GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any experience diagnosing an overheating engine and doing a DIY repair?

mountainmk7

Car(s)
Golf MK7
The engine on my 2015 Golf TSI has been overheating intermittently and I've been getting a fault code of PB007 - Engine Coolant Flow Low/ Performance. This has been happening even when the coolant level in the reservoir tank is adequate. When I top up the reservoir, a little bit leaks from the bottom, but the level stays between the Min and Max lines anyway.

Also, the engine cooling fan doesn't come on when I turn on the engine. Is it supposed to? If not, when should it?

I've been doing research and I found that the thermostat housing in this car is prone to failure, so I bought one. I've been watching instructional videos on how to do the replacement, and it seems like everyone replaces the water pump along with it, so I'm thinking about postponing the repair until I get a new one of those, too.

Am I on the right track?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
The engine on my 2015 Golf TSI has been overheating intermittently and I've been getting a fault code of PB007 - Engine Coolant Flow Low/ Performance. This has been happening even when the coolant level in the reservoir tank is adequate. When I top up the reservoir, a little bit leaks from the bottom, but the level stays between the Min and Max lines anyway.

Also, the engine cooling fan doesn't come on when I turn on the engine. Is it supposed to? If not, when should it?

I've been doing research and I found that the thermostat housing in this car is prone to failure, so I bought one. I've been watching instructional videos on how to do the replacement, and it seems like everyone replaces the water pump along with it, so I'm thinking about postponing the repair until I get a new one of those, too.

Am I on the right track?
I think you’re headed in the right direction. The fans should come on when the AC is turned on, so that would be a way to check. They will also come on to help bring down temps when necessary, but not when the engine is turned on necessarily.

mountainmk7

Car(s)
Golf MK7
I think you’re headed in the right direction. The fans should come on when the AC is turned on, so that would be a way to check. They will also come on to help bring down temps when necessary, but not when the engine is turned on necessarily.
I checked after letting the engine run for a bit and it appears that the cooling fan does come on. I'm going to go ahead and order a water pump and replace it at the same time as the thermostat assembly. I'm hoping that does the trick!

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I checked after letting the engine run for a bit and it appears that the cooling fan does come on. I'm going to go ahead and order a water pump and replace it at the same time as the thermostat assembly. I'm hoping that does the trick!
You can’t go wrong. It’s a matter of when not if on these. I believe the union should be replaced at the same time as well, I’m not sure if it needs to be ordered separately or not.

mountainmk7

Car(s)
Golf MK7
You can’t go wrong. It’s a matter of when not if on these. I believe the union should be replaced at the same time as well, I’m not sure if it needs to be ordered separately or not.
I already have the thermostat assembly ready so I'm going to need to order the water pump separately, but they are sold together as well. I was tempted to see if replacing just the thermostat assembly would fix the overheating problem, but this doesn't seem like a job I'm going to want to have to redo. It'll likely take me half a day, whereas every other job I've done so far has been a quick fix.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I already have the thermostat assembly ready so I'm going to need to order the water pump separately, but they are sold together as well. I was tempted to see if replacing just the thermostat assembly would fix the overheating problem, but this doesn't seem like a job I'm going to want to have to redo. It'll likely take me half a day, whereas every other job I've done so far has been a quick fix.
While I have never done one myself, if I’m to understand correctly it’s a good days work. I need to my valve cleaning this weekend. So I’ll be halfway there.