GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone fitted Bilstein B16 Damptronic Coilovers?

martinm0

I’d love to see a photo of the b16 at max height so I can judge for myself.

Good to know on Eibach…are those considered superior to the MSS? Why b6 vs the OE strut?

Big FCP customer here, though at the time I purchased OE DCC struts from europe, they were literally less than half the cost from any US vendor, so went that route.
Agreed on the B16 images. I can't recall where I changed down the info, but I did find some specs that showed min/max drop heights. I think it was something like 1"-1.5", but don't quote me.

From what I know about the Eibachs from other cars I've modded, they have always been the modest drop/slight firm up option for those that don't want to look truly lowered. The MSS springs are more costly than anything else, so I think that makes them a hard comparison in terms of "superiority". I live in the north east and drive the R in the snow, so I don't really want to lower the car - I just want it to be more planted and less sloppy.

As for why B6s for me, I'm actually only at 14k miles on my 2019 and really just trying to tame some of the slop in the suspension that has been bugging me since I bought it. My OEM struts are just fine, but I would like a little more flatness in the handling and also hope to reduce what feels like an oversprung setup.

RabbitTwo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Honestly, I never have, and don’t know if it’s been inadvertently done by a dealer before as part of some ACC calibration etc.

Been on the springs for 90k miles
I would hazard a guess that it likely was not done unless they are really experienced with lowering DCC cars. If they use ODIS, it is as simple as putting the car in the air, going into the suspension module, and doing basic settings with the wheels hanging. When the car is put back on the ground, the DCC module zeros the new ride height so that compression / rebound is adapted. It makes a night and day difference, and will likely extend the life of your factory dampers. I had 160,000 kms on my factory dampers (60k+ lowered) and they were still working ok when I sold the car. For springs, I have a separate thread re: ‘H&R OE Sport w/ DCC’. Lots of info in there about the setup. Good luck!

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I would hazard a guess that it likely was not done unless they are really experienced with lowering DCC cars. If they use ODIS, it is as simple as putting the car in the air, going into the suspension module, and doing basic settings with the wheels hanging. When the car is put back on the ground, the DCC module zeros the new ride height so that compression / rebound is adapted. It makes a night and day difference, and will likely extend the life of your factory dampers. I had 160,000 kms on my factory dampers (60k+ lowered) and they were still working ok when I sold the car. For springs, I have a separate thread re: ‘H&R OE Sport w/ DCC’. Lots of info in there about the setup. Good luck!
Can you do this basic setting on VCDS?

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
@DSC Sport

any updates on the other Bilstein Offerings? your own, etc.?
Would like to know more too, as I stumbled upon this thread when doing some research on the DSC controller. Concerned specifically for the bilstein B6 damptronics. Currently sitting on VWR springs and B6 damptronics. Just purchased a DSC controller but have yet to install it. Hoping you the B6’s are not like the B16’s, which apparently have no active compression.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Would like to know more too, as I stumbled upon this thread when doing some research on the DSC controller. Concerned specifically for the bilstein B6 damptronics. Currently sitting on VWR springs and B6 damptronics. Just purchased a DSC controller but have yet to install it. Hoping you the B6’s are not like the B16’s, which apparently have no active compression.
I contacted Bilstein about the B6 Damptronic shocks. This is what I heard back from them:

When placed on our dynamometer we found changes to both compression and rebound values based on the signal from the controller. I am sorry but this is about as much detail as I can provide without getting into proprietary information. Thank you for your understanding.

Not exactly War and Peace, but enough to answer this question.

doctorGolfR

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK VII Golf R
I contacted Bilstein about the B6 Damptronic shocks. This is what I heard back from them:

When placed on our dynamometer we found changes to both compression and rebound values based on the signal from the controller. I am sorry but this is about as much detail as I can provide without getting into proprietary information. Thank you for your understanding.

Not exactly War and Peace, but enough to answer this question.
I wish @DSC Sport would test the B6 already! Haha