GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone expeirencing excessive oil consumption?

Internexus

Ready to race!
This just started at the 37k mark on my vehicle..

2 weeks ago driving down the highway and the low oil light pops on, pull the dipstick and it shows to be 1qt low (bottom of the crosshatch marks), I was anticipating my oil change at the 40k point so I added 3/4qt and continued on. I assumed the dealership maybe skimped during the oil change perhaps.

This last Thursday the light comes on once more on the highway (37,4xx miles), pull over and once again 1qt low. This time I throw an entire quart in and continue on my way. Performed a total of 4hrs round trip driving Saturday morning thru Sunday morning and checked the dipstick, shows 1/4qt low. Performed a 3hr drive yesterday evening and checked today I'm now 3/4qt low and am around 37,8xx miles so this stuff is clearly going somewhere.

Tonight I'll be pulling the large belly pan and seeing if there is any visible leaking but I've not had a single drop in the garage/driveway and I haven't noticed any plumes of smoke so something really fishy is going on here. Has anyone else been experiencing similar?

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
At the 43k mark on my 2016 GTI and unlike my 2006 MK5 GLI I was shocked at how little oil consumption is happening with the EA888 Gen3 2.0t motor.

I had the BPY EA113 2.0t in my 06 GLI and I had to do 5k oil changes with top offs because it was eating about 2qt every 5k.

Now with the EA888 Gen3 2.0t I really dont see any measurable oil loss between 10k oil changes. I check the dipstick and its been pretty much where it was when I filled it up.

Now one important thing to note is every engine is different and some do eat more oil than others, even of the same type. I guess mine is just sealed better than some others. I have heard of other EA888 Gen3's that eat as much as my old EA113. I guess its luck of the draw on if you get one that eats oil or not.

My EA113 was seeping oil through the piston seal, was easier/cheaper to just keep adding more oil.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Op, for a car at 43k to suddenly start burning that much oil you more than likely have a leak somewhere.

Internexus

Ready to race!
Update: Took off the pan underneath and the inspection cover on the top of the motor, was unable to find ANY leakage at all. Went ahead and changed the oil as I was close enough to the service interval and had it all apart so I'll keep a close eye on it and report back if/when the light goes off again or I check the oil level and notice a moderate drop.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Update: Took off the pan underneath and the inspection cover on the top of the motor, was unable to find ANY leakage at all. Went ahead and changed the oil as I was close enough to the service interval and had it all apart so I'll keep a close eye on it and report back if/when the light goes off again or I check the oil level and notice a moderate drop.

Try a UV dye kit

Internexus

Ready to race!
I may end up down that road.. I would believe there to be a rather apparent oil stream somewhere in the engine bay to account for more than 2qts worth of oil in the span of the last 1,000 miles that a UV kit wouldn't be necessary but clearly not.

However on the flip side I had a buddy drive the car and there wasn't any blue smoke noted upon general cruising or WOT conditions. However, my exhaust tips are very much covered in soot.

Internexus

Ready to race!
Did you test for leaking valve seals? Did you pull the plugs to check for oil fouling.

Nope, the vehicle should be covered for "internally lubricated" items under the powertrain warranty so my goal with this was to insure that there weren't any apparent leaks. If this continues the way it's going then I'll be dropping it off at the dealership very soon.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Exterior leaks would be covered as well... VW in San Jose just replaced my oil pan, and gasket and I'm not even sure it was really leaking.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
More soot than normal or an oily residue on exhaust tips?

Internexus

Ready to race!
More soot than normal or an oily residue on exhaust tips?

That's a good question, visually to me it's thick/excessive but it's hard to know what to expect with a new generation motor and all. I'll reach a finger in and see if there is an apparent residue.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Nope, uses narya drop. If VW won'r t 'play ball', toy coud alwasys try the Redxe (think US equiveleent is prob STP) engein treatment. You remove spark plugs, squirta few driops of 'whatever' turn engine over slightly, squirta few more drosp, then retire indoors for a hot or cold drink, about 30 mins or so. Then place a cloth of spark plug holes (for there will be mess !) place something hevayish on the cloth and turn engeina a few times. Exercess product + carbon and other gunge shoud appear on the cloth, and not sparyed round engin bay. Then replace plugs, engine may smoke a littlr, and check oil cunsumption after wards. Worked a treat for me on a previous car saved a top end strip dowm. Gotta be worth a try for around £10 / $15 or so, hmmm?...

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Nope, uses nary a drop. If VW won't 'play ball', you could always try the Reddex (think US equivalent is prob STP) 'engine treatment'.

You remove spark plugs, squirt in a few drops of 'whatever' down the holes, turn engine over slightly, squirt a few more drops, then retire indoors for a hot or cold drink, about 30 mins or so. Then place a cloth of spark plug holes (for there will be mess !) place something heavyish onto the cloth and turn engine over a few times. Excess product + carbon and other gunge shoud appear on the cloth, and not sparyed round engine bay. Then replace plugs, engine may smoke a little aferwards, and check oil consumption after wards. Worked a treat for me on a previous car saved a top end strip dowm. Gotta be worth a try for around £10 / $15 or so, hmmm?...