GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any opinions on ECS Tuning "dogbone" inserts?

Hubs

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Searches have turned up some posts about these dogbone inserts, but I'm looking to see if I can get more specific information . . .

A friend of mine with a Mk7 swears by his dogbone insert, and is encouraging me to get one. He has the one manufactured by 034 Motorsport (ECS Tuning part number ES#2992954). In my searches, I have seen various comments saying this is not a good choice, and that it may damage the rubber part of the mount. So, maybe not a good idea. ECS Tuning also sells something that appears to be manufactured in-house, called the MQB Billet/Polyurethane Dogbone Insert (ES#4158732). Does anybody have experience with that product? I have not come across any reviews of that product.

Is there another product I should consider? I prefer at this point to avoid going crazy removing the whole arm and doing more work. My engine is not tuned, and while I autocross the car, I am not tracking it. I have a two-post lift, and I am competent to do some fairly complex DIY, but I just don't know if it will be worth me going too far.

Advice appreciated!

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
BFI seems to be the most recommended insert i've read about. I was going with their stage 1 "street" insert. Sadly my dog chewed up the one I just bought, so subbing for more info.

Hubs

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Not only "sad" that your dog chewed up your dogbone insert, but rather ironic as well!

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Powerflex lower bushing replacement or bust

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I have an ECS urethane insert and it seems to work well enough. There is some vibration in reverse, but otherwise no issues.
The metal inserts seem to bend and then are ruined. Urethane obviously has more give, but won't have that problem.

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
How bad are these vibrations really? I'm coming from owning a mk3 supra that had clapped out suspension for 8 out of the 10 years that I owned it. I suspect that I won't even notice any of it due to how much 90's era cars vibrated and what not lol.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
How bad are these vibrations really? I'm coming from owning a mk3 supra that had clapped out suspension for 8 out of the 10 years that I owned it. I suspect that I won't even notice any of it due to how much 90's era cars vibrated and what not lol.
You won't even notice it.

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
You won't even notice it.

Perfect! I was skeptical about how much vibrations it really is. I imagine the droning from the resonator delete will be the same outcome as well.
50072441_10213984206142609_4951926051941908480_o.jpg

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
If you aren't planning on tuning your car and we're talking about stock power levels, inserts are fine and I'd go with BFI's.

If you are planning to tune your car/push beyond stock power through your drivetrain, inserts are a waste of money. The rubber bushings are the weak point of the subframe mount, just as they are in the engine and transmission mounts. Replacing the rubber bushings (at least the lower) is what you should be doing, not reinforcing what is there with <random dogbone insert(s)> Powerflex Lower Subframe Bushing is a much better option in this case.

Hubs

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Thanks to all for the replies. At this point in time I have no plans for power upgrades. I recently purchased and installed a shift knob from BFI. I am fairly impressed with the quality. Based on that, and recommendations here, I ordered a stage 1 insert from BFI. Will update with my impressions later.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
I have the ECS Dogbone insert. Works well enough, but I dont have any other dogbone inserts to compare it to first hand. My car is DSG and I could only feel the vibration in reverse for maybe a month or so. It got less harsh so I thought the bolt had loosened. It had not. Definitely helped with traction especially in wet conditions.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Different people react differently.

I bought a CTS poly insert and they somehow gave me a BFI S1 on my GTI. It had a subtle vibe I didn’t like. Fast fwd to my R with a Spulen poly insert that’s supposedly a harder durometer and it bare added any NVH. I prefer it, but I’ll get a Powerflex Hybrid next year.

On the same note, people with SBC S3 Daily clutches complain about chatter/gear lash at idle. I barely feel/hear it at idle even with my AC on or in reverse. But it does sound like a diesel tractor when taking off.

Let us know how your experience goes.