GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Golf Rs running Revo Stage 2 Tune?

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
Is anyone running Revo Stage 2 Tune on their golf R?
I've had couple mk6 GTIs, one was running stage 1, and other one was stage 2, both Revo tunes. Never had issue with either one of the cars, Stage 2 car ran well into 150K miles (135K on stage 2 tune), with regular maintenance. Stage 1 car was traded in with 95K miles (70K with stage 1 tune), neither cars gave me any issues other than slipping clutch, and misfire, due to OEM plugs/coil packs). Needles to say they have earned my Trust, but i would like to hear with from mk7 Golf R owner that runs their Stage 2 tune.

My single concern...
Back when i drove mk6, there were 3-4 shops in Atlanta area that were Revo distributors, now closest one is out of state. I am not sure why every local shop is jumping on the APR bandwagon, and dropping Revo. Were there any issues with their tunes, that may have developed since i had my cars tuned? I am driving out of state for a wedding next month, and i found a shop that is authorized Revo dealer, on the way. I am however little hesitant due to lack of because of lack of support and dealer presence locally.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Is Revo and APR the only options you'll consider? Cobb is the way to go imo, not the tunes by cobb though, but EQT.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I agree with sterkrazzy. Why go with a canned tune when you can go with a system that let's you get pro-tuned, gives you the ability to sell it later on if you decide to and more benefits you just don't get with a standard tune?

And don't forget Stratified as well.

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
Is Revo and APR the only options you'll consider? Cobb is the way to go imo, not the tunes by cobb though, but EQT.
APR is not an option i would consider... let's just leave it at that.
I have JB1 now, and truth be told i would probably be ok with it in the long run. However since i already have a high-flow downpipe, intake, and new clutch, i will always wonder what stage 2 tune feels like.

I did look into other options, but honestly bang for the buck i don't think anyone can touch Revo, especially if you find "motivated" dealer.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
APR is not an option i would consider... let's just leave it at that.
I have JB1 now, and truth be told i would probably be ok with it in the long run. However since i already have a high-flow downpipe, intake, and new clutch, i will always wonder what stage 2 tune feels like.

I did look into other options, but honestly bang for the buck i don't think anyone can touch Revo, especially if you find "motivated" dealer.

I had apr on my mk6, they weren't a consideration for me either. I'd look into the cobb. That's really gonna be the best bang for your buck. The cobb AP can be sold once you no longer want the tune and you get the majority of your money back. Plus the cobb AP itself is a good value. $675 for the AP, $175 for the tune, and you can easily sell for the AP for $500 when you're done with the tune or ready to get rid of the car, or buy a used one to begin with.

Most other tuners don't have a handheld that's so easy to use, you can check your parameters live and always know your car is running how it's supposed to. I don't recommend using the tunes from cobb though. There's tuners like EQT and Stratified that make tunes for the cobb. I had stratified on my mk6 gti and loved it. It was so much smoother than the APR tune I had on that car. EQT doesn't make tunes for the mk6 so I never heard of it until I got my mk7, but it's impossible to find anyone saying anything bad about Ed and his EQT tunes.

I feel like Revo has been dying slowly since the mk4 days. I never hear anybody talking about them anymore. I think even APRs popularity is dying down, especially now that we have more tuning options than ever before.

There's an EQT MQB facebook group you can join. It's ran by Ed and a couple of his employees, they're always in there helping people out.

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
Thanks for the suggestion... yes revo/apr tune is money down the drain if the car is ever sold/totaled. However couple hundred thousand miles between two of my cars, running their tune, with no issues, makes me beileve its worth the money. Also i was quoted less then $700 out the door with taxes and labor, for stage 2.]
Also, having to deal with driving logs, e-mailing back and forth is but more than I want to deal with, which is a reason i opted for simple jb1, vs jb4.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Thanks for the suggestion... yes revo/apr tune is money down the drain if the car is ever sold/totaled. However couple hundred thousand miles between two of my cars, running their tune, with no issues, makes me beileve its worth the money. Also i was quoted less then $700 out the door with taxes and labor, for stage 2.]
Also, having to deal with driving logs, e-mailing back and forth is but more than I want to deal with, which is a reason i opted for simple jb1, vs jb4.

All good, just figured I'd toss out some more info for another option to consider.

I don't believe you have to do any logs with the EQT stage 1 or 2 tunes though. My stage 1 tune was loaded on the cobb ap before they shipped it out. All I had to do was order the cobb through EQT and wait for it to show up so I could install it and I was good to go. I never had to do any logs, no emailing back and forth, and the car drives perfectly. He's got his base map stage 1 and 2 tunes pretty well dialed in.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
All good, just figured I'd toss out some more info for another option to consider.

I don't believe you have to do any logs with the EQT stage 1 or 2 tunes though. My stage 1 tune was loaded on the cobb ap before they shipped it out. All I had to do was order the cobb through EQT and wait for it to show up so I could install it and I was good to go. I never had to do any logs, no emailing back and forth, and the car drives perfectly. He's got his base map stage 1 and 2 tunes pretty well dialed in.

Logging is only for protunes.

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
ok, so i picked up an used accessport, i will play with it for about a month and decide if i will stay with it or switch to revo. Does EQT or Stratified offer demo tunes, or maybe 30 day money back?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
ok, so i picked up an used accessport, i will play with it for about a month and decide if i will stay with it or switch to revo. Does EQT or Stratified offer demo tunes, or maybe 30 day money back?

No and no.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
You need to purchase an eqt ots tune and play w that first.. then decide. Cobb OTS maps aren’t anything special.