GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Antigravity 20 CEL 600 CCA Lithiun Ion Battery

marka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Howdy,

I might have gone with that if I'd known it existed. Interesting that it's 24 ah. Mine is 22ah.

Yours is the YTX12-20, right?

I think the ah on that is quite a bit less than the AG-H5-24-RS. The spec on AG's site says its 26 Ah pb eq... I can't find where they say exactly what the Ah capacity really is, but various stuff I've seen says that they multiply the actual Ah by as much as 3 to get the lead equivalent...

https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/oem-size/ytx12-20/

For instance, see the specs on the ATX-20HD...
https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atx20-hd/

Mark

marka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Howdy,

So... I went in a bit different direction:

Higher capacity and just bolts in directly. 8.5 lbs vs. something like the ATX-20HD at 5 lbs, but since it works with the stock mount there's no additional weight from that and installation is literally OE simple.

Also costs a bit more, of course, but the ease of install and higher capacity was worth it to me.

I'll try and report back how it goes. :)

Update... I let the car sit for 11 days (between when I got home from the last event and just now going out to change rear springs). Not on a charger... In part I was curious if it would kill the battery. Car was unlocked with the key in the center console the whole time (no idea if that's better/worse/immaterial in terms of battery usage)

I was able to turn on the ignition to roll down windows and shift it to neutral so that I could get it onto the lift. After a little bit of playing around doing the spring change though, the battery shut off and went into its protect / emergency reserve mode.

The emergency button on the battery seemed to work fine to restore power (though I didn't actually start the car, since I was still doing the spring change). Finished up the spring change and now its on the (lithium) charger.

So, I'd say that for me, if the car is going to likely sit for a week, I'll plan on putting it on the charger.

YEPMV (Your Electrical Power May Vary) :)

Mark

Deanjet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
3.5 lbs. It's 22ah and claimed 600 CCA.

I weighted the stock battery, it's 35 lbs.

Also, from my research, a 22ah lithium ion is equivalent to a 60ah lead acid battery. That's because voltage drops off at 30% drained for a lead acid and lithium voltage doesn't drop off until 90% drained. The issue with lithium ion is that the battery is destroyed if you drain them.
You can bring them back, but you need the proper equipment.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You can bring them back, but you need the proper equipment.

The charger I bought brought it back from 3 volts. Seems fine.