GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone fitted a highline reversing camera?

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I was quoted £604inc vat to for fitting the rear camera parts & Labour. VW Citygate West London. The part from the same dealer was £300.
I'd do it myself but I'm nervous about the codes etc. Easy but time consuming to fit to tailgate and bring through the vehicle.
Is it worth having the high line?

My VAG vendor takes 300€ for high line camera, parameterized with cable set.

Reactions: PJH

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Thanks, he's selling on eBay as well if you're interested.

I'm planning to install it when it arrives (~2 weeks). I will post a detailed tutorial with pictures as I haven't seen one for the MK7.

PJH

Car(s)
VW Golf R line 2018
That's great, I'll look forward to it.
Detail of connecting to the front electrics and any change of coding and exactly how to do the latter is the hardest part. Most I've seen assumes you have some sort of knowledge on changing codes is my problem. I think recommendations on diagnostic devices would be helpful also.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Retrofitting reversing camera is actually a fairly easy retrofit. I route the cabling through the headliner and connecting it to the MMI is super easy, as my vendor supplies extension cables instead of cutting factory cables.

Anfas

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8L
Hi! Yes, you're right if we are talking about lowline camera (not connected to CAN bus and hasn't its own control module). I've installed 5Q0980556B camera into flipping emblem instead of standard camera module w/o active lines. I bought it as new so it has no parameterization from factory and need to be parameterized. But now I'm interested as I wrote above should it pop out when reverse gear is switched at current state? Thanks!
UPDATE:
Straight after camera/emblem and wires connected the camera will not pop out w/o its coding. So after installation we have to parameterize it (if that wasn't done before) and then during coding of 6C module (RVC) we choose that camera is located inside the flipping emblem. For now the camera with active lines is working fine, but it still needs calibration. It's the next step to print the calibration layout and perform it as there is still error in 6C block about calibration absence.

Attachments

• IMG_3324.JPG
    IMG_3324.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 292

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
UPDATE:
Straight after camera/emblem and wires connected the camera will not pop out w/o its coding. So after installation we have to parameterize it (if that wasn't done before) and then during coding of 6C module (RVC) we choose that camera is located inside the flipping emblem. For now the camera with active lines is working fine, but it still needs calibration. It's the next step to print the calibration layout and perform it as there is still error in 6C block about calibration absence.
Good news!

As for calibration - I never done it in any of my retrofits and besides that error showing, I never had any issues.

Anfas

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8L
Good news!

As for calibration - I never done it in any of my retrofits and besides that error showing, I never had any issues.
Yes, you're absolutely right, calibration absence doesn't affect driving, but it's not difficult operation as I've read before and I'd like to try.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Yes, sure will collect all info together and post here later.

Thanks.

If you need, I got the required graphics that needs to be printed with exact measurements. PM me your email & I'll send it to you.

Matt.K

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R 2017 mk7.5
5GE827469 is a highline camera, but you do not connect it to a reverse light - instead, it should have a CAN HIGH and CAN LOW connection.

How many wires do you have? You should have five.

12v power, CAN HIGH and LOW, and the two video connectors that go into the blue connector.

Where did you buy this unit? Which installation guide are you following?

You do NOT activate it as a lowline camera in VCDS.

OK, newbie here, sorry to take it back so many steps.

I've installed a highline camera to my mk7.5 Golf R. I've attached all the connectors at the camera end no problem, the 2 video connectors in the blue connector, the CAN HIGH/LOW wires (allbeit in a different place according to the instructions I received) - but I do have a spare (yellow) cable in the tailgate which I was instructed to attach to the reverse light cable - if this is not correct or not needed - what do I do with it?

Thanks

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
OK, newbie here, sorry to take it back so many steps.

I've installed a highline camera to my mk7.5 Golf R. I've attached all the connectors at the camera end no problem, the 2 video connectors in the blue connector, the CAN HIGH/LOW wires (allbeit in a different place according to the instructions I received) - but I do have a spare (yellow) cable in the tailgate which I was instructed to attach to the reverse light cable - if this is not correct or not needed - what do I do with it?

Thanks

Searching online the part number, it seems it only has a video signal but no CAN communication, therefore the power is coming from red (+12v constant) and yellow (reverse light) for signal.

If you had CAN wires, you wouldn’t need reverse as the CAN would send the signal :).

Matt.K

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R 2017 mk7.5
Searching online the part number, it seems it only has a video signal but no CAN communication, therefore the power is coming from red (+12v constant) and yellow (reverse light) for signal.

If you had CAN wires, you wouldn’t need reverse as the CAN would send the signal :).

Thanks for that.

Defo got both (CAN and reverse), not got to the bottom of the coding yet, but by what you're saying - if I've got the CAN wires connected I don't need the reverse and the correct coding will enable it all to function?

Matt.K

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf R 2017 mk7.5
The instructions say

Red +12v
Brown - earth
Yellow - reverse
White and black - video? (blue connector)
Orange/violet and orange/brown - CAN.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201001-180123_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201001-180123_Drive.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 535