GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody else use a Snow VC50 in the vent pod?

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Snow VC50 (meth controller) in the vent pod - don't do it if you use the heater

So I finally replaced my Nason boost switch with a progressive controller.

I've run a few DO kits in the past and decided to try Snow this time.

For me, even at a $100 premium, replacing the boost gauge with a gauge and controller combo was the way to go.

Also, my nason switch stuck open a few times on me. Cold weather or whatever, but I am not confident in that method any more, and won't do ti or recommend it again.

So anyway, I installed the VC50 in my newsouth vent gauge pod. Replaced my newsouth boost gauge.

All was well and good. Super easy setup. Wired right in. Added a relay as it has one switched power in and supplies the pump, directly, with the 12v. In my case, it's also giving 12v to a solenoid on the same output. I wanted good current, so I added a relay for the input, with direct power coming in and a switched input from the fusebox.

So, yeah, it's like 30f here. I have the heat on all the time. I drive to work and the commute is about a half hour to 45 mins. After using the new controller for 20 mins or so, it freezes. Not spraying, just frozen on the boost reading. In the first instance, 1psi. Park, let it cool off (went to work). got back in at 30f or so, and it started right up.

Next trip, heading home. Worked great for like 20 mins. Then it froze again. Buttons were unresponsive. Parked the car and tried a restart. The snow splash screen came up (red streaks on the screen as it should) then it froze there. Didn't make it to the gauge and buttons unresponsive again.

I sent the controller back to Snow this week, waiting on a response after they check it out. I bench tested it at my house, with a regulated power supply, for a few hours. Time won't do it. I am pretty sure the heat in the vent (no idea, what is it in there, like 90f?) caused come component to overheat.

In my googling of every related issue, I saw one single review, I think on Amazon, stating if it was 90f or more inside the car they also had errors or other issues. Not sure if it could be related.

So yeah, whaddaya all think?

I really like the form factor and the gauge and controller being combined. Maybe a pod in the defroster? There is the aeroforce and the CJM industries 3d printed).

I'm kinda leaning towards a new pod. Maybe just keep the vent turned off on that side?

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Reached out to CMJ and he has another customer confirming the controller fits his pod

I think, depending on what Snow says (problem or not) I may just mount outside the vent.

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Talked to Snow via email. Apparently the heat form the vent is sufficient to throw the controller out of whack.

They are sending me a new controller, but recommended to keep it out of the heat. They tested the one I sent back, with a heat gun, and replicated my issue.

So , external pod, or (i'll see) shutting the flapper on the drivers' side vent with the meth controller in the winter. Gonna throw a layer of dei gold on it as well.

Might be a total pain, and if that's the case, i'll grab the 3d printed (defrost vent) pod.

I'll report back, just wanted y'all to know what was up if you clicked search.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
This is my cmgs

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Which pod did you go with? I saw that there's aeroforce for $150 then the cmj is like $50.

Of course the vents look nicer in the aeroforce, but not sure it's worth an extra hundred.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Which pod did you go with? I saw that there's aeroforce for $150 then the cmj is like $50.

Of course the vents look nicer in the aeroforce, but not sure it's worth an extra hundred.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I believe it was the aeroforce, my wife bought it 2 years ago

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk