GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Comfortable coilovers?

Beamer2Clean

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Gti without dcc is not comfortable by any means for anyone that lives in a area with any type of snow and all of the potholes it brings. I am looking for options on coilovers that would make the ride even comfier then stock, without giving up the handling abilities. I know KW street comfort are up there along with Broadway suspension, just looking for any information and open to new suggestions!

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
+1 for kw v1. Eqt coilovers should also be considered.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Comfort is a factor of three things.

1. Personal opinion.

2. Springs (not just spring rate)

- The spring rate split with heavier wheel rate up front, means that the rear of the car is under-sprung and causes a lot of the discomfort riding over bumps, with the rear bouncing around in response to these bumps.
- I run 400 in/lb springs in the rear with shocks that can handle the bumps well and provide the correct amount of rebound, the ride is taught, but also very forgiving, and the rear does not bounce around.

3. Shock damping curve and other valving abilities

- Low-end shocks are all about the same, and do not have the valving built in to blow off harsh bumps (high speed blow off)
- When you purchase "coilovers" a vast majority of the cost (should be) in the shocks.
- To that end, you can get comfort from shocks like the Ohlins Road and Track and I believe the KW V3, and other boutique shocks.

If you can't afford that kind of shock, then get your hands on some rebound adjustable shocks (digressive valving if possible), get the spring setup I mentioned, keep the front springs if you want, and turn up the rear rebound until the rear of the car does not bounce more than 1-2 times over a bump.
Then get 17 inch wheels, or 16 inch if you don't have PP brakes, and enjoy the "relative" comfort.

Last edited:

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I don't think there is a coilover more "comfortable" than stock. No coilover is going to make going through potholes and choppy roads more comfortable. Go with 17's and taller tires if you want a more comfortable ride.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I had the kw v1 (street comfort) on my mk7 gti. Ride was great even slammed.
20190629_161032.jpg