GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody else have their fans never run after shutdown?

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Hey all,

This may be completely normal for our cars, so I'm just doing a status check, for my own sanity.

All the cars I've owned before this mk7 gti have had some situations where the radiator fan runs after shutdown. For a few seconds to a minute or more. My 2014 tiguan runs for like 2 mins, on an 80f day, after gently driving. My 2007 gti did it, sometimes, after similar situations, although not nearly as long as the tiggy.

This car, never, ever, runs the fans after I shut it off. It's been in 100f weather, running AC and turned off.

Not once have I ever heard the radiator fan running, to cool down after the car is off.

Now, I have been on Eurodyne stage 2HT, since 500 miles or so. It was colder out when I drove the car prior to tuning, so I can't compare.

So, what's yours do? Do you ever get a cool-down fan run after the key is out? If so, are you stock or tuned, and 2015 or 2016?

Preemptive thanks for what I hope to be affirmation.

Diesel5000

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never noticed mine running either. Sometimes I can hear a slight buzzing or humming sound but it's not the fan.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya mine never runs. About 2 weeks ago my neighbor came home and her RX8 had the fan running for like 2 minutes and I teased her and told her is was going to blow up because she was worried she broke the car :D then I told her it was normal and 5 seconds later it was off

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Side Note: Mazda fan controllers have a habit of going bad, and running all the time to the extent that the battery drains.

Source: I owned three mazdas.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Mine has ran for nearly 10-20 seconds after shut down. It's done it maybe 2 or 3 times for the last 17,000 miles, but never again after that.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Mine has ran for nearly 10-20 seconds after shut down. It's done it maybe 2 or 3 times for the last 17,000 miles, but never again after that.

It never came on on my car and I've done 66.000Km. But then again, I switch it off when the fan switches off (and our cars run with high coolant temperature).
I use an old Scangauge and the fan switches on when the coolant temperature is 108-109°C. It switches off when it reaches 106°C and, after a couple of seconds circulating the coolant, the lowest temperature is 105°C. This is the point when I switch off the car.
That wasn't the case with mk6. After a trip in modest weather, my brother's mk6 will engage the fan when he shuts down the car.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I really think that any fans running is going to have negligible effect vs the auxiliary coolant pump actually cycling coolant through the turbo. (buzzing sound when car is turned off). Prior to actually having a pump, coolant would only flow slowly via Thermosiphon.

focalBlur

Passed Driver's Ed
In the 10 years I had my MK5 Jetta the fan came on less then 15 times and generally it was on cooler but very humid days. 100+ temps it never came on.

Seems normal to me and so far I have yet to hear the fan on my MK7 GTI. I do however frequently hear a fan running behind the MIB II system, I assume its a cooling fan for the electronics.