GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any good driving roads around San Antonio?

TwinSnails

Ready to race!
Car(s)
B5 S4 Avant, Mk7 R
Hey Everyone, I'm heading into TX to pick up my '16 Golf R and will be making a road trip out of it to see family in San Antonio. Curious if there are any good driving roads in and around San Antonio or within a hour's drive that I could get to know the new car on?

TIA!

Laterz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
San Antonio is a big place. An hour isnt much time, depending where you will be. Some great rides out in the hill country, towards Bandera, Fredericksburg, Lukenbach, Concan. But they are all country drives, taking a lot more than an hour. Let me know what side of town and I could give you more advice if you like.

TwinSnails

Ready to race!
Car(s)
B5 S4 Avant, Mk7 R
I’ll be in the NW part of town around Leon Springs. I’m all for driving to the good roads, certainly get that SA is huge so I’m open to any and all options.

Laterz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Screenshot_20200622-213546_Maps.jpg
Perfect, Leon Springs to Utopia. Open roads, hardly any traffic, beautiful Texas Hill Country.

Laterz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Another option is to stay on Hwy 16 and go to Kerville, it's a shorter route but popular with bikers, still a nice ride. Bandera nice town, it's the Cowboy Capital, once outside Bandera, open road. I didnt see any police last time I went thru there, speed limit in the small towns.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I think Laterz covered it, but just adding my 2 cents.

Go to Luchenbach, not really for the drive but it's cool just to hang out in. Usually free live music, beer.

https://www.luckenbachtexas.com/

And if you really want to open it up, go to I10 east and hop on 130 north. Boring road, but you can see what the top end is like

TwinSnails

Ready to race!
Car(s)
B5 S4 Avant, Mk7 R
Another option is to stay on Hwy 16 and go to Kerville, it's a shorter route but popular with bikers, still a nice ride. Bandera nice town, it's the Cowboy Capital, once outside Bandera, open road. I didnt see any police last time I went thru there, speed limit in the small towns.

I was going to ask about police on these routes, certainly would hate to get a ticket within a week of owning the car! Looks like you could make a decent little loop starting in Bandera> Utopia>Vanderpool>Medina and back to Bandera. We'll see if the weather holds out, looking pretty wet next week at the moment.

Laterz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5
Twisted Sisters, sounds like a great day trip. Any groups in San Antonio/ South Texas get together for these?

TwinSnails

Ready to race!
Car(s)
B5 S4 Avant, Mk7 R
And rain is fine, you have an R, not a Senna. Plus it keeps the popo and lolly gaggers away

Agreed but always prefer a dry road over a wet one to get a better sense of the car. Good point though, the road will probably be clear of traffic in the rain. Any risk of 5.0 on a normal weekday?

PicositoGTi

Go Kart Champion
Twisted Sisters, sounds like a great day trip. Any groups in San Antonio/ South Texas get together for these?

I organized a Golf group here locally in SA and we have about 24 golf GTi's/Golf R's in the group. PM me if you wanna join our group. We do hill country drives, go to car shows and occasional street racing trips in mexico. LOL

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Worth hitting the Twisted Sisters if you're in the area.
https://www.ridetexas.com/the-twisted-sisters/

And rain is fine, you have an R, not a Senna. Plus it keeps the popo and lolly gaggers away
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm new to the area and made a day trip out of Twisted Sisters today. Lots of fun and great views, especially this time of year with the sprinkling of yellow, orange, and red trees. Not that I got any pictures of it.

EDIT: The roads are very technical with lots of turns and grade changes. 336 is probably the sketchiest of the three with a lot of loose gravel on the road, cattle guards, open range areas, and sharper curves.

Taking a little break at the start of 336 North-
PXL_20220116_221027950.jpg

Last edited:

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
Very nice. What part of Austin are you in and where did you move from?
I'm currently in the Sunset Valley/Oak Hills area. Originally from Seattle/Redmond and came down here for the weather. Doing a canyon carve run in the middle of January would never happen.