GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Antenna lifted after backing into garage...

poi217

This happened exactly a year. I accidentally backed into the garage door not knowing it was halfway down.
It caused the antenna on the roof to lift just a tad bit near the back part (pics tomorrow).

There haven't been any leaks (at least nothing yet). I remember the repair shop quoting $700-1k.
If it were you, would you get it fixed..?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
This happened exactly a year. I accidentally backed into the garage door not knowing it was halfway down.
It caused the antenna on the roof to lift just a tad bit near the back part (pics tomorrow).

There haven't been any leaks (at least nothing yet). I remember the repair shop quoting $700-1k.
If it were you, would you get it fixed..?
You’re lucky it hasn’t leaked. I’d get it fixed as soon as I could. The base of the antenna has this sort of rubber seal thing. I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to be left making poor contact

I’d get it fixed. U never know.

poi217

pics for better answer.

at least seal it with RTV
1614438163013.jpg
1614438289258-1.jpg
1614438289258-0.jpg

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I like that answer...PDR if you don't work on stuff yourself. RTV at a minimum cause roof leak ain't good

cb1111

Hey if it hasn't leaked in a year, then perhaps we should try that the door speakers, pano roof and whatnot.....

The correct repair is to drop the headliner, remove the antenna, fix the roof and put the antenna and headliner back.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I bet the roof is actually slightly dented. I wonder if you could pop the dent and the antenna might sit right again.

Agreed. It probably bent the area around the center stud that attaches the antenna base to the roof, such that the stud is now cocked slightly forward. But probably the seal around the stud hasn't been breached, which would explain the <knocks on wood> lack of leaking. It doesn't matter if the rubber seal is lifted in the rear, as long as it's still sealed around the stud opening. You might even be able to just bend the antenna back and partially straighten it. It won't go back to perfect, but maybe midway.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Yeah, as others have said, your roof is dented. PDR can fix it and should't cost $700. Should be much less unless you want a new antenna.
The reason they are quoting so much is that the headliner has to be removed, which is a huge job (I have done it). You can't get to the nut easily without dropping it. I tried to just take off the trim and get my arm in there, but the body line makes it very hard since from the back opening the body goes up like a cup shape. Also, since it is stiff, if you try to pull down the back and don't have the front released it will crease it. Its all labor time really. But I agree with others, you creased the sheet metal. It has to be made flat again. Take out headliner, remove old one, flatten sheet metal and replace with new one. If I saw that on a used car I was considering purchasing I would pass, so you need to fix it the right way.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I’m pretry sure you can access the area from the back of the ceiling (from the gate). That is how I unplugged the antenna when I removed it for the roof vinyl install.

Another way is from the top of the rear door openings. Also hail pullers can be used once the antenna is removed from outside.