GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any coatings for an outside car?

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Due to space limitations, I have to park my car in an outside driveway. And its surrounded by trees. So it will get sap, and leaves on it. Is there a recommended coating I can apply myself to help protect the paint?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Ceramic coating I believe will help as it provides a sacrificial layer between the paint and outside world much akin to wax, but with longer lasting results.

Heard there is graphite coatings too, but haven't read up on them. Ceramic is pretty popular for paint protection/longevity, normally the 1 year re apply coatings but they have ones that claim to last 5, and 10 years.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
There's different ways to go about it. You could do a real ceramic coating, but to do it right you need to have the car claybarred/iron-x'd/polished/and alcohol sprayed to remove the polish oil & residue, before you do the ceramic coating. Then once the coating is on the car it needs to stay dry for a couple days. I'll just say I put cquartz uk 3.0 on my last car and after 6 months I was not impressed at all. It was amazing after it had just been applied, but it barely lasted and I put a ton of time and money into it and didn't feel it was worth it.

There's the old fashion way with your traditional wax, I feel like something like collinite would do a better job than most other waxes for what you're using it for. Rejex is one I've considered trying too.

I'm more of a fan of ceramic or wax sprays. I've been using Meguiars fast finish this year and I've been pretty happy with it. Super easy to put on and wipe off. The bottle lasts quite a while as it's in an aerosol can and doesn't need a whole lot on your rag to apply it. Right now I've got a bottle of turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic spray that I'll be trying after my next car wash. I haven't been a big turtle wax fan in a while but I've been seeing a ton of detailers raving about this stuff, so I figured I'd try it out. I've heard from detailers it keeps paint hydrophobic for about 4 months which is pretty good for it is. A lot of waxes don't even last that long and they'll take you longer to apply.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
If you do go the wax route, also keep flash points and your local ambient temps in mind. Older style waxes look nice but will melt off in the summer heat if left in the sun too long if your somewhere like a desert.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
I've been using Turtle Wax Seal and Shine on my red GTI.. but its garage kept. Im not sure how long its last as I havent had the car long...but I like it better than the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic; while it may have been more shiny/glossy I feel the Hybrid Ceramic attracted a lot of dust. I also had water etch marks after using the hybrid ceramic ...none with the Seal and Shine yet..

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I will be honest, I am somewhat lazy so the spray on wipe off solution sounds good to me! I live in NC so it gets pretty hot and also humid but not much snow or salt to deal with. Its also dusty where I live so that's a concern. Are these the Turtle Wax sprays you mentioned:

Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating

Turtle Wax 53223 ICE Seal N Shine

Both have good reviews and the price is right, I think I will try one or both!

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Maybe I'll have to try the seal and shine. It's cheap enough. Wondering if I got the 2 mixed up now.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Heard a lot of new things about the newer Turtle wax line in various threads. A lot of people seem to have given it a shot and liked it.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Spray on wax every once and a while, just wash it and when rotating the tires just spray a little silicone on the joints. Doesn’t take anything special.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
I will be honest, I am somewhat lazy so the spray on wipe off solution sounds good to me! I live in NC so it gets pretty hot and also humid but not much snow or salt to deal with. Its also dusty where I live so that's a concern. Are these the Turtle Wax sprays you mentioned:

Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating

Turtle Wax 53223 ICE Seal N Shine

Both have good reviews and the price is right, I think I will try one or both!

Yeah the seal and shine. Yellow new and improved on the label. I did use the hybrid ceramic and do think it makes the car shinier and more slick albeit it attracted dust more.. but somehow I believe I got water spot etching with the hybrid ceramic ...i dont think it was my prep as I compounded first. So far the seal and shine has been good. easy to reapply after any w ash.
If someone has tried the Last Coat or Griots 3 in 1 and can vouch for no water spot etching I'd love to hear ...

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I highly recommend ONR (Optimum No Rinse) Wash and Wax. I also lack a garage and have a gravel driveway. The protection builds every time that you wash it. It beads up really well. I rarely ever have to even use my windshield wipers. It is way faster to use than a conventional car wash soap, you don't have to worry about spotting, and it helps protect against swirlmarks! The only downside that I have found, is that I now have some conventional car wash left that I want nothing to do with. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NRWW2012Q-Rinse-Wash-Wax/dp/B00GG9FB8U

If you want an extra layer of protection, I recommend their Opti-Seal as well. You can even apply it after the ONR. It migrates through the layer of wax to bond to the paintwork below. Crazy stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-20239-Opti-Seal-Foam-Applicator/dp/B076HYYGTT

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I highly recommend ONR (Optimum No Rinse) Wash and Wax. I also lack a garage and have a gravel driveway. The protection builds every time that you wash it. It beads up really well. I rarely ever have to even use my windshield wipers. It is way faster to use than a conventional car wash soap, you don't have to worry about spotting, and it helps protect against swirlmarks! The only downside that I have found, is that I now have some conventional car wash left that I want nothing to do with. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NRWW2012Q-Rinse-Wash-Wax/dp/B00GG9FB8U

If you want an extra layer of protection, I recommend their Opti-Seal as well. You can even apply it after the ONR. It migrates through the layer of wax to bond to the paintwork below. Crazy stuff!

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-20239-Opti-Seal-Foam-Applicator/dp/B076HYYGTT
Been thinking of picking up some of this from the bearded detailer. Thanks for the feedback.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Been thinking of picking up some of this from the bearded detailer. Thanks for the feedback.
These were taken after the Opti-Seal.
1600485496496.png

1600485323007.png

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Another vouch for Seal N Shine on my deep black pearl GTI that sits outside 24/7.

I agree with @RMinNJ about the water etching with Hybrid Ceramic Wax. I like the ability to use their suite of Hybrid Solutions products together, but it definitely leads to water etching more easily than Seal N Shine as well as etching/spots from tree sap. Seal N Shine has tremendous chemical resistance for the price.

have yet to find a product that stands up to etching from bird droppings, even if I remove it from the paint within an hour or two.. awh well, can’t win em all