GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else struggle to find a comfortable driving position?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I wish the MK7s came with a feature where it saves your seat position. Instead of having to constantly do it. Im 6ft and lay pretty far back where nobody could sit behind me. Otherwise, I drive pretty comfortable compared to a corrola I had. The only thing that is uncomfortable is when your trying to layback on the seat. Your back gets into a crazy arch the further the back rest goes.

I wish it had a memory seat also. Anytime someone else drives it drives me crazy getting back where I like it.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Haven't moved my seat since the night I picked her up. Don't even know how and too lazy to find out.

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
took me a bit to find my sweet spot....

118201945_10158806729343035_4576628303478970558_o.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I found it pretty easy to get comfortable, but the bottom seat cushion isn't comfort for more than 3 hours. I think it's a German thing though, because my wife's GLC300 was the same way. Her new Outback Limited's seats are the most comfortable things I've ever sat in, but can't find a good seating position to save my life. Lol. It's always something.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
The GTI seat is bad in one way.
After sitting in a seat with high thigh and back seat side bolsters all other seats feel wimpy.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
No probs getting comfy in Golfs for me, though I find the 'lumbar support' on higher spec cars when adjusted / used (turned outwards a bit) actually digs into my lower back. Not much support there for me then....

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Having just bought a MK7 R (electric adjustment leather seats) to replace my soon-to-be-sold MK7 GTI (manual adjustment cloth seats), I was able to go in and out of each car to compare seats.

I used a bubble level app on my phone and recorded the angles of my seat bottom and seat back a long time ago. It was my way of retaining seat settings in case the driver seat was moved. I tried the same angles on the R seats, and it hasn't been comfortable for my back. My leg also felt closer to the dead pedal, even if the seat distance was the same as in the GTI.

After measuring more angles at different parts of the seats in the GTI and R, I found that the lumbar support in the R juts out much more in its lowest setting than the GTI's past the midpoint of the lumbar adjustment lever. That's pushing me to sit more towards the front of the seat while also over-arching my back above the lumbar area.

Don't know if this has more to do with leather vs cloth or electric vs manual adjustment (I think it might be the latter with electric lumbar adjustments), but I was surprised about the difference. Getting closer to finding a new ideal seat adjustment with the R after a few days now, though.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
Same issue, but I have Base GSW seats. I feel I the wheel doesn't come out far enough and I have to sit too close to where my knee hits the key in the ignition or is pressed up against the center console. Still attempting to find a better driving setup for the seats. Suppose I'll have to get Kessy going forward :unsure:

I figured a German car would be more comfortable for taller people, maybe I'm just missing something with the adjustments.
I bought a stick on pad for my GTI and the knee problem, $30 and it works perfectly, even has red stitching

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I got about 90% of the way on day one. And in about two weeks got to 100%

I have an autobahn. And the lower back support is great. The car is very kind. Especially in comfort mode

Zaptrax

It's likely just me, maybe I'm crazy, but for the life of me I cannot get comfortable driving this car and it's killing the driving enjoyment.

I've owned my Mk7.5 for 9 months now and every day I constantly feel the need to adjust the seat and steering wheel position. Even when I get it feeling decent for a drive, the next time I get in the car, it feels wrong so I'm readjusting again. I drove a Mk6 for 8 years prior to this and never had this issue and the difference between the two isn't that great so I don't know why I'm having so many issues this time around.

Anyone else struggle with this? I wouldn't be shocked if it was just me though.
I'm coming from a 2018 Audi A5 Sportback with sport seats and just took delivery of a 2021 GTI SE. I've yet to find a comfortable position in the GTI. I like the aggressive lateral support but the seat bottom and seat back are very hard and the lumbar adjuster is not very useful. I've owned a lot of German cars (Audis, MBs, BMWs) and the GTI seats are by far the worst. Do the 2021 GTI Autobahns have different seats? When I was shopping online the features listed on the VW (USA) website showed the only difference between SE and Autobahn as DCC suspension, Fender audio, and summer tires. I might have paid the extra $$ for the Autobahn if I knew it had better seats.

kilby1

I'm coming from a 2018 Audi A5 Sportback with sport seats and just took delivery of a 2021 GTI SE. I've yet to find a comfortable position in the GTI. I like the aggressive lateral support but the seat bottom and seat back are very hard and the lumbar adjuster is not very useful. I've owned a lot of German cars (Audis, MBs, BMWs) and the GTI seats are by far the worst. Do the 2021 GTI Autobahns have different seats? When I was shopping online the features listed on the VW (USA) website showed the only difference between SE and Autobahn as DCC suspension, Fender audio, and summer tires. I might have paid the extra $$ for the Autobahn if I knew it had better seats.
I find the seats OK as long as I am not wearing a jacket as it kicks you out of the bolstered area a bit, my big problem was my knee on the hard centre stack which I fixed with a $30 stick on pad (mentioned earlier) makes my 2016 Base a LOT nicer to drive. I had a "Rabbit" loaner last year and found the cloth seats lacked the support of my 2016. If the Mk8's dashboard and steering wheel controls aren't as bad as it looks like they may be I am curious about the new 1 piece seats and their comfort. VW has been cutting a lot of corners to keep their profit up so not optimistic about anything new from them

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Same seats. And I agree with your assessment. So much so I went to a GLI Autobahn. Obviously less bolstering but seats, for me, are night and day better.