GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone expeirencing excessive oil consumption?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you think a little over half a quart over 1000 is bad...my buddy's wrangler just seized it's engine, as it ran out of oil. Apparently the 4.0's oil consumption spec is 1 quart of oil every 750 miles. Shame on him for not checking periodically, but apparently there were no warning signs either.

LOL, I had a new 1974 Madza RX-3 rotary. It was equipped with the new, improved rotor seals. Burned a quart every 400 miles. Can't imagine what the motor with the old seals got.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
LOL, I had a new 1974 Madza RX-3 rotary. It was equipped with the new, improved rotor seals. Burned a quart every 400 miles. Can't imagine what the motor with the old seals got.

I had a built motor that would drink a quart every 600 miles, but that was intentionally built loose for boost.

DejaEntendu

Ready to race!
If you look in the manual it has a absurd amount for "normal consumption" I had this issue with my mkvi GTI, went through ~1.5 quarts per 5k oil change. VW said it was normal. Not something I
expected since I had owned it since new.

Edit:

From the 2016 GTI Manual
"A maximum of 1 quart per
1200 miles (1 liter per 2000 km) would be considered normal. New
vehicles may consume more oil over the first 3000 miles (5000 km)."

This to me should not be normal but I'm no mechanic.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Oh no they definitely quoted what it would cost for parts and labor as the vehicle is out of the bumper to bumper warranty and this is considered normal oil consumption..

It's part of the drivetrain so it should be covered under the 5yr/60K warranty. Unless somehow they are trying to convince it's not part of the engine or emissions system. Emission components have a longer warranty, IIRC. VWoA tried to tell me the throttle body wiring harness was not part of the drivetrain on my MK5. I convinced them otherwise.

Internexus

Ready to race!
The way VW explained the drivetrain warranty is that it entails only items that are internally lubricated. So for example if my vehicle had faulty piston rings that were causing my oil consumption that would be covered. However, if the oil pan had a leak that would NOT be covered. Frankly I think their silly rules are just that... silly. And I definitely feel I should be taken care of on this, but I'll certainly reach out to the VW corporate rep I've been working with to see what they are able to do for me.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
They did take care of repairing the wiring harness on my MK5 TSi. I spent a lot of time talking with them, explaining why I felt it should be covered and documented cases on the forums. There was a service bulletin issued for a repair to lengthen the wiring harness to the throttle body. In the TSB it stated it was too short from the factory. Sort of a 1/2 admission of guilt.

The engine rocking over time caused the wiring to separate in the wiring harness. Their solution was to cut the connector off and individually lengthen each wire in the harness and then re-pin the connector. Tedious and expensive. I am the 2nd owner of the MK5 and I was 750 miles out on the 5/60 drivetrain warranty. They covered it in full. I had it to the dealer 5 times before they suggested that fix. It was annoying since it was random. Normally an $800 repair because of the labor involved.

Under the definition they gave you, it shouldn't have been covered, but it was.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
If you look in the manual it has a absurd amount for "normal consumption" I had this issue with my mkvi GTI, went through ~1.5 quarts per 5k oil change. VW said it was normal. Not something I
expected since I had owned it since new.

Edit:

From the 2016 GTI Manual
"A maximum of 1 quart per
1200 miles (1 liter per 2000 km) would be considered normal. New
vehicles may consume more oil over the first 3000 miles (5000 km)."

This to me should not be normal but I'm no mechanic.

This is what pisses me off about corporations.
They KNOW that their cars really shouldn't consume oil (let's just say I am referring to VW) as is proven by the fact that the vast majority of people see 0% consumption even at extended intervals. I just did an 8300 mile oil change on my 14.6K GTI, and it used basically 0 oil. But some GTIs are allowed 1qt per 1200? that would be like 7qt over the course of my last oil change. How can such drastic tolerances be written off like that? (rhetorical question)

Internexus

Ready to race!
I replaced the PCV contraption in Februrary in hopes of remedying my oil consumption. After giving the vehicle some time and miles I checked the oil the other day and I am down 3/4 of a court so the PCV valve definitely did not remedy my oil consumption issue.

This leaves me with likely needing to take the vehicle to the dealership for a leak down test which I have no interest in as I don't want to pay for something I feel should be covered under the Powertrain Warranty. If and that's a big IF the issue turns out to be related to something that can be covered under the warranty then I would be reimbursed the amount. Any other ideas?? I think my biggest concern is they are going to tell me it's the rear main seal or something and of course that wont be covered by the warranty. Frankly if that ends up being the case the cars gone and VW can kiss my ass, I'm rather upset that this is my 3rd one in a row and VW corporate has been nothing but a pain to try and get to help me with the plague of issues I've experienced.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I replaced the PCV contraption in Februrary in hopes of remedying my oil consumption. After giving the vehicle some time and miles I checked the oil the other day and I am down 3/4 of a court so the PCV valve definitely did not remedy my oil consumption issue.

This leaves me with likely needing to take the vehicle to the dealership for a leak down test which I have no interest in as I don't want to pay for something I feel should be covered under the Powertrain Warranty. If and that's a big IF the issue turns out to be related to something that can be covered under the warranty then I would be reimbursed the amount. Any other ideas?? I think my biggest concern is they are going to tell me it's the rear main seal or something and of course that wont be covered by the warranty. Frankly if that ends up being the case the cars gone and VW can kiss my ass, I'm rather upset that this is my 3rd one in a row and VW corporate has been nothing but a pain to try and get to help me with the plague of issues I've experienced.

So the dealer checked the entire engine for external leaks? Major consumption like that would definately show in telltale residue/trails from leaky component (ie; rear main seal etc.) Had a CCTA that started a sudden loss and after a complete re-seal, turned out to be the o-rings for the oil cooler lines at the housing. But it did show as oil pooling in the splashpan and on the garage floor. If nothing visible, it's going to be internal most likely. Have them do an efficiency/function test on the catalyst (simple emissions test could work) as this much oil entering the exhaust stream could be causing cat issues. Also pull the pre and post oxygen sensors to check for oil residue.

Internexus

Ready to race!
So the dealer checked the entire engine for external leaks? Major consumption like that would definately show in telltale residue/trails from leaky component (ie; rear main seal etc.) Had a CCTA that started a sudden loss and after a complete re-seal, turned out to be the o-rings for the oil cooler lines at the housing. But it did show as oil pooling in the splashpan and on the garage floor. If nothing visible, it's going to be internal most likely. Have them do an efficiency/function test on the catalyst (simple emissions test could work) as this much oil entering the exhaust stream could be causing cat issues. Also pull the pre and post oxygen sensors to check for oil residue.

The dealer has not examined anything, they've performed an oil consumption test and that is it. I've performed a visual inspection from the top end with cover off, as well as from the bottom end also cover off. There are zero leaks into any of the pans, nothing on the garage floor, nothing apparent from exhaust at idle, under normal driving or hard acceleration.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
The dealer has not examined anything, they've performed an oil consumption test and that is it. I've performed a visual inspection from the top end with cover off, as well as from the bottom end also cover off. There are zero leaks into any of the pans, nothing on the garage floor, nothing apparent from exhaust at idle, under normal driving or hard acceleration.

From this it sounds internal obviously. Could be a stuck ring. Have you pulled the plugs to check for oil fouling? Does the oil smell like gas on the dipstick? If your handy, check intercooler pipes for oil and the mentioned O2 sensors along with the plugs. If all negative, go for the leakdown.

Dumb question, what oil are you using and is it different than before consumption issue started?

Internexus

Ready to race!
I've not smelled the oil up close but haven't noticed any fuel odors either from checking it as much as I have been lately. I have not pulled any plugs at this point as I don't have my tool set where I live now so I'm a bit limited but definitely agree that between intercooler pipes, plugs, a compression test, and o2 sensor observation something has to be showing... I'm definitely tech savvy and have zero issues turning wrenches but don't have the ability to where I'm located presently.

I've been using primarily the recommended Castrol VW spec'd oil and sometimes I've used the Mobil 1 version.