GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another Stupid Tire Thread

Wolf799

Passed Driver's Ed
I hate starting threads that I should be able to find elsewhere but I couldn't find the specific info I wanted so...

I have 2 sets of stock wheels VW for my 2018 GTI SE and I have 2 options...

1: Replacing the stock tires with Summers. They will mostly be street but probably 2-4 track days over their lifetime. Thinking of up-sizing to 235s (I dont think 245s will fit). And then go with Performance Winters (though we don't get a ton of snow in Ohio lately with global warming)

Or

2: Max Performance All seasons (Also 235s) and a set of street legal track tires (thought i will only use them a couple times a year).

all that to say, what are your favorite:

Summer Max Performance Tires:
All Season Max Performance Tires:
DOT Approved Track Tires:
Performance Winter Tires

Thanks for the help!

P.S. not interested in replacing the stock rims at the moment since I already have 2 sets of OEM VW sitting in my garage.

7085628B-0336-4C9D-AEB0-5A3F86C0C3D0.jpeg

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Depends upon your budget. Since you're in Ohio I would go with the AS tires and dedicated track tires. Where in Ohio? I grew up there.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I’d get a set of performance all seasons (any set with best wet/snow performance tested) and a set of 200 treadwear track day tires.

Wolf799

Passed Driver's Ed
Any suggestions On the tire themselves. I had BFG Comp TA-2s on my previous GTI so would probably go that route for the AS. What track day tires do you guys like?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
if you have winter and summer tires, then you are not getting all seasons

I live in PA im doing the same thing. My summer wheels didn't come out yet but when they do im going to buy.

Winter setup: Nexus WinGuard Sport 2 (215/55/18) on the stock austins

Summer setup: General Gmax-Rs 235-40-18, which will be going on a 18x8.5 wheel (which need to be released to the public)

You say your doing the track 2-4 times which means maybe 1 time a year or 0 like myself lol. No street tire is ment for track but some can get by.

There is alot like a shit ton of threads on this, I dont wanna be that guy, but im gonna be that guy, if you look down the list every other thread is about tires. Also you can look on tirerack and see the reviews for each tire based on their category.

If you have money to burn, get Mich Ps4s, otherwise look here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...es-to-michelin-pss.372546/page-5#post-7415435 close this thread

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
It’s true you can get by on a performance street tire on the track (like a Firestone Indy 500), but I wouldn’t track a high mileage/Daily use performance set on the track. It may heat cycle out over extended use and can chunk/ delaminate at the track. I’ve experienced this first hand!

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
It’s true you can get by on a performance street tire on the track (like a Firestone Indy 500), but I wouldn’t track a high mileage/Daily use performance set on the track. It may heat cycle out over extended use and can chunk/ delaminate at the track. I’ve experienced this first hand!
for track, i would say any high performance tire can be ok for like 1-4 track days yes, but they are not ment for it, and if you are tracking (i never have lol im over here acting like i know hehe) but i would suggest running a true track setup, track tires, light wheels, track pads, track fluid, catch can, oil cooler :)

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
for track, i would say any high performance tire can be ok for like 1-4 track days yes, but they are not ment for it, and if you are tracking (i never have lol im over here acting like i know hehe) but i would suggest running a true track setup, track tires, light wheels, track pads, track fluid, catch can, oil cooler :)
I’m not referring to heat cycle of the performance tire ON the track. I’m referring to daily use of it on the street- THEN taking it to the track once or twice a year. The daily use tire may be heat cycled out already and chunk at the track. It happened to a set on my car back in ‘05, when I first started doing HPDE.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I’m not referring to heat cycle of the performance tire ON the track. I’m referring to daily use of it on the street- THEN taking it to the track once or twice a year. The daily use tire may be heat cycled out already and chunk at the track. It happened to a set on my car back in ‘05, when I first started doing HPDE.
ah i see, yeah jake had his indy 500 chuck on track, so i guess heavy street use, then go to track its more likely to chuck, #theMoreYouKnow

Wolf799

Passed Driver's Ed
Something like/comparable to a DWS 06 for A/S and an RS4 for track.
I had the DWSs on my Mk6 and and they chunked terribly. The comp TAs held up great and worked well at the track but it does cut down the life. I feel a dedicated track tie would be the way to go with AS for daily use.

ive never bought dedicated DOT track tires so if any one has experience or advice let me know.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I had the DWSs on my Mk6 and and they chunked terribly. The comp TAs held up great and worked well at the track but it does cut down the life. I feel a dedicated track tie would be the way to go with AS for daily use.

ive never bought dedicated DOT track tires so if any one has experience or advice let me know.
I would expect the DWS to chunk up at the track. I wouldn’t track an all season high performance tire. I only suggested them for All Season street/daily driving use.

For track use, today’s 200tw tires are all the performance your street car needs at the track. They communicate well, offer lots of grip and can take the heat.

You can go D.O.T. but when they break away- they break away!

See this fairly recent thread for lots of track tire discussion.... there’s plenty of 100tw and 200tw options discussed.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...de-tire-selections-with-one-condition.372089/

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
So you wouldn’t suggest a treadwear 300 (ps4s) for track? Or 360 (my gmaxrs)

The most I’d go is 240tw with something like an S007A .

I’ve been running a set of 220tw P Zero for a couple track days as an interim track option- they’re not setting any lap records but they held up great, communicated well- I’ve now switched them over strictly for daily driving.
The P Zero is an old tire design- I only ran them recently because I got them on super sale.

I now have a set of 200tw RT 615K+ waiting to see some track time once this mess blows over!

If I had a choice to get any track day set, I’d get the RS4.

Last edited: