GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone fitted Bilstein B16 Damptronic Coilovers?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
B16 with DCC delete here, works great on the street using it on settings 2-5 and run decent times on track with it at higher settings.

The springs rates are on the lower side of the spectrum, so they are very good on the street and good for occasional track use. No complaints thus far.
Do you have solid top mounts?

Jpr

Car(s)
2018 Golf R 2015 911
Hey everyone, Bringing the thread out of the dead for this one, since I feel we may actually have a different option for those that feel deleting the DCC is the best solution. Or even for those who opt to get into the Damptronics.

We have just completed development on our DSC Sport Active Suspension controller to be released next month. This is a replacement for the factory control module and offers completely new tuning for your suspension and can even be custom tuned to your liking or specific needs.

Imagine a suspension system that knows when you are turning, braking, accelerating, or cruising and adjusts accordingly in real time. Imagine the possibilities of being able to tune that suspension down to milliseconds based on weight transfer dynamics and vehicle inputs. And all it requires is a simple Plug N Play controller. So in simple terms we increase the dynamic range of the factory controller adjustment using the entire dampening range of the factory shocks . Most factory kits will see a fixed 20% stiffness in a comfort mode and 80% in sport/ race. We are able to tune that to 0-100% for all modes but instead have it read the forces the car is seeing to adjust accordingly. Our controller constantly monitors G Force, Brake Pressure, Steering Angle, Speed, Acceleration, Shock Calibration, and Velocity and makes adjustments in milliseconds.

The factory driving modes will all be completely retuned with what we believe is how it should've come from factory (which has seen amazing feedback). And then those can be further adjusted based on your needs and driving habits by you at anytime or you can even reach out to us for a more custom tune. So say you'd like your comfort mode to be softer or maybe your race mode a little more still on high speed corners but softer on low speed, this all can be alter and done at anytime. All of this is done through a USB Cable plugged into the controller while still in the car. And can be done completely on the fly and even while the car is running.

There has been a lot of work that has went into the controller over the past year and we have finally been able to work out all of the kinks in the VW and Audi controllers. We have installed 6 controllers this week as a very last test and to get a few more customer reviews on the tuning files for all of the modes before going public with great success. We are also now working on dynoing a set of Bilstein Damptronics, and creating a custom file for people who make that upgrade as well.
I have Purchase the DSC controller and installed it last week end. Super easy to installed, I was worried to kill the ride with lowering spring or Bilstein coilover. I like the improvement it did to the suspension on my daily drive. Can't wait to test it on the track in 2 weeks, being my daily driver and tracking it once a month, the DSC controller will suit what I am looking for now.

prime8evolved

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you guys plan to run a B6 Damptronic shock dyno as well? Considering these are supposed to be a small upgrade to the OEM shocks, I wonder if they allow for both compression and rebound adjustment between settings.
I can verify that these are definitely an upgrade from the factory struts/shocks. I run these exact shocks I purchased from FCP Euro last year. Zero complaints. They offer a kit to that also includes the upper mount for front and rear. At 75,000 miles the struts were long overdue.
I have no issues leaving it in race mode while driving it on known roads near where I live now.

Jpr

Car(s)
2018 Golf R 2015 911
Tracked my Golf R last week with the DSC sport computer installed for the first time. I saw definitive improvement on the track from the stock computer. For myself it does what I was looking for my everyday driving and track day. Next I have purchase and will be adding the front and rear strut braces to stiffen up the car and add a bit of camber in front with the Euro Sport street camber kit adding .8 degree on top of my .5 degree from my Superpro control arm. Wanted a sportier ride without adding suspension noises from some of the after market coil over and adjustable camber plates. I read that the OEM shock rebound is adjustable and the rebound on the Bilstein wasn't adjustable and this led me to try the DSC Sport with OEM shock.

steinfeld

Passed Driver's Ed
So the B16's damptronic are worst than stock in active performance? What's another option for coilovers for those that would like to keep the DCC?

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Jpr and others: any additional track reviews of the DSC?
Bern

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
All I can say is I've been very pleased with my B16 DCC Bilstein coilovers. They work perfectly, just like all the other Bilsteins I've used over 3 decades. (Damn I'm old)

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I can verify that these are definitely an upgrade from the factory struts/shocks. I run these exact shocks I purchased from FCP Euro last year. Zero complaints. They offer a kit to that also includes the upper mount for front and rear. At 75,000 miles the struts were long overdue.
I have no issues leaving it in race mode while driving it on known roads near where I live now.
This is pretty much what I've found. While the low speed damping at all settings is firmer than the stock Monroe struts, the high speed damping seems smoother. Big motions, like going over railroad crossings and potholes are taken with ease, and no bottoming out, like the stock shocks are prone to doing.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Looking for some help from experienced folk on here.

I run MSS springs on my DCC gti, 90k miles on them. Honestly, the ride quality has been great and the performance awesome, no complaints

The struts began to fail at 80k, it wasn’t rebounding correctly, and now at 60k on the replacement OE DCC struts, they’re failing again.

The springs have also settled so much the car is too low, even after replacing struts the first time, it’s so low it’s wearing struts out faster. So I think the springs need to go in the trash, shame for expensive springs.

I want a coil over solution where I can adjust the ride height (because I don’t like too low) but it’s most important to me that the ride is comfortable. I’m sure I’ll find the performance acceptable.

Anyone have a solution? I was thinking non-DCC b16 since I heard you can get them more comfortable than the Damptronic, but are there other solutions? If I go with a b4 or b6 strut…what springs match, that are not too low?

Worst case I can get another set of OE DCC dampers cheap from Europe and try to modify the fender liner so it’ll quit rubbing

Attachments

• 4C22DFA4-0530-41DE-B755-0FB910BB01CA.jpeg
    4C22DFA4-0530-41DE-B755-0FB910BB01CA.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:

martinm0

I think the consensus is that the Eibach Pro springs are the ones for those interested in only a slight drop from OEM height. I have these along with a set of B6 DCCs that I just need time to install.

I'd also recommend looking at FCP Euro for shocks since they offer their lifetime replacement guarantee if things fail. I specifically bought my shocks/struts and springs from them in case the B6s give up sooner than they should when paired with lowering springs. Just note that FCP requires you to buy the exact same parts as a replacement, and they will credit you the cost (they don't just pay you out if they fail).

Regarding coilovers, I don't have any info to offer on that front. I looked at the B16 DCC setup, but felt like it was lower than I wanted even at it's highest setting, so I just decided to go with the static option since I don't plan to adjust things over time.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I think the consensus is that the Eibach Pro springs are the ones for those interested in only a slight drop from OEM height. I have these along with a set of B6 DCCs that I just need time to install.

I'd also recommend looking at FCP Euro for shocks since they offer their lifetime replacement guarantee if things fail. I specifically bought my shocks/struts and springs from them in case the B6s give up sooner than they should when paired with lowering springs. Just note that FCP requires you to buy the exact same parts as a replacement, and they will credit you the cost (they don't just pay you out if they fail).

Regarding coilovers, I don't have any info to offer on that front. I looked at the B16 DCC setup, but felt like it was lower than I wanted even at it's highest setting, so I just decided to go with the static option since I don't plan to adjust things over time.

I’d love to see a photo of the b16 at max height so I can judge for myself.

Good to know on Eibach…are those considered superior to the MSS? Why b6 vs the OE strut?

Big FCP customer here, though at the time I purchased OE DCC struts from europe, they were literally less than half the cost from any US vendor, so went that route.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Looking for some help from experienced folk on here.

I run MSS springs on my DCC gti, 90k miles on them. Honestly, the ride quality has been great and the performance awesome, no complaints

The struts began to fail at 80k, it wasn’t rebounding correctly, and now at 60k on the replacement OE DCC struts, they’re failing again.

The springs have also settled so much the car is too low, even after replacing struts the first time, it’s so low it’s wearing struts out faster. So I think the springs need to go in the trash, shame for expensive springs.

I want a coil over solution where I can adjust the ride height (because I don’t like too low) but it’s most important to me that the ride is comfortable. I’m sure I’ll find the performance acceptable.

Anyone have a solution? I was thinking non-DCC b16 since I heard you can get them more comfortable than the Damptronic, but are there other solutions? If I go with a b4 or b6 strut…what springs match, that are not too low?

Worst case I can get another set of OE DCC dampers cheap from Europe and try to modify the fender liner so it’ll quit rubbing
Have you done the DCC reset to calibrate for the lowered ride height?