GOLFMKV

Any is20 guys with dragy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Anything that relies on the phones gps will not be accurate. Dragy uses a 10hz signal with GPS and glonass. It will get from multiple satellites at once. It has been tested to be just as accurate as a Vbox, what magazines use, and on the drag strip to be within hundredths of a second and less than 1/2 mph trap. For what it costs and how small it is, it is the best device for measuring performance gains, shift points etc. It even gives road slope and DA

I would think many phones have GPS chips that can receive the GLONASS? Timing should be no issue either as long as the phone doesn't have a problem. People run all kinds of stuff on their phone which could slow things down though.

If the phone GPS chip can receive the Russian satellites and the phone doesn't have issues it should be accurate. Most phones have accelerometers also.

It's probably best to compare numbers across the same platform though. A dragy isn't that expensive at $149?

Anyone try the new GTECH Pro units?
https://gtechpro.com/G-TECH-Pro SS

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
But yeah a lot of guys just use a JB4 to increase the boost and then don’t touch it. In those cases they’re wasting their money since all they need is a diode. You can also rig it up so it’s adjustable for not much more money. That’s all the JB4 is doing with regards to boost.

Why even bother tuning at all when you could just put a hose between your MAP sensor and the intake manifold, then poke a hole in that to fool it into seeing less boost?

And yet you feel the right to call others out for trolling this thread... Will you please bother to understand how a piggyback actually works before you go spewing your nonsense to everyone?

I would think many phones have GPS chips that can receive the GLONASS? Timing should be no issue either as long as the phone doesn't have a problem. People run all kinds of stuff on their phone which could slow things down though.

If the phone GPS chip can receive the Russian satellites and the phone doesn't have issues it should be accurate. Most phones have accelerometers also.

It's probably best to compare numbers across the same platform though. A dragy isn't that expensive at $149?

I think it likely depends a lot on the phone. I tried one of those phone apps to measure with GPS a while back, and it was only good to about +/- 0.5s and 5mph in the quarter mile. Maybe more modern phones would get better results.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think the 1hz GPS unit in cell phones is the issue. A lot can happen in 1 second at 100mph. 10hz samples 10 times a second, so much more accurate.

Other apps can be just as accurate as draggy, you just have to pair them with a 10hz GPS unit. You should see what the mapping for a road course looks like with 1hz. The app thinks you're a drunk driver. lol

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

It's about how many hz the refresh rate is. Most phones are like 1hz and the dragy is 10hz. Its specifically designed to be accurate with a satellite. Just think about how many times Google maps, waze or apple maps shows you off track from where you actually are.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
It's about how many hz the refresh rate is. Most phones are like 1hz and the dragy is 10hz. Its specifically designed to be accurate with a satellite. Just think about how many times Google maps, waze or apple maps shows you off track from where you actually are.

I see, it's a GPS chip limitation in a phone, not a processor limitation in the phone. If that's the case, yea, phones are definitely limited.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I don’t quite follow?

You’re confusing two very different things here:

One is ECU tuning and the second is a map clamp which fools the ECU into running more boost. The JB4 uses a zener diode to accomplish this. My question was, why not just buy the diode yourself for under a dollar instead of paying $399?
I can change the amount of boost I want to add at 500 rpm increments from 1,500-7,000. I can do it in tenths of a psi. I can then also change rail pressure as well in increments of 5 from 0-100. Then there is boost by gear options in gears 1-3, valet mode that will even remove boost from a flash, a boost reduction feature at your shift for dsg and auto, as well as monitoring and maximizing afr through the OBD and the primary O2. On top of that it does logging, live gauges, you can create and store different maps that can be changed in about 10 seconds. So I can run a low boost for 91 or an all out for e30. I can switch between them in seconds. Then it also works as a meth controller. It is way more than a map clamp

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
All of that can be accomplished with additional zener diodes and switches. All it’s doing is altering sensor voltages. It’s not rocket science. We used these for boost, fueling and throttle 20 years ago. Except back then they were a couple dollars. Now suckers are paying $400. ?
I bought mine used and it does it a hell of a lot easier and faster. So you pay for convenience

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm going to be cleaning my interior today and try to shave some tenths of my time. Hopefully my Diodes do good work. I'll also try to source some OEM E85. OEM for life.

Careful when going for those OEM times. Someone may report you and you'll get a warning or a ticket. That goes for anyone doing dragy runs.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I'm going to be cleaning my interior today and try to shave some tenths of my time. Hopefully my Diodes do good work. I'll also try to source some OEM E85. OEM for life.

So do you have anything helpful to contribute here? I get you want to poke fun, but please do it elsewhere

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
That’s a fair point.

Are you going to sell your JB4 now that you have a proper ECU tune?
Yes. Actually going to list it tonight or tomorrow. I have a local guy with a golf R who might be interested. He tried me the other day on the turnpike and i just took off from him. So now he wants more power. The only thing I use it for right now is logging, but it doesn't log enough for the tuner. So I use OBDeleven which sucks. Going to sell both and get a VCDS.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
Yes. Actually going to list it tonight or tomorrow. I have a local guy with a golf R who might be interested. He tried me the other day on the turnpike and i just took off from him. So now he wants more power. The only thing I use it for right now is logging, but it doesn't log enough for the tuner. So I use OBDeleven which sucks. Going to sell both and get a VCDS.
What parameters are you logging with OBD11?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Oh wow. Did you guys pull over to chat after the race? I love random street races. They're so much more fun than the pre-arranged ones where it's frequently about money, drama, etc.

He did a YOHB on the local MK7 group. He described my wagon and then said it was fast. Someone tagged me after that.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Spontaneous street races are the best, especially in a sleeper golf. Both of the ones I've had, one against a CTS and another against a C5 corvette, the drivers were stunned and gave me a big thumbs up and smile afterwards.

TwinDad, who is your tuner? Are you still with reflect tuning?

Status
Not open for further replies.