GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone fitted Bilstein B16 Damptronic Coilovers?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... I was torn between B4 and B6 Damptronics (again, stock height on stock springs). I never even considered the B16s since people already said the B6s were one step up in each mode, which I didn't want.

Would basic settings be doable with ODIS? I'm not opposed to going to the dealer, just have to find one that doesn't mind giving it a shot on my car which wasn't available with DCC. There are a couple shops semi-local to me with ODIS access, one of which will likely do my alignment after I finish my DDC install anyway.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I know the Bilstein PSS9/10's for my 911 came with instructions with very specific ride heights. IE, bilstein says to not lower the car beyond a certain amount. Most people do, because "low life". Which means they're going to ride like crap. I wouldn't be surprised if that's whats going on with your friends car.

LVGolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
I know the Bilstein PSS9/10's for my 911 came with instructions with very specific ride heights. IE, bilstein says to not lower the car beyond a certain amount. Most people do, because "low life". Which means they're going to ride like crap. I wouldn't be surprised if that's whats going on with your friends car.
Friend here. I’m about halfway down in the rear, and have around 1” to lower in the front.

LVGolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
regardless of basic setting he should feel the difference unless he is spun down and sitting on bumpstops......the DCC basic setting is performed the same way we do at Audi on the 8V S3/RS3, your car has to be lifted on a rack and all shocks at zero full droop just like when your headlights relearn there basic setting
He’s talking about my car. I don’t think I’m on bump stops. Still have a bunch of room to lower. I don’t mind the stiff ride. I usually drive in race anyways, but when I switch to comfort I don’t really feel a difference. What should I ask for at the dealership?

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Friend here. I’m about halfway down in the rear, and have around 1” to lower in the front.

That's not what Bilstein uses to as a basis for their measurements. I could lower my 911 way more than recommended, there's plenty of thread left to use. In the install instructions Bilstein will have a diagram showing the two points they use as their measurements and give you a range you should be in for ride height.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
That's not what Bilstein uses to as a basis for their measurements. I could lower my 911 way more than recommended, there's plenty of thread left to use. In the install instructions Bilstein will have a diagram showing the two points they use as their measurements and give you a range you should be in for ride height.
For the pss10 kit on the mk7, Bilstein specifically calls out to not use threads below a certain level (even though they exist) and to ensure there is always at least 15 lbs of preload at full droop. One of my fronts went low enough during a corner balance to go below the 15lbs of preload and it felt rough and made some noise. I upped the load and raised the car by about 0.25" and it's much more comfy, no noise. At this point it still has over an inch left on the front threads. Overall this is actually lower than the car needs to be for track use. On the track the pss10 are okay, but I definitely need more spring in front and rear. The B16 damptronic are even softer than the pss10, so I imagine they will also need more spring with anything more than street rubber.

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
I’ve owned my R since new and its now covered just 37k.
I’ve put a fair amount in to the car it handles well for a cheap road and occasional track excursion tbh.
Think I’ll leave it as it is and give the Damptronic kit a miss.
I’m at the point where either late 2021 into 2022 when I’m probably going to move into either a 2019 RS5 or A45S. I’ll save my money and put towards a new car.

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
I would recommend defeating the DCC and going B16 non DCC. I sold my KW V3's and went with the B16's and very satisfied with the ride.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
i had the pss10s on my car turned all the way down and i never had any ride issues, car ran very smooth, handled great. My buddy with a a3 with konis and EMD springs loved the quality of the ride in my car vs his.
I have just recently removed them and installed the DCC bilstein coilovers but since my car is parked for the winter i will have to wait to see how the DCC ones drive
shamesless plugbut i am selling my pss10 b16 ($750usd shipped) if anyone is interested. PM me for more details and pics

DSC Sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 Golf R
Hey everyone, Bringing the thread out of the dead for this one, since I feel we may actually have a different option for those that feel deleting the DCC is the best solution. Or even for those who opt to get into the Damptronics.

We have just completed development on our DSC Sport Active Suspension controller to be released next month. This is a replacement for the factory control module and offers completely new tuning for your suspension and can even be custom tuned to your liking or specific needs.

Imagine a suspension system that knows when you are turning, braking, accelerating, or cruising and adjusts accordingly in real time. Imagine the possibilities of being able to tune that suspension down to milliseconds based on weight transfer dynamics and vehicle inputs. And all it requires is a simple Plug N Play controller. So in simple terms we increase the dynamic range of the factory controller adjustment using the entire dampening range of the factory shocks . Most factory kits will see a fixed 20% stiffness in a comfort mode and 80% in sport/ race. We are able to tune that to 0-100% for all modes but instead have it read the forces the car is seeing to adjust accordingly. Our controller constantly monitors G Force, Brake Pressure, Steering Angle, Speed, Acceleration, Shock Calibration, and Velocity and makes adjustments in milliseconds.

The factory driving modes will all be completely retuned with what we believe is how it should've come from factory (which has seen amazing feedback). And then those can be further adjusted based on your needs and driving habits by you at anytime or you can even reach out to us for a more custom tune. So say you'd like your comfort mode to be softer or maybe your race mode a little more still on high speed corners but softer on low speed, this all can be alter and done at anytime. All of this is done through a USB Cable plugged into the controller while still in the car. And can be done completely on the fly and even while the car is running.

There has been a lot of work that has went into the controller over the past year and we have finally been able to work out all of the kinks in the VW and Audi controllers. We have installed 6 controllers this week as a very last test and to get a few more customer reviews on the tuning files for all of the modes before going public with great success. We are also now working on dynoing a set of Bilstein Damptronics, and creating a custom file for people who make that upgrade as well.

txricancarguy

Gearhead
I’m not surprised people find the B16 Damptronic to be too stiff. I run them on a 997 and it’s the exact same thing. When I turn on Sport shock settings on PASM it’s just too stiff… and I’m used to stiff cars as is!

DSC Sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 Golf R
We had some pretty interesting findings today when shock dynoing the Bilstein Damptronic B16's for a MK7 Golf R (part number 49-255874). We found the Bilsteins only are able to control the rebound, while the factory shocks are able to control both compression and rebound with their valving. This means the Bilstein Damptronics are a less capable setup when looking at compression adjustment, but still happen to have slightly greater rebound range. Basically the only benefits to the Damptronics are adjustable spring perches to change ride height and stiffer springs. But are not beneficial when looking at the "active" functionalities of the shock. This is due to the valve used in this specific shock, however in other Bilstein kits we have tested, like the Porsche Kit, the valve is different and was able to control both rebound and compression.

VW_Bilstein_rear_vs_stock.png
Bilstein_vs_Stock-3.png
Bilstein_vs_Stock-2.png

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
We had some pretty interesting findings today when shock dynoing the Bilstein Damptronic B16's for a MK7 Golf R (part number 49-255874). We found the Bilsteins only are able to control the rebound, while the factory shocks are able to control both compression and rebound with their valving. This means the Bilstein Damptronics are a less capable setup when looking at compression adjustment, but still happen to have slightly greater rebound range. Basically the only benefits to the Damptronics are adjustable spring perches to change ride height and stiffer springs. But are not beneficial when looking at the "active" functionalities of the shock. This is due to the valve used in this specific shock, however in other Bilstein kits we have tested, like the Porsche Kit, the valve is different and was able to control both rebound and compression.

View attachment 206502 View attachment 206503 View attachment 206504
Now re-test the shock in its designed orientation and report back. The B16 Damptronic isn’t a Monotube-Shock where orientation doesn’t matter. If you test a Twintube-Shock upside-down the base-valve sits in the gas pocket and cavitates all day long. 😉

DSC Sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 Golf R
Now re-test the shock in its designed orientation and report back. The B16 Damptronic isn’t a Monotube-Shock where orientation doesn’t matter. If you test a Twintube-Shock upside-down the base-valve sits in the gas pocket and cavitates all day long. 😉
The graphs seen are with it in the designed orientation. It was tested both ways. Originally in the the intended upright orientation and then also in the inverted setup. We wanted to see what the change would be each way. The curves were still the same since there is no compression adjustment

tempImageWXuOSu.jpg

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
Hey everyone, Bringing the thread out of the dead for this one, since I feel we may actually have a different option for those that feel deleting the DCC is the best solution. Or even for those who opt to get into the Damptronics.

We have just completed development on our DSC Sport Active Suspension controller to be released next month. This is a replacement for the factory control module and offers completely new tuning for your suspension and can even be custom tuned to your liking or specific needs.

Imagine a suspension system that knows when you are turning, braking, accelerating, or cruising and adjusts accordingly in real time. Imagine the possibilities of being able to tune that suspension down to milliseconds based on weight transfer dynamics and vehicle inputs. And all it requires is a simple Plug N Play controller. So in simple terms we increase the dynamic range of the factory controller adjustment using the entire dampening range of the factory shocks . Most factory kits will see a fixed 20% stiffness in a comfort mode and 80% in sport/ race. We are able to tune that to 0-100% for all modes but instead have it read the forces the car is seeing to adjust accordingly. Our controller constantly monitors G Force, Brake Pressure, Steering Angle, Speed, Acceleration, Shock Calibration, and Velocity and makes adjustments in milliseconds.

The factory driving modes will all be completely retuned with what we believe is how it should've come from factory (which has seen amazing feedback). And then those can be further adjusted based on your needs and driving habits by you at anytime or you can even reach out to us for a more custom tune. So say you'd like your comfort mode to be softer or maybe your race mode a little more still on high speed corners but softer on low speed, this all can be alter and done at anytime. All of this is done through a USB Cable plugged into the controller while still in the car. And can be done completely on the fly and even while the car is running.

There has been a lot of work that has went into the controller over the past year and we have finally been able to work out all of the kinks in the VW and Audi controllers. We have installed 6 controllers this week as a very last test and to get a few more customer reviews on the tuning files for all of the modes before going public with great success. We are also now working on dynoing a set of Bilstein Damptronics, and creating a custom file for people who make that upgrade as well.
Definitely keeping an eye on this :D