GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another Tire Question

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Has anyone done a 235/40r18 or 240/40r18 or 245/40r18 on the OEM MK7 GTI Austin 18" wheels, which if I am not mistaken are only 7.5" wide? All of these sizes of course have a minimum width of 8", but I am curious if folks are pushing the specs at all. I am not lowered and do not plan to lower this car.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Autocrossers have tried 245 on 7.5 width, on tires with much wider actual tread than the typical street tire. In their case, avoiding wider wheels is a car class issue. Knew a guy who ran 225 on 6.5 to keep his miata in stock class. But this is a specific use and tires are not expected to last more than one autocross season.

If you go wider for street, you may want to increase psi to avoid rolling over on the outside. But really I doubt you'll notice much difference in handling on the street unless you drive like a loony all the time. A better choice might be a softer tire compound in 225.

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Autocrossers have tried 245 on 7.5 width, on tires with much wider actual tread than the typical street tire. In their case, avoiding wider wheels is a car class issue. Knew a guy who ran 225 on 6.5 to keep his miata in stock class. But this is a specific use and tires are not expected to last more than one autocross season.

If you go wider for street, you may want to increase psi to avoid rolling over on the outside. But really I doubt you'll notice much difference in handling on the street unless you drive like a loony all the time. A better choice might be a softer tire compound in 225.
Excellent thoughts. Thanks.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
I had 235/40-18 MPS4S on Austin for 24k mi, mildly lower on DG springs, no issue whatsoever

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have 235s on my Austins right now and they fit fine. It's going to depend on the tire -- some are narrower or wider than others in the same size.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have 235s on my Austins right now and they fit fine. It's going to depend on the tire -- some are narrower or wider than others in the same size.

And what tire are you running currently? I am between Michelin PS4 A/S or Pirelli P Zero Plus A/S. I don't care about snow traction at all. I won't be driving this in the snow. I have the MPS4 on my Audi and like them a lot, but they are a little loud. I am thinking the Pirellis might be a bit more compliant and quieter on the GTI. Let me know if anyone has further thoughts.

15 front, 20 back; flush

Very nice. That is exactly how I have my Audi SQ5 set up. Which spacers are folks using on their MK7s? I used H&R on the Audi, but I know they are overpriced/overkill. I will do something more affordable for the GTI.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
And what tire are you running currently? I am between Michelin PS4 A/S or Pirelli P Zero Plus A/S. I don't care about snow traction at all. I won't be driving this in the snow. I have the MPS4 on my Audi and like them a lot, but they are a little loud. I am thinking the Pirellis might be a bit more compliant and quieter on the GTI. Let me know if anyone has further thoughts.
I'm running Yoko v601's because I needed a summer tire that would also hold up at autocross. They're not a particularly quiet or smooth tire, but they're good for a tire that doesn't fall apart on the course.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
Very nice. That is exactly how I have my Audi SQ5 set up. Which spacers are folks using on their MK7s? I used H&R on the Audi, but I know they are overpriced/overkill. I will do something more affordable for the GTI.
I saw variety, from ECS to Neuspeed, find used sets if you can, cheaper.

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Since the specs on these tires say 8" min wheel, what type of tire shop do you have to go to to put them on? Will the average chain do it? Or do I need to hunt for an independent shop?