GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Done A TSI Auto Transmission Fluid Change (40K mile)?

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
Crazy thread revival.. but:

Had mine done with a filter change and pan swap (dented the original one) at 40k (Dealer informed me the 09G/AQ250 torque converter trans is recommended 80k), due to a faulty trans fluid temp sensor. Since the sensor is internal, they have to drop the pan to replace it so they do the service as part of the job. No issues after and shifting is smoother, though the temp sensor check was done due to a non-warranty issue where the higher reading requires more throttle input - paraphrasing here I'd have to dig up the paperwork to get the details. So if the new fluid or the new sensor made the difference I can't say, but things are happy.

Work was done at a dealership and covered under 3rd party warranty luckily in my case.
ya sorry. Im probably just ganna drain (no pan drop or filter change) the fluid, around ~3 liters or so, and pump it back in. Install a new washer for main drain plug. repeat the steps before winter hits so "flush" it out a bit more

Thanks for the reply!

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
Update:

Background:

No filter change, no ATF pan drop, only drain + refill

I do have my own driveway, gratefully!

some medical supplies used as connectors, due to do family members' life conditions. Got the rest from local Canadain Tire (Auto Zone? in the USA)

1st initial drain:

So I have had my car on ramps (8" high, soon ill get low profile 7") and had about 1.8-1.9 liters (warm fluid)

I used Liqui Moly ATF 1800 and pump back in about 2 liters as I did not have proper tubing or setup.

I pumped in more to compensate for what's inside the 1/2" tube....that i had

Results: the car ran so much better it feels like new! better than new but that was 4.5 years ago lol

2nd drain:

Have proper tube sizing that fits the 09G adaptor and got a medical drain valve allowing on/off.

Got a brass connector that connects 2 rubber/plastic tubes together

Did not run my car, just moved it out to the driveway onto the ramps (8" high)

it drains out about 1.5 litres of fluid BUT this time I see some of that metal powder, most likely caught by the two magnets (youtube videos will show you)

I won't warm my car up if i can from now as all of the heavy stuff is at the bottom of the pan instead of the transmission

Results:
  1. My car runs better than new !
  2. No longer have any jerks at low speed (10-30km, gear 2-3 ish), but you can still feel the shifting (not DSG after all)
  3. When I push on the gas pedal from a standstill, it feels amazing and the car just goes without lag on the transmission side!
  4. I believe in Liqui Moly!
Planning to do a 3rd and probably 4th drain/ATF change. Then ill wait every 5000 miles (80,000km)

Questions? just DM (i get emails) me ill give u shit ton of details, ill also be watching the thread

- Giving back to this amazing fourm!

Last edited:

Cssoz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf 7, 2017 1.8T
No VCDS to check oil temp?
I use one of those guns (covid made it popular) to check surface temp. lol

but like I said I don't drop the pan or filter, and I forgot to mention that I do not follow the leveling - drain plug. I just put back what came out.

I also spend 12-20 seconds in each gear twice. before taking the car off the ramp. courtesy of YouTube videos