GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another Tire Question

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Has anyone done a 235/40r18 or 240/40r18 or 245/40r18 on the OEM Austin 18" GTI wheels, which if I am not mistaken are only 7.5" wide? All of these sizes of course have a minimum width of 8", but I am curious if folks are pushing the specs at all. I am not lowered and do not plan to lower this car.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have 235s on my Austins. Fits fine. 245s would fit, but you might sacrifice some responsiveness. Depends on the tire.

MarkP888

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I wouldn’t go over 235 on a 7.5” wheel.
Yeah, I agree this isn't something that should be pushed too far...

Any other thoughts? Any others doing this? I am between the standard choices... Michelin PS4 A/S (I have these on my Audi SQ5 -- noisy, but excellent tires) or Pirelli P Zero A/S Plus (would be likely a bit more comfortable and quiet, but I know I'd lose a little bit of the edge that the Michelins (or Conti DWS06) would offer.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Yeah, I agree this isn't something that should be pushed too far...

Any other thoughts? Any others doing this? I am between the standard choices... Michelin PS4 A/S (I have these on my Audi SQ5 -- noisy, but excellent tires) or Pirelli P Zero A/S Plus (would be likely a bit more comfortable and quiet, but I know I'd lose a little bit of the edge that the Michelins (or Conti DWS06) would offer.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?forums/wheels-tires-suspension-brakes-chassis.164/