GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Done A TSI Auto Transmission Fluid Change (40K mile)?

Scottie-GNZ

Has anyone done the 40K mile transmission fluid service on a TSI automatic transmission themselves and willing to give some details on the task? Dealer wants $389 just for that + $199 for the 40K oil and filter(s) service.

TIA

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Yeah, it ain't fun. I looked into it and you will need to have the car up on a true lift since you have to run through gears to help fluid come out of the fill hole. I would take it to a specialty shop, as they will charge less.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
40k interval is for DSG. I thought auto had 50k interval. The service isn't hard but requires VCDS or other tool to read the fluid temperature for correct level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Checked my warranty manual
DSG: change fluid and filter at 40k, 80k, and 120k
Non DSG Auto: Change fluid (no mention of filter) at 80k

What you describe as a process sounds similar to BMW, with no option to fill through a dipstick hole. For BMW:

Raise and level car.
Open drain plug and drain fluid, replace drain plug
Open fill plug and add fluid until it spills out of fill plug
Start engine, wait until fluid reaches op temp
Shift through P R N D slowly with engine still running and foot on the brake
Add more fluid until overflow out fill plug, replace fill plug

Again, this is BMW, there could be a similar but different procedure for VW.

I've done it on 4 jack stands (shops charged an arm and a leg) but it takes some planning, can get messy, and there is risk if you miss a step. Probably not for oil change only diy'ers

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
The standard TSI tiptronic trans is a 50k service. the dsg is 40k. i had it done before the winter when I hit 50k

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
The standard TSI tiptronic trans is a 50k service. the dsg is 40k. i had it done before the winter when I hit 50k
I guess they gave you a different book [emoji57]

My book has no trans service at 50k

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Idk if it makes a difference, but mine is a 2015. I am going to take a look at my book though...

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I dunno. Diy in your link, guy removes the pan and filter which is even more involved.

epibone

2015 says 50k.
I wonder what the difference is between the 2015 and 2016 tranny...
Would be nice if I can wait til 80k

I think I read somewhere that VW used to not recommend changing the tranny oil at all.

Last edited:

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
has anyone here actually changed their ATF (non DSG)?

please let me know your experience thanks!

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
has anyone here actually changed their ATF (non DSG)?

please let me know your experience thanks!
Crazy thread revival.. but:

Had mine done with a filter change and pan swap (dented the original one) at 40k (Dealer informed me the 09G/AQ250 torque converter trans is recommended 80k), due to a faulty trans fluid temp sensor. Since the sensor is internal, they have to drop the pan to replace it so they do the service as part of the job. No issues after and shifting is smoother, though the temp sensor check was done due to a non-warranty issue where the higher reading requires more throttle input - paraphrasing here I'd have to dig up the paperwork to get the details. So if the new fluid or the new sensor made the difference I can't say, but things are happy.

Work was done at a dealership and covered under 3rd party warranty luckily in my case.