GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any high HP cars do compression test lately? I did and so should you.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
This is the one i used
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVU89I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reviews were good, its easy, seems like it reads consistent when i test the same cylinder a few times in a row, and has a pressure relief button which is a plus.

i guess you only have to thread this by hand and it'll be enough? since in the cavity you wont be able to tighten it.

Just pull the LPFP fuse and let it idle until it starts to choke.

Good enough

I bought this one back in 2013
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R5CPAQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has worked well on my previous cars. Haven't used it on the GTI yet, but should work just as well.

The one 2slowvw posted looks nearly identical for a lot less money!

thanks guys. good info!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So I haven't done a compression test on my car, mostly due to thinking it was always more involved and complicated than it really is. It's almost time to check my plugs, so I figure I'll just get it done while doing that.

As I'm having no issues with my car, I have no reason to expect bad results. If it was going to fail a compression test, that's something you'd notice symptoms before even doing the test, correct?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So I haven't done a compression test on my car, mostly due to thinking it was always more involved and complicated than it really is. It's almost time to check my plugs, so I figure I'll just get it done while doing that.

As I'm having no issues with my car, I have no reason to expect bad results. If it was going to fail a compression test, that's something you'd notice symptoms before even doing the test, correct?

Most likely if it was bad enough.

phecker410

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R 6MT
In case anybody wants another reference point, just used this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Cylinder 1: 182/185.7
Cylinder 2: 180/183.7
Cylinder 3: 188/191.8
Cylinder 4: 186/189.8

*without altitude adjustment/with altitude adjustment*
Car has 31,500 miles and about 3,000 of those miles are with the high HP setup. No tracking but lot of spirited miles. Haven't tuned for E yet.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
In case anybody wants another reference point, just used this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cylinder-Compression-Tester-Gas-Petrol-Engine-Gauge-Tool-Kit-for-Car-Motorcycle/363144419523?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Cylinder 1: 182/185.7
Cylinder 2: 180/183.7
Cylinder 3: 188/191.8
Cylinder 4: 186/189.8

*without altitude adjustment/with altitude adjustment*
Car has 31,500 miles and about 3,000 of those miles are with the high HP setup. No tracking but lot of spirited miles. Haven't tuned for E yet.
Looks perfect. Very healthy.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
As long as it is consistent across all 4 cylinders, you are good. My compression across all 4 cylinders was 120 - 122 and there was nothing wrong with my car.

Yup. There's way too many variables to compare just the numbers from person to person. Altitude, quality of tester, etc... I tested mine a year ago, and all were around the 145 - 150 range. Which was lower than I was expecting to see, but consistent. Tested recently again, and did buddy's he had just got (used with 32k miles) at the same time, both in that same 145 - 150 range.

I’m too scared to test. I know if it’s low I’ll stress about it for no reason 😂

Better to know than not. As long as it's consistent, you're golden :)

phecker410

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R 6MT
I’m too scared to test. I know if it’s low I’ll stress about it for no reason 😂
Man, I was scared UNTIL I did it! Especially considering I'm the second owner and the previous owner ruined a clutch in < 26k miles and installed an aftermarket BOV.