GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another Sunroof Issue thread with a difference

ca511

Car(s)
Golf R, Supra MkV
Mk7.5G olf R. Sunroof rattled which was some what fixed with some felt that I stuck on the plastic rise by sticking my hand between the glass and the roof. 90% worked when the glass was closed

Continued to rattle when open at the back all fully open.

Developed a creak which was improved with greasing the rear seal but this didnt fix it 100% and it still creaked when taking angles and their was twist in the body or after a wash and standing in the sun.

I ended up loosening the rear bolts and front bolts and adjusting the glass to sit higher and more even which made the rattles go away but you can notice the glass sitting a little higher than flush at the rear.

The creaking still existed albeit better.

I then noticed that there is another bolt in the middle on either side I loosened this and the glass popped up in the middle which made me realise that it was twisted and under pressure once it popped up I then tightened this again and the creaking was finally gone.

I still had some minor rattles over bad roads so was still trying to see if I can add more felt or padding and trying to work in such a confined area is so difficult.

I have watched every video and read every forum and thread I can find and could not see anything new to try.

I then fiddled with plastic shield under the glass again and it messed up the sun shade which ended up getting stuck and jamming.

I had to rip the whole sunshade out which came out with the spring and plastic bits and pieces.

This lead me to see if I can take the entire sunroof off the rails to order the parts and try fix it.

I was absolutely amazed how easy this was to do (risk free) 6 bolts the middle ones on either side do not need to be taken out just loosened. The whole glass roof comes off. no need to touch the headliner.

2min job.

Once this is off you can unscrew the plastic cover. I covered the entire plastic cover with foam sound deadener. and stuck additional foam in the grooves between the headliner and the plastic sunroof housing.

I was amazed how easy it is to take off and work on all the areas grease the rails and clean the surrounding area properly.

2min later the roof is back on the adjustment to make it level is simple and easy.

Over any surface the roof finally after 18mnths is rock solid. Open and closed over any surface their isnt a sound.

I am now waiting for the sunshade parts to refit. Not sure how easy this is.

Why there isnt a single post showing a picture of the roof off after all these years and all these problems is really confusing to me.

A child can fix this issue and the only way to properly do it is to remove the roof??

You need to open the roof about 150mm to get to the middle screws and leave it at that setting.
Loosen the middle screw
remove front screws
remove rear screws
lift glass off the rail
Cover plastic housing with thin foam sound deadening.
Insert foam into slots between headliner and bottom plastic housing
screw plastic cover back
place glass sunroof back in position by slotting/sliding the middle screws in the slots on the glass frame
insert from screws - make sure the front right position is tightened the same position as left
Insert rear screws as per front screws.
tight middle screws both side
close roof check if it sits flush
adjust back screws and front screws up or down to achieve flush position
loosen middle screws to reset the height and take pressure off the glass and retighten.

Jog done

Attachments

• PXL_20210819_224339375.jpg
    PXL_20210819_224339375.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,021
  • PXL_20210819_225419774.jpg
    PXL_20210819_225419774.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 495

LVE2DRV

Passed Driver's Ed
any chance on pictures where the bolts are located to remove the glass? have a rattle i cant resolve thats coming from the fabric shade somewhere by the aluminum frame but no clue whats causing it

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
any chance on pictures where the bolts are located to remove the glass? have a rattle i cant resolve thats coming from the fabric shade somewhere by the aluminum frame but no clue whats causing it
I found the screws, there’s one in the back accessible from outside, another in the front sides, then a third set accessible from inside the car. Haven’t removed the glass fully yet but those are the only screws that are accessible.

I don’t know what I’ll find afterward. Hoping some screws in the frame I can loosen and re tighten.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I found the screws, there’s one in the back accessible from outside, another in the front sides, then a third set accessible from inside the car. Haven’t removed the glass fully yet but those are the only screws that are accessible.

I don’t know what I’ll find afterward. Hoping some screws in the frame I can loosen and re tighten.
Does anyone know if this soft rubber/foam piece can be removed from the top? Not all mk7s have it. Trying to pry at it but no luck

Attachments

• 6339861D-3708-4097-8AB8-124688F8588D.jpeg
    6339861D-3708-4097-8AB8-124688F8588D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 160