GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Update on the Replacement for 3g Car-net

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Just curious what happened to this. Was supposed to be released in the fall 2022 according to this post from Vw. Is not almost spring of 2023 and still not announced. Car net update

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Based on the fact that you have a Spektrum R, I'm guessing that you have OCD anxiety over a feature set not being available, effectively rendering the car as no longer being "complete"

I could be wrong.

Just use the crash detection on the iPhone. It saved my buddies' life... well it was his brother in law. Either way, he was in a horrific accident and his phone was setup to send emergency alerts to specific contacts in his phone along with calling 911. He was hurt so bad that his entire family would have had no idea that he was in an accident had it not been for the alert.

If you don't have an iPhone, then you can wait another aeon for VW for fix Carnet :)

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Based on the fact that you have a Spektrum R, I'm guessing that you have OCD anxiety over a feature set not being available, effectively rendering the car as no longer being "complete"

I could be wrong.

Just use the crash detection on the iPhone. It saved my buddies' life... well it was his brother in law. Either way, he was in a horrific accident and his phone was setup to send emergency alerts to specific contacts in his phone along with calling 911. He was hurt so bad that his entire family would have had no idea that he was in an accident had it not been for the alert.

If you don't have an iPhone, then you can wait another aeon for VW for fix Carnet :)
No. Like to make sure that the dealer isn’t joy riding it plus on my 21 autobahn I used some of the other features in it as well. Plus I would use the hotspot for my radar detector instead of my phone’s. Plus I had it on a different network in the off chance it would have a signal if needed when my iPhone didn’t.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The 3G Car-Net isn't so much the problem; the elimination of 3G service by cellular providers is. While 4G is backwards compatible, meaning that 3G service could operate through 4G towers (as it once did), virtually every carrier has decided to stop offering that service, as they can charge higher rates for 4G service. Soon, that will be happening with 4G service as well, to further the migration to more lucrative 5G service. So, in order to get your old 3G Car-Net to tap into the broader telecommunications network, it would need to be upgraded with a 4G transmitter/receiver--not cheap or easy to do. The only realistic option would be to install a piggy-back 4G unit to one's existing system; but even then, Car-Net would need to be willing to service you. Just learn to live without it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
The 3G Car-Net isn't so much the problem; the elimination of 3G service by cellular providers is. While 4G is backwards compatible, meaning that 3G service could operate through 4G towers (as it once did), virtually every carrier has decided to stop offering that service, as they can charge higher rates for 4G service. Soon, that will be happening with 4G service as well, to further the migration to more lucrative 5G service. So, in order to get your old 3G Car-Net to tap into the broader telecommunications network, it would need to be upgraded with a 4G transmitter/receiver--not cheap or easy to do. The only realistic option would be to install a piggy-back 4G unit to one's existing system; but even then, Car-Net would need to be willing to service you. Just learn to live without it.
For our audi we got a service notice and it's serviced like any other tsb. Minor software update.

For our vw, I got a notice saying it would be disconnected and if I come in they'll order and then replace the antenna unit. Supposedly the vw doesn't have the 4g antenna range at all and there's a physical part they need. I don't use these things so I've never pursued it, but I know for a fact my vw is totally disconnected right now, while the audi is not...

Sounds like continuing supply shortage might be affecting you/your area??

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I thought about subscribing years ago. I suggest you call them if/when it's available again. In my opinion, you should call them and ask one question: "If I'm feeling sick and pull off the highway into a parking lot, push the SOS button, then pass out before you respond, what do you do?" Let me know what they tell you.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
FWIW the website still says "early 2023". Now that we're in July I think it's pretty safe to say that timeframe has come and gone.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm doubting they will upgrade our VWs for free. And does Android have a crash feature similar to the iPhone? Or is there an app?

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Got a couple letters about it, but no dates. Dealer doesn't know when the part will arrive. No big deal, since I'm not subscribing to Car Net anyways.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
VW will "make available" retrofit a 4g antenna module, about the time 4g sunsets. What feature of car-net are we concerned about preserving, beyond parenting/monitoring a teenage driver?

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
VW will "make available" retrofit a 4g antenna module, about the time 4g sunsets. What feature of car-net are we concerned about preserving, beyond parenting/monitoring a teenage driver?
Parenting the dealer and also it can be used for theft locating and recovery.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Wouldn't take it to a shop I didn't trust or felt like I had to parent, and garage it at night. 🤷‍♂️

It's not a charger/challenger, do you believe the theft potential is that high for this particular car in your area?

Last edited: