon as I can. In the interim I suggest MkVII owners change oil at more frequent intervals, esp. if modified.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just got the results of my first oil analysis from Blackstone Labs. This is my 2nd oil change. Analysis done at 20K miles and I'm using 10K interval, did not analyze the first oil change. Copper, nickel and titanium seem to be slightly above normal but they say it's nothing to be concerned about. Will be keeping an eye on it. It seems like the elevated copper levels are bit common. Any thoughts?

2017 GTI Sport DSG
JB1 for over 12,000 miles
Dealership oil changes using 5W/40 Castrol
91 Octane
Daily driver, medium to heavy on the throttle everyday. Typical day I go WOT often and it's mostly freeway driving. I don't push it beyond that too often.

Attachments

• 180504_20K.JPG
    180504_20K.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,067
Last edited:

zero10

Ready to race!
UOA looks good! I'm creeping closer to my second oil change (30,000km) and will be doing analysis on it just like my first. I am pretty sure the copper is just leeching out from the oil cooler and other new parts, the nickel is interesting but it is really low so I wouldn't worry. If it started increasing... then I'd worry.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Copper is from bearing break-in, brazed parts in contact with oil, and oil additive, no worries. Nickel is a piston wrist pin alloy and should be in the low single digit ppms for our cars. Keep an eye on this.