GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any road bikers here?

jnj2455

Ready to race!
In lieu of mourning over my now past relationship, one of the things I've always wanted to do was pick up road biking after college. I think it would a great exercise thing and the places I could see could be a fun thing.

I was wondering if people could suggest any good novice bikes for me, like good brands to look for- No more than $500.00. I don't need it to have super fancy things but I don't want a Walmart quality bike either.

This could also give me the opportunity to put a bike rack on my roof- which I think adds to the look of the car :D

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
"Novara" is the REI house brand and "Scattante" is the Performance Bike house brand, both offer a good bang for your buck when buying new.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Funny I was just thinking of picking up this hobby as well...
I am leaning towards a hybrid bike.... Not sure how much it will be worth it cuz i can only imagine hitting the casual trail once and a while... Difinetly using it more for road maybe 90% road use and 10% trialing.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_535083_-1___202339

This is what I've got...had a similar shoestring budget to yours. Waited for it to go on sale and got a decent price...For the gruppo and other equipment its hard to get better than that at the price range for new bikes. I wouldn't mind a better bike but until I'm ready to drop well into the 4 figures, this one is doing just fine. I've logged probably 3500 miles in the last 2 years on it. The other rebranded store bikes are decent as well--the other option is to go used, which is often also a great option as long as you don't mind a bit of wear and tear on it before you. Hop on a few at your local bike shop and figure out all the frame measurements that you find comfortable then cross shop in those dimensions.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Personally, single track dirt mountain biking is far far FAR more fun than riding on the road. Your out in nature, it's more stimulating, it's less repeatative, it's more effort per mile, ect.

I had a nice carbon road bike and sold it to pick up a cyclocross bike. It's similar to a road bike but with a litter bit bigger tires and brakes, you have some tread on the tires, you can ride it on gravel and dirt paths, they usually have mounting points for fenders and racks if you want to commute with it. I'm going to be usin my cyclocross bike for a half Ironman next year (triathlon w/ 1.2 miles swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run) but I also use it for my 26ish mile round trip to work and back on a regular basis.

Mountain Bike > Cyclocross Bike > Road Bike

That's my opinion of course, ride bike it to limited to just smooth flat pavement, I wouldn't recommend one over a cyclocross bike unless your looking to get serious about road racing.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
"Novara" is the REI house brand and "Scattante" is the Performance Bike house brand, both offer a good bang for your buck when buying new.

He's right. Those are both decent, good priced bikes. Be advised that the phrase you get what you pay for definitely applies to road bikes. Weight is the enemy and components are a big deal. For your price point, I would buy a used bike, especially if you are serious about it. When I started years ago I tried to be cheap about it, and ended up wasting f money on a cheap bike that was heavy and not very good only to turn around and buy a better bike. For about 800 or so you can get a scattante or Novara that has decent components despite the lack of a name brand. The secret isthat both those brands are made by name brand companies, use the same higher end components but are cheaper only by name. Win-win for the budget conscious.

Also keep in mind all the extra equipment you will need. Sexy cycling gear, clip in pedals and shoes, trip computer, extra tubes, pumps, etc. It is an expensive hobby, but we'll worth it! Kinda like the GTI!

Good luck!

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Plus one on getting the best bike you can afford. Around a 1000 is what I would plan on spending. I used to ride a lot, for triathlons, and when your out 20 miles from home last thing you want is to break something. Get a good bike that fits you... Used is good if you get the size and geometry that you want. Fit is extremely important. Good points on budgeting for accessories, you'll need a helmet, shoes pedals, pump, camelback, clothes, seat post mounted tool kit, gloves (help a lot to minimize road vibration into you hands and arms. Most important thing is to be comfortable and efficient on your bike and the enjoyment will be there. Uncomfortable and fighting your equipment will mean you'll cycle less or not at all. If you get into cycling at all it, you will feel the urge to mountain bike as well, so a second bike will be in your future. Both are fun but different.

MMM.PWR

Ready to race!
Another great forum: bikeforums.net, head over to the 41 (road cycling) section and ask the question there. I have a Tarmac, but my friends just picked up some nice Jamis hybrids for ~$450, not bad at all.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
The components will be relatively nicer on Scattante/Novara/Motobecane/random no name internet brand than on a name brand bike of equivalent price. This is true for both mountain and road bikes.

For under about $1500 for aluminum-framed bikes (new) and more than that for carbon bikes, most frames are made in the same couple factories in southeast Asia. With a few notable exceptions (I think Giant and Scott?), it's not that a big-name manufacturer makes discount frames for REI, it's that the same sub-contractor makes frames for REI and some big-name companies.

A good local bike shop will tell you everything you need to know to make a good decision. If you choose to buy through them, they'll be more expensive, but if you get into riding a lot, it's a great relationship to have.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2011 CW GTI Autobahn
I have a Scattante brand road bike myself, and encouraged another friend to buy one herself. Like other people here have stated, you'll get nicer components on these brands of bikes compared to other "brand name" bikes out there. To me, it was a no brainer to go with the Scattante when looking at the other brands (Fuji, GT, Felt, etc.). My bike has a full Shimano 105 drivetrain and shifters (mid-level components), aluminum frame, FSA crankset (mid-level), and carbon fork. Paid $900 out the door, PLUS 10% store credit back ($90) to buy other gear that I needed. All the other "name brand" bikes with the same components were easily in the $1300 range.

Honestly, if you are looking for a brand new bike in the $500 range, you're going to end up with something that has bottom-of-the-barrel components (Shimano Sora or equivalent) and a heavier bike. Pretty much a bike that is less likely to keep you in the sport. If I were you, I'd rather get something mid-level. A bike that you look forward to getting on and keeping you in the sport.

Biking is pretty expensive, but only INITIALLY. After you have your bike and all your gear, all you have to do is find some open roads/nice bike trails and head out! That's pretty much free, plus you get the added health benefits of biking :).

jnj2455

Ready to race!
So I just came across a check that I apparently had worked for and completely forgot about it that would perfectly cover the price of a new bike.

But now I am debating. New bike or sport a few more bucks and get OEM LED tails?

Razor1

Passed Driver's Ed
I suggest you look at bikesdirect.com. I have a Motobecane street and mountain bike and they are fantastic. Guys I ride with are blown away at what I payed for these bikes. One of them works for a shop, and he states the component group alone sells for more then I payed for the entire bike! The prices beat both Performance and Nashbar. Don't be fooled by the name, virtually all the frames purchased in the US (especially carbon fiber)comes from Taiwan and the companies just hang components ( basically Shram or Shimano) on them. I am a strong rider and I hammer these bikes in the mountains and on the rode without any frame issues.

JewFro

Ready to race!
I suggest you look at bikesdirect.com. I have a Motobecane street and mountain bike and they are fantastic. Guys I ride with are blown away at what I payed for these bikes. One of them works for a shop, and he states the component group alone sells for more then I payed for the entire bike! The prices beat both Performance and Nashbar. Don't be fooled by the name, virtually all the frames purchased in the US (especially carbon fiber)comes from Taiwan and the companies just hang components ( basically Shram or Shimano) on them. I am a strong rider and I hammer these bikes in the mountains and on the rode without any frame issues.

This!

I bought a Bikesdirect Motobecane road bike last season to see if it was a sport I liked instead of spending big bucks on a name brand bike first and then hating it. Long story short is I'm hooked and have logged over 3,000 miles on my Motobecane. Its held up great, weighs about 19lbs, carbon fork, and decent components.

It is pretty much exactly this but last years model
http://bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/grand_record_xii.htm

As others have said, budget some extra cash for gear. Bikenashbar is a good site for decent store brand gear and nice prices. At a minimum you'll want gloves and bike shorts. Your hands and balls will thank you :) A camel back is ideal for longer rides too, I easily consume most of my 70oz camel back on a long hot day ride.